Two questions - bidding for a cabin and a 12:30 flight out of Barcelona

Wildcatllamas

Good morning everyone!!!

I just got an email from Virgin to bid for an upgrade on my December 3 Scarlet cruise. One of the offers was for a Seriously Suite for $500. Very tempting, but I know there are only Mega Rock Star Suites left, and other then the bed, I am happy with my Terrace since it was the same cabin I had in 2021. If I were to bid for this are there any drawbacks to any of those cabins that I would regret if my bid was accepted?

My other question is there is a flight out of Barcelona next October on British Air that goes out at 12:30 pm. Is that doable. It is the first time I have seen a multi-city that was cheaper then flying back to London and doing R/T to Denver to London.

6 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

The 12:30 is very doable.  I flew out at 1:30 this summer and was a bit worried, I spent over 2 hours bored at the airport...

Thank you so much! I wouldn't mind spending another day in London but would really like to get back home. I don't trust my cats to not have wild parties and max out my credit card while I am gone.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

My other question is there is a flight out of Barcelona next October on British Air that goes out at 12:30 pm. Is that doable. It is the first time I have seen a multi-city that was cheaper then flying back to London and doing R/T to Denver to London.

THe airlines tell you to be at the airport 3 hours in advance for international, but that has been VERY generous at BCN when we have done it.   I've found myself as the only person at a not yet opened gate for 2 hours!  It is only a 20-25 minutes ride from the cruise port to the airport.  The only possible hangup is if the ship is delayed arriving or in Customs clearance (which must be completed before passengers can get off).  Normally disembarkation starts by 7:30, so unless there is a medical/legal/ship function issue, you're fine.  FWIW, my next flight from BCN after a cruise is 12:40, again because it was a good flight, good price.

• Like 1

I took an 11 am flight out of BCN to IAD (DC) and rushed off ship at 715ish and was to airport around 745. The United counter didn't open til 8 am or so and we stood around for a bit hungover. It was miserable.

The customs at BCN is nonexistent and you legit just walk off ship. I didn't know they didn't check passports when you came off the ship. So, you can be off ship and to airport within 30 minutes.

You will have no issue with a noon flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 8:17 AM, jcarter4551 said:

I took an 11 am flight out of BCN to IAD (DC) and rushed off ship at 715ish and was to airport around 745. The United counter didn't open til 8 am or so and we stood around for a bit hungover. It was miserable.

The customs at BCN is nonexistent and you legit just walk off ship. I didn't know they didn't check passports when you came off the ship. So, you can be off ship and to airport within 30 minutes.

You will have no issue with a noon flight.

It's the virtue of the Schengen zone and not having a version of the Jones Act, so on non-UK cruises they're just visiting parts of a single customs/immigration entity. It's one reason why I like to fly Icelandair, since I can clear European customs in a few minutes there and arrive anywhere but the UK without another passport check or wait in a long line, when I'm exhausted. Unfortunately, I read on the airport website in Iceland that starting next year they're being forced to be more stringent with passport checks, so to expect longer lines, and then the imposition of the entry form and fee will cause even more lines when people show up without it or aren't in their system. 

• Like 1

We booked on that flight and were slightly wary about making it. Felt less stressed when speaking to other people on board who had flights booked for 11am!

As it happened we were able to get breakfast, walk about 15 mins to the underground and comfortably be at the airport for before 9.30am ,so well in time. Think it was ship-to-airport in less than an hour.

Bear in mind though that not evertything may go as smoothly - late arrival in port, train strikes/delays, etc. Our flights were booked on airmiles so easily changable until late notice, also travel insurance could have been used as a last resort.