Here we go again!

amurray88

54 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

You need to make sure you are looking at cabins that have the same logo sign. The others may different and have sideways beds as the have no additional bunks for extra passengers which are probably the ones you have stayed in. There are very few the same as the @amurray88

I thought that they would have left the bunkbeds for passengers who might need them - it's strange that they've given us them. We'll see what they respond. It seems there will be very very little room at the side of the bed if we do queen beds....and we are used to interior cabins so quite happy with small spaces but this seems VERY tight.

5 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I thought that they would have left the bunkbeds for passengers who might need them - it's strange that they've given us them. We'll see what they respond. It seems there will be very very little room at the side of the bed if we do queen beds....and we are used to interior cabins so quite happy with small spaces but this seems VERY tight.

It's because your booking is for 3 so despite your not needing it the system states you must have 3 beds available.

It's an oddity of the system  computer says ...

• Like 1

Just now, Megabear2 said:

It's because your booking is for 3 so despite your not needing it the system states you must have 3 beds available.

It's an oddity of the system  computer says ...

Yeah - I guess it (kind of) makes sense. Just hoping the bunk beds don't get in the way too much. First world problems...

3 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Yeah - I guess it (kind of) makes sense. Just hoping the bunk beds don't get in the way too much. First world problems...

Your inside would have been the identical size.  Yes, they are tight.  Mind you Arvia's are even tighter yet I saw lots of babies and children going into them.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

Looking at the cabin diagram on cruiseshipplanner for these cabins on Princess, both options seem to have the walk in wardrobe, so you should be able to place the cot there and have the Queen bed setup.

• Like 1

Looking on The Azura deckplan, cabin A421 has a diamond type symbol against it and the key to the symbols confirms that A421 "has two additional beds in the form of pull-down beds"

However there is an explanatory note further down on the list which states:- "All pull-down beds in twin cabins are accessible via a ladder. When pull-down beds are in use, lower beds cannot be converted to a double"

If you are planning to have a cot, and will not be using the pull-down beds for your baby, then maybe if you explain that to P&O they might be able to override the "computer says no" impasse that you are experiencing. Good luck

Edited by arlowood
  • Like 1

This is frustrating, but I imagine there's nothing can be done to get around "computer says no" - 3 in a cabin = 3 beds = pull-down bed needed = can't have a queen bed... regardless of the fact you will be using a cot. I'm sure this will be sorted quickly once onboard, but you're right to get annoyed by this, it should not be this difficult!

• Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, CaptainPedantic said:

This is frustrating, but I imagine there's nothing can be done to get around "computer says no" - 3 in a cabin = 3 beds = pull-down bed needed = can't have a queen bed... regardless of the fact you will be using a cot. I'm sure this will be sorted quickly once onboard, but you're right to get annoyed by this, it should not be this difficult!

Phone up P&O, make sure they have reserved you a cot, and tell them that you want Queen beds.

Computer should say yes. As long as its not fixed beds, it's operator area.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For those that have been following...since September I've been trying to change my twin beds on Azura to Queen. I've been told it's been fixed, it's not been fixed, I can sort it on board and no way will they do it on board as it's a fire hazard (ALL of this info has came directly from P&O).

Long story short...I have been told today that Azura has some fixed twin beds due to fire regulations and it just so happens I'm in one of those rooms.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? We're in an outside cabin. Can't believe the hassle!

Thanks!

Like others have said, according to the deck plan, your cabin E421 does have additional beds in the form of two pull down beds. However nowhere on the deck plan (in the brochure) does it state that the twin beds are fixed.

Who has told you that they are?

In the brochure it does state that the twin beds cannot be converted into a double if the pull down beds need to be used. Hence, you should be able to have them converted considering you have a baby requiring a cot. Once onboard you should be able to request that your cabin steward alter the layout.

Any good TA should have explained the implications of the different fares and not choosing your cabin yourself. Plus they should have given you advice on which cabins would be most suitable to your needs. 

I noticed earlier that you mentioned you had been upgraded. An upgrade is considered an upgrade if you are assigned a different cabin type (inside to outside, outside to balcony) or an improvement in cabin grade (for example getting a more midship location, or going from standard to superior stateroom). Hope that helps. I have double checked, and E421 is not above the theatre. 

Edited by CarlaMarie

We have stayed in E deck cabins with the pull down beds and it was configured as a queen.  I found it quite difficult getting out of bed without banging my head on the pull down beds even when not in use we got them changed to twin during the cruise has I thought I had concussion. 

I believe if the pull down beds are in use then it is not possible to have a queen configuration. They must think because there are 3 people in the cabin the drop down bed is in use. 

• Like 1

Family cabins and prices

If you’re travelling with children or teenagers our family prices on Arvia, Azura, Britannia, Iona and Ventura offer generous reductions, utilising the extra beds that are contained in a number of cabins. In twin cabins these extra beds are pull-down beds which your cabin steward will stow away by day (please note in selected Arvia, Azura, Britannia, Iona and Ventura cabins there are sofabeds instead; see deck plans for details). To calculate the family price, the first two occupants pay the adult price for the grade concerned minus any applicable savings, then add the reduced price for a child/teenager aged 2-17. Family reductions can vary by cruise, so talk to your travel agent or call our Customer Contact Centre for the reduction amount of a specific cruise. Azura, Britannia and Ventura have a number of cabins that can accommodate a travel cot for an infant aged over 6 months and under 2 years. In these cases you pay the rates available from our Customer Contact Centre. There are limited infant, child and teen places available on all cruises. It is advisable to book as soon as possible if intending to take advantage of the family prices offer. Please note family prices are not available on the first two occupants or on single occupancy, and family prices do not apply on Arcadia or Aurora - these ships are exclusively for adults. Please note there is limited availability for cabins with additional occupancy. For more information call our Customer Contact Centre on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply).

https://www.pocruises.com/essential-information/family-cruising

Thank you - I understand people mentioning the deck plan and that they've never had this issue...I've never seen anything like it either but the information from P&O is coming directly from their "Senior Guest Support Representative" from the "Office of Paul Ludlow CEO" so I can only hope that the person is senior enough to know? And she is in direct contact with head of housekeeping onboard Azura.

It all just seems strange. I put the point to them that for a company who are actively trying to promote their image as family friendly where in the past it's maybe been slightly more mature in their clientele base, they're not making a great impression on families. Their response was the newer ships are made for families 🤷‍♂️ which I get - but don't advertise your company as family friendly and then give families the hassle that we've had. Very odd.

I am still hopeful of:

A) a resolution before we go (doubtful given we travel in 2 weeks and been told not to expect any major response over Christmas and New Year.

B) a resolution on the ship like everyone has suggested where it just gets done.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if the deck plans were that wrong. Many families will have stayed in these cabins before, as well as couples, so P&O would have had to update the deck plan by now if the beds were fixed. 

On YouTube there are videos showing Ventura's cabin E507. This is the same cabin type as your E421 on Azura. The videos show the cabin in both a twin and double configuration.

The fixed twin bed cabins only accommodate two passengers, and are located on deck 5.

• 2 weeks later...

2 days before we go and P&O have just confirmed they are NOT fixed beds, indeed you were all correct and despite being told multiple times otherwise, they WILL give us queen beds. 

What a way to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Thank you all! Without promoting another cruise company, it has been a SAGA!

• Like 9