SCUBA on expedition ships

FlaviaOfTheMonth

Flavia, Have dived all of the AOW required dives in the past (not recently) - for the love of it - just never asked or thought to be certified for them.  We live in a cold water area -55 degree water temp right now - too cold for me.  Just returned from a long trip to NZ where I could have accomplished AOW but was not told it was necessary for diving on the Pursuit voyage.  Only stumbled upon the requirement looking for something else on their website.  Not eager to make another trip to warmer waters between now and the Pursuit in April.  Am thinking of booking scuba with on shore peeps during the trip instead of using the included scuba excursions. Sigh....

Fitsylist55 - Your info has been really great.  Thank you.  How's it going out there on the Pursuit?  Still enjoying?

On 11/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, markandjie said:

Good to know re Windstar. I looked at Nat Geo for Galapagos and they don't do any diving. Once Pursuit gets out and does the South Pacific I think we'll have a better sense for it. 

We are booked on the Pursuit in May from Guam to Papua New Guinea. In addition to questions on the scuba program (they list scuba as an activity (along with Snorkeling) at most of the ports/islands to be visited) I also have questions on the availability of kayaks. The itinerary/excursions ($200 excursion to kayak) only lists kayaks as being available in Guam, where we board the ship. It's hard to believe that they can't offer kayaking at the other stops(weather/sea conditions excepted). We took an Antarctic cruise with Silversea and kayaking was offered at most stops except those with weather/sea condition problems). The information on the Seabourn site is very much lacking with regard to the expedition cruises.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:03 PM, frantic36 said:

We will be doing Papua New Guinea & Indonesia next year where I hope to snorkel and I am sure reading about some of the small islands SCUBA & snorkelling should be good. Also doing Kimberley but with crocs and big sharks there I can't see it can be possible.

We are on the May 15, 2024 cruise from Guam to Papua New Guinea/Solomon Islands. Will you be on this cruise? I have the same questions on the availability of SCUBA and Kayaking

On 12/29/2023 at 12:23 PM, Fitstylist55 said:

The Pursuit is stunning! The suites are beautiful with very well thought out features (walk-in closet door is the one flaw I see—ask for a stopper). 

About to go to my kayak safety briefing and I will inquire about snorkeling opportunities. 

As you were going Kayaking on your cruise, I was wondering how they handled the Kayaking. We are on the May 15th South Pacific/ Papua New Guinea cruise starting in Guam. They list kayaking as a $200 "excursion", but only have it listed for Guam, none of the other stops/islands/ports. Did they offer Kayaking at multiple stops (weather/sea conditions excepted) on your cruise? Did they only show the Kayaking as an 'excursion' at one port, but had availability to choose the location you wanted to kayak? Any information is appreciated.

43 minutes ago, BillK400 said:

The itinerary/excursions ($200 excursion to kayak) only lists kayaks as being available in Guam, where we board the ship.

This is how they do kayaking signups now. You sign up before boarding and then once on the ship when they open up signups those who signed up precruise get first access to the available slots. Then the rest of the slots go first come, first serve to anyone. If you keep your eye on the app you can usually sign up multiple times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markandjie said:

This is how they do kayaking signups now. You sign up before boarding and then once on the ship when they open up signups those who signed up precruise get first access to the available slots. Then the rest of the slots go first come, first serve to anyone. If you keep your eye on the app you can usually sign up multiple times.

Thanks! I just signed up for the Kayaking. The "assignment" of day/time for Kayaking being later on in the cruise was noted deep into the excursion info for our cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BillK400 said:

We are on the May 15, 2024 cruise from Guam to Papua New Guinea/Solomon Islands. Will you be on this cruise? I have the same questions on the availability of SCUBA and Kayaking

No, we are on the cruise following. We start in Sydney with a charter flight to Honiara.

From my reading on hear there have been no ports as yet that have been suitable for snorkelling or scuba so no one here can explain their experience. @Fitstylist55 was kind enough to find out information while onboard Pursuit about SCUBA. I was planning to get my TA to check with Seabourn closer to sailing date about snorkelling equipment though I will take my own snorkel. 

22 hours ago, frantic36 said:

No, we are on the cruise following. We start in Sydney with a charter flight to Honiara.

From my reading on hear there have been no ports as yet that have been suitable for snorkelling or scuba so no one here can explain their experience. @Fitstylist55 was kind enough to find out information while onboard Pursuit about SCUBA. I was planning to get my TA to check with Seabourn closer to sailing date about snorkelling equipment though I will take my own snorkel. 

Since they are not providing equipment for SCUBA besides tanks and weights, I doubt masks and fins will be offered. I know I prefer my own, in any case. 

Am booked on the April 15 very cool Pursuit itinerary. But was told this evening that snorkeling could be "small" groups of 10-20 peeps. 😞 Might need to brave 55 degree water at home to get the AOW.  😤 🥶

Will keep people posted.  

Please share any information you find out about activities and excursions on this cruise.  We are on this cruise as well for 30 days from Papeete to Guam.  We are divers but lately have been primarily snorkeling.  Have our Advanced dive certs but they are quite old so not sure if they will be acceptable. 

6 hours ago, kej1 said:

Please share any information you find out about activities and excursions on this cruise.  We are on this cruise as well for 30 days from Papeete to Guam.  We are divers but lately have been primarily snorkeling.  Have our Advanced dive certs but they are quite old so not sure if they will be acceptable. 

I was told that you need to have been diving within the past six months.

Thank you to Fitstylist55 for getting this information for us.  I did finally after a number of attempts receive additional information from Seabourn.  

For snorkeling they will have equipment for passengers to use on the ship should one decide not to bring our own.  For divers as Fitstylist said people will need to bring our own gear although they will provide masks, fins, weight belts  and tanks.

For diving the information stated divers must bring all dive certification cards, and must have completed at least two open-water dives within the last 12 months prior to the start of the voyage.  One must also complete the PADI Diver Medical Questionaire and a Physicians Evaluation form.  If the diver is required to see a physician it must be done 6 months prior to the start of the voyage.  Diving will be limited to 100 feet and no more than 60 min.  Evidently this is as of lately posted ( or going to be posted) when you click on excursions for the voyage you’ve signed up for with a bit more detail.  I hope this helps clarify a bit more and again thank you to Fitstylist55 for talking to the expedition team!  
so for my husband and me we will be snorkeling as it’s been too long since we last did open water dives and our cruise is in April!  Hope this helps others!

• Thanks 3