Grill suites coffee question

Thetis22

10 minutes ago, NE John said:

It all depends on how Julius Cesar liked his latte…

It is one of the greatest mysteries of history how the Romans managed to conquer so much of the world without having coffee, tea, or orange juice to get them started in the morning.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It is one of the greatest mysteries of history how the Romans managed to conquer so much of the world without having coffee, tea, or orange juice to get them started in the morning.

So true...  Or tomatoes.  Perhaps they found inspiration from the idea of future Cunard ships bearing Roman geographic names.  🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfred said:

So true...  Or tomatoes.  Perhaps they found inspiration from the idea of future Cunard ships bearing Roman geographic names.  🙂

No chocolate either. Worse and worse. 
And with the availability of hot baths and central heating, I’d have wanted to stay at home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

One measure of wine, two measures of water (except for Trajan, who would take three measures of wine neat for breakfast).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I haven’t even really tried, though no doubt I would fail as my Italian is less than fluent. Do you think Latin would do? Much easier to get some from somewhere.

Latin would certainly permeate the language wall.  He often uses Latin phrases around the house, and I’m sure continues on cruise mornings.  Unlike the macchina di caffe, I switch off.

12 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps the machine is northern Italian, like my husband.

5 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

One measure of wine, two measures of water (except for Trajan, who would take three measures of wine neat for breakfast).

Depending of course on the grape variety, it could go quite nicely with his Cunardia  doggie bag of cold Duck l'orange!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

If he comes from near Trieste, his ancestors could even be Austrian, which would give another language for communication. 😀

He’s Friulano, Austrian, yes, till around 1914.  Friulano is a distinct language, not a dialect. I had two languages to learn when we married so long ago.  Friuli is a beautiful alpine region.  

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

He’s Friulano, Austrian, yes, till around 1914.  Friulano is a distinct language, not a dialect. I had two languages to learn when we married so long ago.  Friuli is a beautiful alpine region.  

Is Fruliano a Germanic or Romance language?

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Is Fruliano a Germanic or Romance language?

Germanic.  Interesting:  a few years ago, out of interest, we underwent DNA testing.  Mine, as expected, is Celtic (Scottish Highlands, Northern Ireland, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall) with a good measure of Viking.  Mario’s is only 7% Italian.  The rest:  mainly Celtic, with a touch of Viking.  The Celts, originally a central Germanic tribe, spread to Britain, and also occupied Friuli for the better part of a millennia.  Our children remarked that this is rather creepy😂.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Germanic.  Interesting:  a few years ago, out of interest, we underwent DNA testing.  Mine, as expected, is Celtic (Scottish Highlands, Northern Ireland, Somerset, Devon, Cornwall) with a good measure of Viking.  Mario’s is only 7% Italian.  The rest:  mainly Celtic, with a touch of Viking.  The Celts, originally a central Germanic tribe, spread to Britain, and also occupied Friuli for the better part of a millennia.  Our children remarked that this is rather creepy😂.

Interesting. I don’t follow this sort of thing much, but vaguely remember a TV programme where they analysed the DNA of some prehistoric bones found in a Somerset village, and were amazed to discover that several of the current inhabitants were descendants.

Anyway to return to the coffee thread that gives him two language groups to use on the machine.

• Like 1