RSSC (Regent) or Oceania - Any full time wheelchair users with first hand experience?

JSR

We are considering trying RSSC and Oceania's new ships. We have never sailed either product and have only taken one NCL cruise. We have 30+ cruises mainly on RCI products. I have a few questions: (Please if you do not have experience and are just speculating please be clear that this is the case).

Tendering - cruise lines have varying philosophies around tendering in theory and in reality. Example: Cunard will not let people in wheelchairs use tenders. RCI products will for the most part (with a couple of surprising exceptions in Europe) move heaven and earth to get a wheelchair user on and off the tenders. What is your experience tendering in a light weight manual wheelchair if unable to walk or stand on these two lines?

Do these lines offer help getting up and down ramps to disembark at ports? Where there any docked ports that they did not provide a means of exit and entry to those that used a wheelchair full time?

Please share any additional information regarding wheelchair accessibility you think would be helpful in deciding to try these lines are not. 

Thank you for your help!

• 1 month later...

We sailed on RSSC Voyager last April.  I use a lightweight manual wheelchair to get around.  We did not have any tender ports on our cruise.  When we arrived at our (non-embarkation/disembarkation) ports, the ramps set up were not wheelchair accessible.  When a wheelchair user would arrive at the ramp, they would convert the ramp to make it wheelchair accessible (making it wider and removing steps).  Then, the staff would assist in getting me off or back onto the ship.  It sounds complicated, but they had it down to a system that took just a few minutes, and since it is a small ship, it really was not at all disruptive.

@ysoldethank you for the information. Was the cabin and the ship accessible? What stood out in terms of accessibility both positive and negative? 

we are currently on Silver Nova, Silversea’s newest ship. Lots of pros and some cons in terms of accessibility. They do move heaven and earth to correct any cons they can. 

36 minutes ago, JSR said:

@ysoldethank you for the information. Was the cabin and the ship accessible? What stood out in terms of accessibility both positive and negative? 

we are currently on Silver Nova, Silversea’s newest ship. Lots of pros and some cons in terms of accessibility. They do move heaven and earth to correct any cons they can. 

There are accessible cabins on Voyager.  We did not have an accessible cabin, as I just need a walk-in shower, as long as I have a good grab bar to hold onto.  The cabin on Voyager was large enough to accommodate my wheelchair while I was sitting in it, and the walk-in closet was large enough to accommodate it at night, when I folded it next to our luggage.  However I know that others on this site have stayed in the wheelchair-accessible cabins on RSSC ships.  There are pictures on the RSSC board.

Voyager was wheelchair accessible.  I found it quite easy to get around in my small wheelchair (although some areas have very plush carpeting that can be a bit difficult).  The staff were quite helpful and never seemed to mind having people in wheelchairs and who otherwise have mobility issues on board.  From Compass Rose (the MDR) to the specialty restaurants, we were easily seated and always felt comfortable.  Finding a place to sit in the theater was similarly easy.  In fact, I found it easy to enjoy all of the ship's facilities.  When I had my hair done at the spa, I was supposed to meet my husband at Coffee Connection afterward.  He was a few minutes late.  This did not bother me, but the hairdresser just took me to Coffee Connection (one flight up) so that I could enjoy a cup of tea while I waited for my husband.  It was little details like that that really made the difference on RSSC.  A lovely ship with an outstanding crew.

The newer Oceania ships are adequate for someone in a wheel (but not their older ships).  Have you considered Viking?  We find they are the most wheelchair friendly, but we haven’t cruised with RSSC.    We loved their walk around deck.  Also their automatic, ada public bathroom. 

@ysolde and @dcsam thank you both for your input and information. 

We are considering all cruise lines. Nice to hear Viking is also an option. We are itinerary driven these days as we are in explore mode and up for trying new places.

We are currently on Silver Nova for 71 days. The ship itself is super accessible with automatic doors everywhere, accessible public restrooms are abundant, service exceptional, even a decent number of wheelchair accessible included tours. The only glitch was the interior designer did not allow adequate space for a wheelchair to get on the side of the bed, so the bed is rotated parallel to the headboard, the bonus the bed now faces out to the ocean and the downside is the bed side lamp can not be controlled from the bed and I have to get in the bed using my weak side. Maybe my weak side will get stronger. Lol 

The Nova is a ship we may consider for Alaska. Only thing holding me back is their dressy dress code.

Since you’re aboard her now, I have a couple questions, if you don’t mind.
  Are there any public restrooms for the ada person only (I often accompany my husband into the restroom)?  What is the restroom situation like in the spa area?  

Thank you

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2024 at 11:23 PM, dcsam said:

The newer Oceania ships are adequate for someone in a wheel (but not their older ships).  Have you considered Viking?  We find they are the most wheelchair friendly, but we haven’t cruised with RSSC.    We loved their walk around deck.  Also their automatic, ada public bathroom. 

Have not found Viking to be accessible-friendly. On many of their Ocean ships, you potentially have to pay thousands more to upgrade to an accessible cabin (penthouse junior suite).  Many of their Ocean ships do not have accessible veranda cabins. Also, mobility scooters have to be approved. I was told this could only be done after booking.  For these reasons, we have eliminated Viking Ocean cruises from consideration.