Which beach is best with littles?

Rosy1013

I've never cruised with kids before, so this is all new to me! I'll have an 18 month old and a four year old. Which beach should we go to with very calm water, and most importantly, how do we get there? I'd rather not spend tons on car seats just for this one port. I'd read that booking excursions through the ship is usually a good way to go, but seems like five is the minimum age limit. Any help here is appreciated! 

What ship/date please? You will get more useful feedback with that info since there are two ports, and it can be a busy island! 😄

Without that info I would say our first choice would be the Emerald Resort in Lindbergh Bay. The resort has the Caribbean Fusion & Emerald Beach Bar, nicer restrooms than many beaches, and lounge/umbrella rentals. If docked in Crown Bay it’s a short taxi.

I would avoid Water Island/Honeymoon Beach because of the work getting there with the kids. I’d also avoid Magens, Coki, and Secret Harbor…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 2

Your ship is going to be ported at Crown Bay. 

Please find the exact date so blue water or Ms411 can find out how many ships are in port. They can then determine the best beach for you and your little ones. 

On St. Thomas as with many of the other islands in the Caribbean. What you do, what tour you take, which beach your going to spend your day at is determined by the number of ships porting in Charlotte Amalie. 

That's just simply what it is.

You and your children are going to have a wonderful day regardless.

22 minutes ago, Rosy1013 said:

Hi, ship is Oasis, date is in April. Can't remember the exact date. Thanks for the info!

So yes you are in Crown Bay with another large ship docked in Havensight, both 7 - 4 according to the VInow schedule.

So with the little ones, the Emerald Resort in Lindbergh Bay would be our choice. Many beach options, but Emerald is a short taxi from the ship and the easiest beach day and should be more comfortable than Magens, etc…

Edited by blue_water
Typo

No, TTEllis, I was not at Taphus. Bluewater already answered.

There should be a thread on visiting StThomas with littles, because there are often questions and I think there is official and unofficial rules regarding car seats when safari taxis are the mode of transportation. I need to check. 

14 hours ago, Ms411 said:

No, TTEllis, I was not at Taphus. Bluewater already answered.

There should be a thread on visiting StThomas with littles, because there are often questions and I think there is official and unofficial rules regarding car seats when safari taxis are the mode of transportation. I need to check. 

Oh brother I was only kidding. Wish I was there anyway.

You do need to check on the Safari Van debacle especially with children. 

I've posted several times about bouncing all over safari vans. She can take her children in seatbelts in what we call up here a soccer mom van.

They have them at Crown Bay I've caught several. No safari vans with the kids. Shouldn't be a problem.

I know you were kidding, but others reading may not. I have to defend my reserved reputation.😊

Back to the topic of little ones. Little ones need more protection from the sun than big people, and I often see visitors with babies in arms and the child's head and skin are exposed. Please keep them covered and in the shade as much as possible. 

• Thanks 1

I've never seen a lot of children on a beach on St. Thomas. 

I see lot's of families on Eagle Beach Aruba, the baby is always covered up in a baby chair under a palapa

Seemed like lots of locals who were doing the family beach day and had it all figured out. Eagle Beach is very family friendly 

I can't imagine not completely covering up a baby even covered with baby sunscreen. 

Gosh I don't even like thinking about that, poor little things. 

The only baby's I saw on St. Thomas were sitting in there strollers with they're moms sitting in the Magens Bay bar getting out of the sun. 

With very little shade a Magens Bay all the parents were sitting or standing around the bar with a baby stroller just sitting there. There's nothing you can do about it, except BYOB and that's what I do on Magens. 

I see kids 3+ mostly at Coki and Secret Harbor. I see recommendations to bring Nesso tent in your luggage so you can have your own shade. They seem to be a popular item on St John forums.

I have seen active parents with infants strapped to them out in the water and in kayaks. They seemed to have made a plan and were well equipped and prepared.

Yes those little tents I've seen those, those are the only way to go, they eliminate any misunderstanding.

Whatever it takes to keep the sun off a child's skin, taking a baby to the beach is a GREAT idea it just needs to be done properly and it can be. 

If I was a baby in a little sun tent with the sound of the ocean in the background. That's life. 

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think of Smith Bay, is it easy to get to and get access to shade? We have a 2 1/2 year old, looking for a quiet, uncrowded beach with restrooms and shade. We are tentatively booked for the Secret Sands excursion with the ship, but we typically hate cruise excursions.