Spirit of Adventure Canary Islands and Cape Verde Nov 13 2023

Kenmure

Good day in Lanzarote all aboard 4pm and off in a still calm sea for Cadiz. Just back in cabin after an excellent dinner when the ship began to shudder and then the Captain came on. The shudder was because they had to turn the ship round and were now stationary beside a boat full of 30 immigrants from Africa who were bobbing about aimlessly in a boat no doubt destined for Lanzarote but were likely just to disappear in the North Atlantic. We were already four and a half hours from there. The ‘rules of the sea’ require that this must not be ignored as much as an SOS. Lanzarote had been contacted and were sending a fast boat out to take the matter in hand. This would take another two hours to reach us so we had to maintain contact with the boat which was now just off our starboard side. The occupants were told to make no attempt to board the ship and in further conversations in English and Spanish were told that help was on its way. The occupants reacted with cheering and clapping! Not sure of the total outcome but will no doubt hear from the Captain today. Certainly we appear to be going full speed ahead this morning!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kenmure said:

Good day in Lanzarote all aboard 4pm and off in a still calm sea for Cadiz. Just back in cabin after an excellent dinner when the ship began to shudder and then the Captain came on. The shudder was because they had to turn the ship round and were now stationary beside a boat full of 30 immigrants from Africa who were bobbing about aimlessly in a boat no doubt destined for Lanzarote but were likely just to disappear in the North Atlantic. We were already four and a half hours from there. The ‘rules of the sea’ require that this must not be ignored as much as an SOS. Lanzarote had been contacted and were sending a fast boat out to take the matter in hand. This would take another two hours to reach us so we had to maintain contact with the boat which was now just off our starboard side. The occupants were told to make no attempt to board the ship and in further conversations in English and Spanish were told that help was on its way. The occupants reacted with cheering and clapping! Not sure of the total outcome but will no doubt hear from the Captain today. Certainly we appear to be going full speed ahead this morning!

30 lives saved - well done P&O. 

• Like 1

Roy Walker when walking on the stage reminded us, when viewed from the back, of Joe Biden!

Cadiz weather was rather disappointing but as we’ve had two weeks of sunshine who we’re we to complain! We were going to do our own thing in the morning but by the time we got out there it started pouring with rain and back through security resulting in a ten minute trip! At least when we tried it in afternoon that was fine. Visiting the Cathedral and then walking over to the bay and beach but rather spoilt by a strong wind which didn’t exist on the other side. If you know Cadiz Harbour you know things are very tight. Previous vessels have had to be helped by tugs but the Adventure can turn 90 degrees on a sixpence. Day at sea follows, next stop A Coruna.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenmure said:

Roy Walker when walking on the stage reminded us, when viewed from the back, of Joe Biden!

Cadiz weather was rather disappointing but as we’ve had two weeks of sunshine who we’re we to complain! We were going to do our own thing in the morning but by the time we got out there it started pouring with rain and back through security resulting in a ten minute trip! At least when we tried it in afternoon that was fine. Visiting the Cathedral and then walking over to the bay and beach but rather spoilt by a strong wind which didn’t exist on the other side. If you know Cadiz Harbour you know things are very tight. Previous vessels have had to be helped by tugs but the Adventure can turn 90 degrees on a sixpence. Day at sea follows, next stop A Coruna.

I checked and he's 83 now!!

But still performing!

Lives in Lytham apparently next door to where Les Dawson also used to live

A Coruna was wet when we arrived in the morning but that soon stopped  but remained cloudy. Went for a walk rather than a trip as we have been here a number of times. Certainly a drop in temperature to 9c, no doubt preparing us for what was coming. At the moment we are coming out of the Bay of Biscay after a smooth crossing heading for arrival in Portsmouth  for 7am tomorrow morning. Hopefully a trouble free journey along the south coast home. Some of those from the north of England are becoming concerned about road conditions they might have on the way home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kenmure said:

A Coruna was wet when we arrived in the morning but that soon stopped  but remained cloudy. Went for a walk rather than a trip as we have been here a number of times. Certainly a drop in temperature to 9c, no doubt preparing us for what was coming. At the moment we are coming out of the Bay of Biscay after a smooth crossing heading for arrival in Portsmouth  for 7am tomorrow morning. Hopefully a trouble free journey along the south coast home. Some of those from the north of England are becoming concerned about road conditions they might have on the way home.

If anyone is travelling to Cumbria they have every right to be concerned, although hopefully things should improve by tomorrow  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67604834

We are back home and unpacked. Getting used to cold and rain again. We arrived at Portsmouth a little later than planned so disembarked about half an hour later than our initial time. All went smoothly apart from the porters in the terminal who were happy to put the cases on the trolley but not push it to the exit. There is an upward ramp to push it up so an almost running start was needed to push it up. Very comfortable car awaiting us. Fabulous cruise, caring staff, lovely food and of course perfect weather. We are already looking forward to our next cruise in February.

• Like 2

I’m very impressed that you have already unpacked!  We are on Canarian Christmas cruise, and are really looking forward to it. We’re being picked up at 10 am, so should arrive at the port around lunchtime.

Edited by LandC
Addition

I was on SoD's Christmas cruise last year. Take an additional small case or holdall - you'll need it for all the goodies you'll be given during the cruise. Either that, or don't pack your main cases to full capacity. This advice was given to me before the cruise last year, and I thought the person who offered the advice was joking. She wasn't. 

Edited by LondonLad60
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

My parents said it's the best cruise they've done and they've done many including silver seas, celebrity and lots of princess

They realise they've paid a lot for it though

Did they realise it though or was it you constantly reminding them of the cost🤔😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

My parents said it's the best cruise they've done and they've done many including silver seas, celebrity and lots of princess

They realise they've paid a lot for it though

Perhaps they appreciate that if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LondonLad60 said:

Perhaps they appreciate that if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Poor ICF likes his inside cabins on P&O and paying for all the extras and I think he’s worried his parents are turning into SKI’s 😂😂😂

• Haha 4

On 12/4/2023 at 6:00 PM, LondonLad60 said:

I was on SoD's Christmas cruise last year. Take an additional small case or holdall - you'll need it for all the goodies you'll be given during the cruise. Either that, or don't pack your main cases to full capacity. This advice was given to me before the cruise last year, and I thought the person who offered the advice was joking. She wasn't. 

Us too. Came away laden with goodies 😀 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, LandC said:

I’m very impressed that you have already unpacked!  We are on Canarian Christmas cruise, and are really looking forward to it. We’re being picked up at 10 am, so should arrive at the port around lunchtime.

You can decorate your cabin and door. Flame proof materials only. 

On 12/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, Mollag said:

Did they realise it though or was it you constantly reminding them of the cost🤔😂

No they themselves added that comment when telling me how great it was!!

Lol

I'm glad they had a brilliant time

They said they drank more than normal because it was all included

One complaint they did have (and they said others had the same complaint)

Was that champagne wasn't included - only Prosecco was included

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No they themselves added that comment when telling me how great it was!!

Lol

I'm glad they had a brilliant time

They said they drank more than normal because it was all included

One complaint they did have (and they said others had the same complaint)

Was that champagne wasn't included - only Prosecco was included

Glad they enjoyed it was really good but we found it a bit quieter than our Caribbean one last Xmas/New Year when the Britannia lounge dance floor  was bouncing every night, this time hardly anyone was dancing maybe a slightly different clientele. Can’t wait for next Xmas now but unfortunately a couple of P&Os to suffer first🤦‍♂️😂

9 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Glad they enjoyed it was really good but we found it a bit quieter than our Caribbean one last Xmas/New Year when the Britannia lounge dance floor  was bouncing every night, this time hardly anyone was dancing maybe a slightly different clientele. Can’t wait for next Xmas now but unfortunately a couple of P&Os to suffer first🤦‍♂️😂

But I imagine 2 P and O's added together are still cheaper than 1 saga?

My mum and dad paid 11k for 21 nights on saga from Southampton 

I think I could get approaching 55 nights ish  in inside saver on Iona for that including drinks and plenty of speciality all we would want