Best cruise itinerary (help choose between 3 options)

TravelAsh

Hi 

Which of these cruises is best: 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/au/find-a-cruise/a4s07b/n446

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=A431

https://www.ncl.com/au/en/cruises/7-day-alaska-vancouver-to-seward-glacier-bay-skagway-and-juneau-JEWEL7VANKTNJNUSGYHGCSWD?destinations=4294949410&numberOfGuests=4294949461&package=cruise-only&sortBy=date_nearest&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&cruise-only=1&itineraryCode=JEWEL7VANKTNJNUSGYHGCSWD

- Does the Princess go through the Inside Passage? It looks like maybe not (and I would like to see this). 

- Is it better to see the Inside Passage on the north or south bound trip? Will it be dark? 

- I know NCL has less favourable port spots, but would this make a big difference?

- NCL doesn't say what times it goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier - does anyone know?

Also planning on doing a DIY land tour around Seward/Whittier etc, but not booked yet so don't mind if it's beginning or end. We are married mid-30s, no kids. Would prefer a cruise with good food and not family friendly, but itinerary is more important so not a deciding factor. Cost isn't an issue. 

Thanks!

Welcome to CC!

NCL tenders in Juneau which is a negative. All 3 itineraries are good - I would put NCL last because of tendering in Juneau and docking in Ward Cove in Ketchikan (away from downtown Kethcikan - though you have enough time to see things downtown with out being rushed). I would probably also put them last as they usually don't have much Alaska programming (speakers, etc...). All ships that go to Glacier Bay does have rangers on board for that day.

Princess does do inside passage but plans can change at the last moment (on any line).

You most likely will spend the same amount of time period in Hubbard and Glacier Bay on each itinerary so this doesn't matter.

Whittier has a great 26 glacier cruise but beyond that, I wouldn't spend any more time in Whittier. Seward is a gem.

One ways will have less large families compared to RT out of Seattle or Vancouver. I couldn't tell what month you planned on sailing.

I would choose between HAL and Princess. HAL can trend a little bit older age wise but it is a toss up in Alaska as Alaskan cruisers are usually older on one way cruises.

Edited by Coral

Thanks Coral, that's really helpful. I think I'm leaning towards the HAL if it's an older age - less kids! I've never cruised before and it's not really my thing (not interested in the waterslide vibes etc). Just overnight cruises in Doubtful Sound New Zealand which was incredible. I'd probably be more interested in the luxury Alaska cruises but they're probably out of budget. And I'm not great on boats so want something decent sized. 

When is the best month to go? I can go whenever. Thinking of July to also time it with the land portion and maybe a bear trip. Looking at 2025 so when would I need to book (so far away!)? 

Thanks!!

On 11/24/2023 at 3:34 PM, TravelAsh said:

- Does the Princess go through the Inside Passage? It looks like maybe not (and I would like to see this). 

- Is it better to see the Inside Passage on the north or south bound trip? Will it be dark? 

The entire "Inside Passage" runs from south of Seattle to Skagway. These days, cruise ships sail a very limited part of the Inside Passage.

Provided the Princess ship is not a "Royal" Class, they normally sail the narrow channels between the mainland and Vancouver Island. The timing is dependant on the tides at Seymour Narrows, which is around Campbell River, as ships can only transit the narrows +/- 1 hrs of slack water. Departing Vancouver at 17:00, it takes at least 5 - 6 hrs to sail the 100 miles up to Seymour Narrows. Therefore, Northbound you transit this area at night, as by sunrise, the ship has already cleared Blackney Passage.

On a Southbound, they again aim for a Seymour Narrows tide that permits early AM arrival Vancouver. This provides most of the Inside Passage in daylight, at least close to the Solstice in June/July.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The entire "Inside Passage" runs from south of Seattle to Skagway. These days, cruise ships sail a very limited part of the Inside Passage.

Provided the Princess ship is not a "Royal" Class, they normally sail the narrow channels between the mainland and Vancouver Island. The timing is dependant on the tides at Seymour Narrows, which is around Campbell River, as ships can only transit the narrows +/- 1 hrs of slack water. Departing Vancouver at 17:00, it takes at least 5 - 6 hrs to sail the 100 miles up to Seymour Narrows. Therefore, Northbound you transit this area at night, as by sunrise, the ship has already cleared Blackney Passage.

On a Southbound, they again aim for a Seymour Narrows tide that permits early AM arrival Vancouver. This provides most of the Inside Passage in daylight, at least close to the Solstice in June/July.

The ship they posted was the Grand Princess.

• Like 1

All 3 hit Glacier Bay.   Check

All 3 are one-way cruises.  Check

HAL in June   Princess in September.  Not sure on NCL if the links are the exact cruises you want.  June is high season, September is shoulder and weather can be iffy.   My first (and only) was in September and had a blast.  Even on the 2nd night when it was stormy and 3/4 the passengers missed dinner because they were in their cabins puking. My wife and I were in the Crows Nest having a blast.  Missed dinner because we would not leave the Crows Nest (HAL Westerdam)

HAL and Princess are the Longest cruise lines to Alaska.   Not sure if you care about that.

I have heard boarding in Vancouver can be a pain on days when there are multiple ships.   So the NCL one worries me.   -1

The NCL one ends up in Seward and you could stay there and do Kenai Fjords the next day.  That is a plus in my mind. +1

So it is close.

HAL Noordam 1924 people.  Grand Princess 2600.   For me, less is better.  you might choose the opposite.   A quick view of the two ships.. not sure if one or the other has more entertainment.  

HAL skews to the older crowds but I do not think Princess is far behind.  NCL?  Not a clue.  Plus it is Alaska, in Summer.  There will be kids.

Look at the port times and see what works for you.  I like the HAL times more than the Princess.  They are close but HAL seems slightly longer and slightly later.

For me, when I was choosing, I chose southbound.  I chose to fly into Anchorage 2 days before the cruise and drive to Seward to do a Kenai Fjords cruise.   Then drive back to Anchorage and take the train or bus to Whittier then board the ship.  Then cruise and fly home.  Have some fun in Alaska, have an awesome cruise then go home.  That was my thought on Southbound.

FYI, I am on the HAL cruise you selected.   So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

With you being in your 30's, I would lean more towards Princess.  But nearly 700 more people is a thing.  I could have done the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam which is slightly bigger than the Noordam.  But decided to go with the older and slightly smaller Noordam.

All in all, I think you have 3 great itineraries.   I lean towards HAL or Princess due to the experience they have in Alaska, and then you are comparing some pretty small differences.   But one of those small differences might be very important to you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by SirTomster

NCL would be my last choice for Alaska because, as mentioned, Ward Cove in Ketchikan and tendering in Juneau.  Not much difference between HAL and Princess.  In Alaska, go for the itinerary not the ship.  You should do some comparison shopping between the small ship lines and the bigger ones.  When you consider that Viking, Oceania, and  some of the expedition lines (stay away from Alaska Dream cruises and Uncruise) include airfare, alcohol, some shore excursions, and also have some good deals, it may not be as expensive as you think.

• Like 1

I would go with HAL or Princess.  Me, I like the smaller ships.  I would be picking HAL. Any tender is a no go.  I've sailed with HAL lots-Princess once.  I would not sail with anyone other than HAL or Princess.  And I would not trust Viking or Oceania based on past history of what they've done to their cruisers in the past.  Also, I prefer independent ship excursions as well-smaller, usually better quality, and cheaper.

6 hours ago, sambamama said:

I would go with HAL or Princess.  Me, I like the smaller ships.  I would be picking HAL. Any tender is a no go.  I've sailed with HAL lots-Princess once.  I would not sail with anyone other than HAL or Princess.  And I would not trust Viking or Oceania based on past history of what they've done to their cruisers in the past.  Also, I prefer independent ship excursions as well-smaller, usually better quality, and cheaper.

Just out of curiosity, what dreadful things do Viking and Oceania do to their passengers?  

20 hours ago, sambamama said:

Please advise how many times have you cruised with Viking and Oceania, as I sincerely hope your comment is based on personal experience.

Having actually sailed with both Princess & Viking, in my personal experience Viking treats pax vastly superior to Princess. Spent 40 yrs with Princess, both cruising and working for them, and you couldn't pay me to suffer one of their ships again. Our son also worked for them, so between us we have 17 yrs experience, providing sufficient experience how they treat employees. Viking's employee contracts are vastly superior to Princess.

With respect to HAL, I have friends who cruise with them, but since I haven't, I will not comment on the information I have, as it isn't personal experience.

I too am curious about that comment about Viking and Oceania.  I would cruise Viking in a heartbeat.

But regarding Princess and HAL, if that's the toss-up, I would pick HAL.  Bigger and more comfortable staterooms, nicer lounges with better views, and nicer ships.  Princess wins with entertainment, but that's about it.  

40 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I too am curious about that comment about Viking and Oceania.  I would cruise Viking in a heartbeat.

But regarding Princess and HAL, if that's the toss-up, I would pick HAL.  Bigger and more comfortable staterooms, nicer lounges with better views, and nicer ships.  Princess wins with entertainment, but that's about it.  

Princess has pretty good Alaska enrichment programs. I have had great naturalists in Alaska on Princess. 

Edited by Coral

I have been to Juneau three times in a little over a year on the Jewel and not once did we tender in Juneau. NCL usually docks at the pier furthest from town - a short shuttle bus ride. I think perhaps the only time that NCL might tender is if there are two NCL ships in town at the same time.

Dennis

8 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

I have been to Juneau three times in a little over a year on the Jewel and not once did we tender in Juneau. NCL usually docks at the pier furthest from town - a short shuttle bus ride. I think perhaps the only time that NCL might tender is if there are two NCL ships in town at the same time.

Dennis

The itinerary says "tender" in Juneau. So they will be tendering and this is a negative.

Just because you did not tender on your 3x doesn't mean anything about other dates.

Edited by Coral

On 11/25/2023 at 10:47 PM, Heidi13 said:

Provided the Princess ship is not a "Royal" Class, they normally sail the narrow channels between the mainland and Vancouver Island.

@Heidi13 thanks for all the great insights in your posts.  We're booked Northbound on the Royal Princess for our first Alaska cruise.  Curious as to what we should expect by comparison, or if us first-timers will even notice?

2 hours ago, psg872 said:

@Heidi13 thanks for all the great insights in your posts.  We're booked Northbound on the Royal Princess for our first Alaska cruise.  Curious as to what we should expect by comparison, or if us first-timers will even notice?

Since the Royal Class take the longer route up the Pacific Ocean, similar to Seattle based ships, they may spend less time ashore. The Royal Class also don't have the Promenade Deck, which is a great spot when viewing glaciers.

Due to their poor handling characteristics, they are more likely to miss ports in inclement weather.

Enjoy your first Alaska cruise.

• Like 1