Best company to take me to Belize Zoo?

Thoenix

Belize Zoo has a couple of species on my evolutionary biologist wife's bucket list (species that only a couple of zoos in the US/Canada have and every time we've gone to see them, they haven't been on display).  We'd really like to go, but there aren't many tour operators taking people to Belize Zoo.  Has anyone contracted a group to take you there from the Belize City cruise port?  Good bad and ugly reviews requested!  There would be three adults to go to the zoo.

23 hours ago, Thoenix said:

Do we need to pre-book a taxi or are there safe taxis at the port proper? 

Safe taxis at the port.  Be sure to look for a green license plate.  Look for newer vehicles. There aren't meters, fares aren't regulated so be sure to negotiate in advance. I think it shouldn't be more than Belize$150 (US$75).

Some cruisers only doing the zoo, have gotten there by bus.  It's a lot cheaper. You need to take a taxi to the bus terminal.  I've heard take a regular bus not an express. About a 45 minute ride. Not sure about where to catch a bus for the return. I can't opine any more on that.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

Safe taxis at the port.  Be sure to look for a green license plate.  Look for newer vehicles. There aren't meters, fares aren't regulated so be sure to negotiate in advance. I think it shouldn't be more than Belize$150 (US$75).

Some cruisers only doing the zoo, have gotten there by bus.  It's a lot cheaper. You need to take a taxi to the bus terminal.  I've heard take a regular bus not an express. About a 45 minute ride. Not sure about where to catch a bus for the return. I can't opine any more on that.

This is great info!  Do you know if there will be taxis at the zoo to get back or do we need to have the zoo call a cab?

2 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

This is great info!  Do you know if there will be taxis at the zoo to get back or do we need to have the zoo call a cab?

Something to discuss with your original driver.  I don't think there are taxis waiting for pick ups at the zoo unless waiting for someone they dropped off. But ride sharing is a common practice for taxis in Belize.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hired "King David."  He personally drove the two of us to the zoo, introducing us to all of the animals, and then to another stop I had requested.  We also went into the jaguar cage for that experience to give the zoo more money.

3 hours ago, shoptom said:

I hired "King David."  He personally drove the two of us to the zoo, introducing us to all of the animals, and then to another stop I had requested.  We also went into the jaguar cage for that experience to give the zoo more money.

How did you find him? 

• 2 months later...