Zaandam Outside Public Areas?

RobTheGob

In late 2019 we did a 34 day cruise on the Amsterdam and I LOVED the outside public areas. Areas that MOST passengers didn't even realize existed!

For example, you could exit at the aft of the deck 2 and take the stairs to deck 3. There was a door around the corner on deck 3 that took you into some stairs that went up to decks 4 & 5 (past the MDR) to deck 6. From there, you could go to the aft stairs again and go up to deck 7 & 8. It was a great way to quickly go from deck 2 to the Sea View Pool! On many decks, the loungers were barely used - it was like having out own multi-level aft balcony!

You could also go to forward on deck 6 and exit the side doors to a public area under the bridge and go up the outside stairs to deck 8.

Similarly, the bow was also usually fully open to passengers - accessible from an unmarked door on deck 3.

The HAL deck plans never showed many of the these doors or stairs. Some deck plans from other sources occasionally showed some of the stairs, but not all of them.

When the Amsterdam was sold - I realized two remaining ships had virtually the same deck plans (Zaandam & Volendam). But again - HAL doesn't show much information regarding these areas (I assume they'd like to be able to put a "Crew Only" sign without any notice, so avoid advertising the areas).

We're considering booking on the Zaandam and these areas really stood out for me. Booking a DD oceanview a few doors from the aft exit on deck 2 worked well for us last time. On the two HAL cruises we did in 2022 (Konnigsdam & Nieuw Amsterdam) - I really missed having this kind of access. On those ships - similar doors were marked Crew Only.

Has anyone been on the Zaandam (or Volendam) lately that can confirm if any or all of these areas are still accessible? I've done some CC and Google searches and most of the info is old...

In 2022, the Volendam aft Decks 6 and 7 were open to the public.  Doors were marked as Emergency Exit but that was just their secondary use.  Stairs were available to go up to the aft Lido. 

I'm not sure about all of the other public areas you mentioned.

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

In 2022, the Volendam aft Decks 6 and 7 were open to the public.  Doors were marked as Emergency Exit but that was just their secondary use.  Stairs were available to go up to the aft Lido. 

I'm not sure about all of the other public areas you mentioned.

Thanks.

No - the areas I was mostly curious about was the aft area of deck 2 and the stairs between deck 3 and deck 6. If we cruise on the Zaandam or Volendam - I'll find out!

22 hours ago, cruisin'teach said:

Deck 6 (bow) great place for viewing. Get there early - it gets crowded!

Thanks. I have some video from a storm we passed through late at night from the deck under the bridge - it was amazing (but very wet). Pitch black and then intense lightening, followed by pitch black again!

I found it was very rare to see people out there on the Amsterdam - but it was always the SAME people! Haha. But I suspect that more and more passengers find out about these areas and then they tell two people, who tell two people, etc...

I think most people don't explore like I do and/or see a door and assume that entry to prohibited (even though it's not marked so).

Last year the ms Zaandam aft area of deck 2 was open and accessible.  Eventually a lounge chair appeared.  🙂   I did not explore the other outer decks and stairs.  You will probably be very happy.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Thanks 1

On Volendam earlier this year, we used the deck 2 aft area a number of times.  We got some amazing shots of the Panama Canal by being so low on the ship.  When we asked the room steward if it was ok to access it through the emergency exit door, he said that was just fine.  As you mentioned, there is also a stairway from the promenade deck above which also allows access to this space.  As far as cabins in that area, they might not be great for those sensitive to noise.  There is a large mechanical room just under that area and when in use (i.e. when anchors are being dropped) it can be quite loud.

Have a terrific cruise!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RobTheGob said:

But I suspect that more and more passengers find out about these areas and then they tell two people, who tell two people, etc...

And soon afterwards, you notice that Kevin Bacon is standing next to you, enjoying the deck view. (Six Degrees of Bacon)

• Haha 3