Kavala to Bulgaria

Coolcruise02

We have a port stop in Kavala Greece and would like to go to Bulgaria. (US passport) Does anyone have experience or advice on crossing the border at Exochi/Ilinden? Also, any recommendations for a driver or tour company? I tried looking for a mini-van to rent but since there are 6 of us, and I'm not having any luck. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

We have a port stop in Kavala Greece and would like to go to Bulgaria. (US passport) Does anyone have experience or advice on crossing the border at Exochi/Ilinden? Also, any recommendations for a driver or tour company? I tried looking for a mini-van to rent but since there are 6 of us, and I'm not having any luck. Thanks!

Bulgaria is a member of the EU. Shouldn't be an issue crossing into Bulgaria.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

We have a port stop in Kavala Greece and would like to go to Bulgaria.

Is there a particular sight of interest to you in Bulgaria which is attracting you to a corner of the country? Or a different compelling reason?

Ā 

The reason I am asking, is that you would miss one of the top sights/attractions in the Macedonian region of Greece.Ā  I am referring to the Royal Tombs of Vergina and there should be much info and images to be found online which might just tempt you to stay in Greece.Ā  And if you are renting a vehicle or booking a private tour, that would be perfect as it would make the journey easier.

Ā 

Not too many threads or posts on CC, but as mentioned, there should be plenty references online as the Royal Tombs are of significant importance..Ā  Here are the CC search results containing the word Vergina which you may find interesting to read.:

Ā 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=vergina&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

Ā 

If not tempted to stay in Greece, wishing you success finding a rental or private company to get you to Bulgaria.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Is there a particular sight of interest to you in Bulgaria which is attracting you to a corner of the country? Or a different compelling reason?

Ā 

The reason I am asking, is that you would miss one of the top sights/attractions in the Macedonian region of Greece.Ā  I am referring to the Royal Tombs of Vergina and there should be much info and images to be found online which might just tempt you to stay in Greece.Ā  And if you are renting a vehicle or booking a private tour, that would be perfect as it would make the journey easier.

Ā 

Not too many threads or posts on CC, but as mentioned, there should be plenty references online as the Royal Tombs are of significant importance..Ā  Here are the CC search results containing the word Vergina which you may find interesting to read.:

Ā 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=vergina&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=463

Ā 

If not tempted to stay in Greece, wishing you success finding a rental or private company to get you to Bulgaria.

Isnā€™t it a bit of a drive to Vergina from Kavala? Iā€™ve only done it from Thessaloniki, but Google says it would take about 2.5 hours one way.

Ā 

Kavala is pretty close to the famous ancient ruins of Philippi, as a different alternative to Bulgaria.

7 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

#1 reason for going to Bulgaria is one of our group lived thereĀ 

#2 it's not that we are "not tempted" to stay in Greece but our cruise has many stops-Kavala-Thessaloniki-Volos-Athens

#3 if we wanted to do this tour, it would be better from Thessaloniki

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Isnā€™t it a bit of a drive to Vergina from Kavala? Iā€™ve only done it from Thessaloniki, but Google says it would take about 2.5 hours one way.

Ā 

Kavala is pretty close to the famous ancient ruins of Philippi, as a different alternative to Bulgaria.

Yes, we are planning on visiting Philippi, 30 minutes from Kavala and then 1.5 hrs from Philippi to Gotse, Bulgaria.Ā  We are in port from 8-6.Ā 

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ā 

I would love to hear what you did in Kavala and Thessaloniki. DIY? Ship tours?

Did you write any reviews?

11 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I would love to hear what you did in Kavala and Thessaloniki. DIY? Ship tours?

Did you write any reviews?

I was just in both Kavala and Thessaloniki (second time for each) in October.

Ā 

At Thessaloniki I arranged a private guide to take me to see the archaeological sites associated with Alexander the Great (e.g., Pella and Vergena, as well as the museums at both placesā€”these are separate from the museum of the royal tombs at Vergena, which is the one Edinburgher mentioned and which I visited on my first time, along with the fabulous archaeological museum in Thessaloniki and the nearby Roman sites (the Arch of Galerius, Rotonda, Roman Forum).

Ā 

In Kavala I took the ship tour to Philippi to see the extensive ruins of the ancient city and site of the famous battle in which the forces of Marc Antony and Octavian defeated the armies of Cassius and Brutus, putting paid to the main plotters of the murder of Julius Caesar. In this case, the ship tour did a good job of it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

#1 reason for going to Bulgaria is one of our group lived thereĀ 

#2 it's not that we are "not tempted" to stay in Greece but our cruise has many stops-Kavala-Thessaloniki-Volos-Athens

#3 if we wanted to do this tour, it would be better from Thessaloniki

#1 what a lovely reason to visit that part of Bulgaria.Ā  The "one" in your group will be excited to revisit.Ā  We only visited Varna and Nessebar.

Ā 

#3.Ā  I think I may have confused Kavala and Thessaloniki as we didn't travel anything like 2 1/2 hours each way.Ā  As it was only an afternoon shorex, it must have been from Thessaloniki. My intention is to never give incorrect orĀ  misleading information, but have to hold hands up this time with apologies to any readers who got confused..

Ā 

#2.Ā  I know this is definitely correct!Ā  We visited Meteora from Volos and were blessed with good weather and could enjoy the views of the monasteries to the max.

Ā 

OP should you not yet have made plans for your stop in Volos, Meteora is a bit distant but a very special sight.

Edited by edinburgher

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was just in both Kavala and Thessaloniki (second time for each) in October.

Ā 

At Thessaloniki I arranged a private guide to take me to see the archaeological sites associated with Alexander the Great (e.g., Pella and Vergena, as well as the museums at both placesā€”these are separate from the museum of the royal tombs at Vergena, which is the one Edinburgher mentioned and which I visited on my first time, along with the fabulous archaeological museum in Thessaloniki and the nearby Roman sites (the Arch of Galerius, Rotonda, Roman Forum).

Ā 

In Kavala I took the ship tour to Philippi to see the extensive ruins of the ancient city and site of the famous battle in which the forces of Marc Antony and Octavian defeated the armies of Cassius and Brutus, putting paid to the main plotters of the murder of Julius Caesar. In this case, the ship tour did a good job of it.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, edinburgher said:

#1 what a lovely reason to visit that part of Bulgaria.Ā  The "one" in your group will be excited to revisit.Ā  We only visited Varna and Nessebar.

Ā 

#3.Ā  I think I may have confused Kavala and Thessaloniki as we didn't travel anything like 2 1/2 hours each way.Ā  As it was only an afternoon shorex, it must have been from Thessaloniki. My intention is to never give incorrect orĀ  misleading information, but have to hold hands up this time with apologies to any readers who got confused..

Ā 

#2.Ā  I know this is definitely correct!Ā  We visited Meteora from Volos and were blessed with good weather and could enjoy the views of the monasteries to the max.

Ā 

OP should you not yet have made plans for your stop in Volos, Meteora is a bit distant but a very special sight.

I just booked this ship excursion during the Black Friday sale...... 50% off!

7 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I just booked this ship excursion during the Black Friday sale...... 50% off!

Bargain!šŸ˜€Ā  We are usually independants but due to the distance we also booked it as a shorex.

Ā 

Hope you get a good weather day.

On 11/26/2023 at 3:09 AM, edinburgher said:

Bargain!šŸ˜€Ā  We are usually independants but due to the distance we also booked it as a shorex.

Ā 

Hope you get a good weather day.

We also typically DIY and that is why I was looking for experiences in going to Bulgaria from Kavala. I really can't find much. I would normally rent a car but since there is 6 of us we would need a mini-van and none of the rental companies list any on their websites.

14 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I would normally rent a car but since there is 6 of us we would need a mini-van and none of the rental companies list any on their websites.

As they may be able to access vehicles of different sizes, in that situation, you may need to look at booking with a local tour provider should one offer what you are looking for, although a guided tour wasn't your first choice, or have you tried looking to see if there are trains or buses travelling between Kavala and whichever town you plan to visit in Bulgaria?

Edited by edinburgher