Canada and Northeastern US Itineraries

nursinadream

Any reviews from these cruises this fall?  We're interested in visiting these locations have done some land visits to the big Canadian cities ie Quebec City and Montreal but not the small Northeastern townships.  The brochure promotions are lovely though the views are not always as promised according to weather and other factors.  Would love to read some feedback for cruisers.

Thanks.

df

We just returned a week ago from the Montreal-Boston cruise on Insignia. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at each port and on the ship. Montreal is definitely worth an extra day. It was the last itinerary before repositioning for the winter and we had expected to find the fall foliage well past peak and to have poor weather; but the price was very good with the ESS sale and we had never been to many of the ports before. The exchange rate was great for US $, too. While it was definitely cold in some locations (highs ranged from 30's in Quebec to 50's in Boston), there was a lot more leaf color seen and we only had a little rain once in 11 days; snow showers one other time. We missed one port, East Port, ME due to weather. We did a mix of ship excursions and exploring on our own. The one caution is if arriving after Oct 31, it's the end of the tourist season and many places then shut down. This caused several excursions to be cancelled although they did try to find some alternatives. We were the very last cruise ship to visit in several of the locations. Our one disappointment, other than the missed port, was that on an otherwise good excursion to the Anne of GG museum on PEI, the shop was closed. Of course, that was the one place where I had promised to buy gifts for some of my younger family members! There was no time afterwards in Charlottetown for shopping where I had spotted items earlier in the day but had decided to wait until we got to the museum shop. oh well....

6 hours ago, britfan said:

We just returned a week ago from the Montreal-Boston cruise on Insignia. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at each port and on the ship. Montreal is definitely worth an extra day. It was the last itinerary before repositioning for the winter and we had expected to find the fall foliage well past peak and to have poor weather; but the price was very good with the ESS sale and we had never been to many of the ports before. The exchange rate was great for US $, too. While it was definitely cold in some locations (highs ranged from 30's in Quebec to 50's in Boston), there was a lot more leaf color seen and we only had a little rain once in 11 days; snow showers one other time. We missed one port, East Port, ME due to weather. We did a mix of ship excursions and exploring on our own. The one caution is if arriving after Oct 31, it's the end of the tourist season and many places then shut down. This caused several excursions to be cancelled although they did try to find some alternatives. We were the very last cruise ship to visit in several of the locations. Our one disappointment, other than the missed port, was that on an otherwise good excursion to the Anne of GG museum on PEI, the shop was closed. Of course, that was the one place where I had promised to buy gifts for some of my younger family members! There was no time afterwards in Charlottetown for shopping where I had spotted items earlier in the day but had decided to wait until we got to the museum shop. oh well....

There's always the internet, just don't tell them. 

• Like 4