St Thomas - Mom + 2 preteens. Looking for easy beach or

seasidemama

Hi, second time taking the kiddos to St. Thomas port. last time we took a shared van/shuttle to megan's bay and the beach was so crowded it was highly unpleasant. Looking for an easy to get to (from RCL port) nice looking beach with chairs/umbrella rentals. Any suggestions highly appreciated.

Another option would be an excursion like the Kon Tiki Party Boat and Beach Fun or similar  - if doing an excursion I would prefer a water transfer rather than a vehicle. Would love any recommendations or tips. 

Depends on the experience you want of course…

Our favorite beach is Sapphire, the amenities you want are there, and there is space to find a nice spot. You could head to a beach on STJ and include an island tour, just need to add ~1.5 - 2 hrs to your travel time.

47 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Depends on the experience you want of course…

Our favorite beach is Sapphire, the amenities you want are there, and there is space to find a nice spot. You could head to a beach on STJ and include an island tour, just need to add ~1.5 - 2 hrs to your travel time.

Thanks. What is SJT? I was hoping for something that's not more than 30-40 minutes away.

18 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

Thanks. What is SJT? I was hoping for something that's not more than 30-40 minutes away.

“STJ” is St John, a sister island that some folks go to for the beaches. 

The East End beaches including Sapphire are beautiful and are a 30 - 40 minute taxi from Crown Bay.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is a nice enough beach and is just a 5 minute taxi from the port. The Emerald Resort has a restaurant, restrooms, and a beach bar, and you can rent lounges and umbrellas there. That would be an easier day, as long as you don’t need to go into town and snorkeling isn’t important to you?

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is often suggested for cruisers docked at Crown Bay, it’s been a favorite for many over the years. But today it’s just too crowded like Magens so you wouldn’t be happy there…

Your port date and how many ships are in port also makes a difference for suggestions…

On 11/20/2023 at 9:35 AM, blue_water said:

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is often suggested for cruisers docked at Crown Bay, it’s been a favorite for many over the years. But today it’s just too crowded like Magens so you wouldn’t be happy there…

Your port date and how many ships are in port also makes a difference for suggestions…

This.  Take a quick ferry ride over and back.  Ferry is easy walk from RC port.  Big beach area, great food and drinks a Dinghy's Beach Bar. check out their web cam to get an idea of the beach area.  I've been there three different times myself.

22 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

This.  Take a quick ferry ride over and back.  Ferry is easy walk from RC port.  Big beach area, great food and drinks a Dinghy's Beach Bar. check out their web cam to get an idea of the beach area.  I've been there three different times myself.

Thanks

Have you checked on the number/sizes of ships in port that day yet? What is your port date? I ask again only because Honeymoon Beach and other beaches can get sooo busy today versus 10 years ago…

If you do more research and read reviews you’ll find many who loved going there in years past - especially for Heidi’s Honeymoon Grill - go elsewhere today for that reason…Heidi’s has move to the top if Providence Hill and is a great spot for your lunch, and Dinghy’s is fine. But the beach area is actually quite compact and can be as crowded/tight as Magens…Especially when the excursions drop guests off at Dinghy’s for lunch and take up much if the beach.

The “ferry” is also very small and makes multiple trips over and back. So for your return you want to get in line early. Although we’ve seen day visitors who were early in line get overrun by others who just got there and they had to wait for the ferry to return. When you get off the ferry you can rent a golf cart or walk to HB, or there may be a person offering a ride for tips. So just something to be aware of.

So not to beat a dead horse, you just said you were hoping for a nice beach but not crowded like Mahens Bay, and I don’t want you to be surprised! 

Looks nice right now! I’m going by what others who loved HB tell me, we haven’t been in a few years because it was so crazy there…

Yes, it depends on the number and size of ships in both ports, but even one RCL in CB can make it quite crowded…

Edited by blue_water