Antarctica onland excursions w/ Silversea - how much walking?

MillyDM

Hello there, 
I'm a total newbie on this platform, and I researched this topic but didn't find a suitable answer to my questions.

I'm booked on an Antarctica Expedition cruise on Silversea next month (boarding on Dec 18 2023).

It's clear that muck boots are essential for shore landings... but it's unclear if they're good to walk in on the on-land excursions.

We're used to doing a fair amount of trekking on the snow, with or without snowshoes, so I know how important it is to have the right boot.

With the rented boots not having any lacing system, I wonder how suited these boots are to walk on the snow extensively. 
Am I wrong in expecting we'll walk for at least a couple of hours on the snow each time? how much walking is usually done on these excursions?

Because, if there's a bit to walk, I was thinking of using muck boots for shore landings but then changing into my regular trekking boots for the walking/hiking parts.

Alternatively, if these excursions are "less active" and there's much less to walk, then keeping these muck boots on, is the best solution (and I'll save on traveling with heavy boots, but just casual footwear)

What do you think?
thanks in advance
milly

Good questions, we had the same before our Silverseas Antarctic cruise a few years ago (note my avatar).

You need those boots as you do get out of the zodiacs in ankle deep water.  And they are fine for walking on the shores.  My wife bought her own boots as she found a cheap but high quality pair in a Clearance sale for less than the rental was going to cost.  She did the same with water pants.  I rented both.  The boots are flexible enough that walking for 30-60 minutes wasn't uncomfortable.  We wore a few layers of socks for warmth, that also kept our feet from slipping around and being a blister issue.

The "hardest" hikes were one onto snow (technically a glacier, I guess) which was steep, and poles made that much easier, and Deception Island, where you walked 20-30 minutes up the side of the Caldera (and back).

• Like 2

Just now, MillyDM said:

Thank you @Nitemare for the feedback!

One last question... given we're going there at the end of December, which is their "summer" how much snow is actually on the ground?

Glad to help.  Best cruise we've ever taken!

We were there in February.  Lots of bare patches then, most of the stops you would have had to travel beyond the marked perimeters the SS staff set up to even make a snowball.  I would expect December might have more snow since it is earlier in the summer there.

Pics are of the steep snow area and of one of the other landings with bare ground.  Be prepared for penguin poop to be everywhere

image.png.645a059a14872cde114d69a1066dcdd5.pngimage.png.96fa2596c0465b6c33b334edb3be3c16.png

I've done 4 lengthy trips - using the ships loaner Muck Boots on first trip then my own on the next 3 trips. 

They have good ankle support and a good thick tread for walking. 
Never needed to change into other boots on shore and have never seen anyone else do it. 
Aside from it being time wasting - you want every valuable second on shore - you would be doubling up on pre and post landing cleaning etc. 

Unless you are doing something like Oceanwide's Basecamp climbing type activities where a certain kind of footwear is needed - you won't need anything extra on shore. 

• Like 1

@PerfectlyPerth thank you for your feedback. 
Without knowing how active the on-land excursions are, I imagined something requiring a certain degree of physical shape and relative equipment.
But it sounds like it's not going to be anything too challenging.

I was concerned about how wobbly my thin feet may be inside the rented muck boots, but I'll double down on a multi-layer sock system to keep everything in check - hoping it works. We'll take band-aids with us to take care of possible chafing or blisters.

Wow, you've done 4 trips already! sounds like you've become a pro Antartica explorer. well done. Any other tip you can share is super appreciated.

• Like 1

It doesn't sound like you are doing the super active Basecamp style itinerary so at most you are going to have an hour to maybe three of strolling on pebbly shores and possibly up onto ice/snow covered region. 

I'm a long way from physically fit and I managed just fine - given my trips went to regions that can no longer be reached and involved multiple kilometres of walking in knee deep ice to get to emperor colonies for an entire day. 

The boots are very well made and insulated. I never got blisters from them (and I'm the queen of blisters when breaking in normal shoes). I only ever needed a single pair of normal merino hiking socks. Nothing more. For thin feet - yes perhaps wear a liner sock then a normal hiking sock to fill the gaps. You can also bring your own orthotics as the boots have removable inner liners. 

My Mucks have been to Antarctica and the Arctic considerably more often than me as I have loaned them to multiple friends and even people here on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. I've also worn them on snow and/or muddy hikes (well - lengthy strolls!!) here at home over the years. 

So I really wouldn't over think the boots so much. You will get to try on various ones for size once on board & try out how many socks will work best for you. 

At 4 trips totalling 70% of the circumference over 116 days - I'm a mere amateur polar expeditioner. I've met many people on my trips who are on their 20th expedition. ❄️🐧🦭

impressive record @PerfectlyPerth, your stats seem a lot, to me at least! 🙂
good tip about the orthotics, as i always wear them and wouldn't last too long walking without them, let alone out there.

Thank you again for your feedback, I'm now more at ease on this topic, and will not take my hiking boots with me (less weight), but just comfortable shoes to wear on board! take care - milly

Yes being able to remove the Muck Boot liners and pop my own orthotics in really helped my plantar fasciitis on the landings where I knew I had lots of walking or standing planned. If it was just a helicopter flight seeing or zodiac cruising day I left the Mucks own liners in (they are nicely padded anyway). 

Worth noting - for others reading - being able to remove the inner liner is also handy for those who have (I never know what it's called) a high "top of foot". Just gives that extra bit of space inside for the foot to slide on in. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@PerfectlyPerth
i wanted to thank you for your suggestions. 
The rented Muck Boots were perfect; inserting my inner soles helped tremendously, and with the thicker socks (I wore 2 pairs), my feet were pretty stable/comfortable inside those boots, totally unexpectedly. I wear size 39-40 on regular shoes, and chose size 10W. I could have sized down to 9, but I preferred to keep their insulated inner soles and inserted mine on top of theirs.

For those who would read this thread, I'd like to tell you that "trekking" is an overstatement on Silversea's part. If you're an active hiker-trekker, the landings are very short (and safe), so don't expect much of a workout. However, it is a stunning experience nevertheless.
I had rented trekking poles, which I used because we went up a short hill on a couple of landings, but Silversea had extra poles (many!) that anyone could use. So you can avoid taking yours or renting them.
hope this feedback can help others interested in taking the Antarctica cruise,  and thanks again @PerfectlyPerth for your help! 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MillyDM said:

@PerfectlyPerth
i wanted to thank you for your suggestions. 
The rented Muck Boots were perfect; inserting my inner soles helped tremendously, and with the thicker socks (I wore 2 pairs), my feet were pretty stable/comfortable inside those boots, totally unexpectedly. I wear size 39-40 on regular shoes, and chose size 10W. I could have sized down to 9, but I preferred to keep their insulated inner soles and inserted mine on top of theirs.

For those who would read this thread, I'd like to tell you that "trekking" is an overstatement on Silversea's part. If you're an active hiker-trekker, the landings are very short (and safe), so don't expect much of a workout. However, it is a stunning experience nevertheless.
I had rented trekking poles, which I used because we went up a short hill on a couple of landings, but Silversea had extra poles (many!) that anyone could use. So you can avoid taking yours or renting them.
hope this feedback can help others interested in taking the Antarctica cruise,  and thanks again @PerfectlyPerth for your help! 😉

Ohhh my pleasure. Glad the Mucks worked well for you. I look forward to hearing more about your whole trip ❄️🐋🐧

Good tip for others re the poles & the fact that spares are carried on board. 

• Like 1