Which itinerary is the best?

Hello,

Which of the 3 Itineraries is the best for a first time visit to the Adriatic coast? 

1.  NCL Getaway 10 day Cruise Greek Isles, Santorini, Mykonos from Istanbul, November 6, 2024

2.  NCL Dawn 10 Day Cruise Greek Isles, Santorini and Croatia from Venice (Trieste) October 17, 2024

3. NCL Viva 9 Day Cruise, Greek Isles, Santorini, Mykonos & Croatia from Venice (Trieste) - October 10, 2024

I like itinerary #1 a lot, and really like that the cruise starts in Istanbul (so I would plan to do a few precruise days there).  I also like the fact that the cruise goes to Olympia, Koter, Dubrovnik, Split and Koper.  I'm just concerned about how late in the season the cruise starts in early November.  I'm really interested in seeing some of the archaeological sites in Greece, but would like to have somewhat sunny days as well.

I like itinerary #2 as well.  Do you think it's too late in the season?

November can bring the risk of rain and cooler days but there are still sunny days as well and many fewer tourists. The farther north the port (like Istanbul), the greater risk of rain and cold.

All of the itineraries are nice, and if Istanbul is a big draw, then having several days there is a good idea. That itinerary does miss Athens, but perhaps you’ve already been there. As someone who loves archeological sites, I highly recommend Kusadasi, Split, and Olympia, as well as the island of Delos (easily reached from Mykonos). I also think Ravenna, with its splendid early mosaics, is very worthwhile.

• Like 1

Going to the Greek Islands, late in the season, does have its pros and cons.  The main pro is that the crowds will be much smaller (although that huge ship provides enough of its own crowd) and you will certainly avoid the sweltering heat that can make the summer season very uncomfortable.  The downside is that on Santorini and Mykonos there will be some closures of cafes and shops (there will also be some places open).

Kusadasi should be fine, but we would suggest booking a private tour/guide well in advance since there will be fewer guides available that time of the year.  And when it comes to Kusadasi we strongly recommend a small private tour...and not a large group cruise tour.  Make sure your tour of Ephesus includes a visit to the Terrace Houses (an extra entrance fee and not always part of large group tours).  Our "go to" tour company in Kusadasi is Ekol  (this company will also provide tours in Istanbul...if desired).  

Hank

On 11/30/2023 at 3:02 AM, Mademoiselle22 said:

Which of the 3 Itineraries is the best for a first time visit to the Adriatic coast? 

What nobody has mentioned so far, is that sunset falls early in November, and although at first glance some of the timings on your port calls are mid or quite late evening departures, bear in mind it may be dark long before you sail which would likely impact your sightseeing time.

Suggesting that you check on November sunset times in your ports as  the number of hours of daylight between arrival time (and some ports have arrival at early afternoon)  and sunset time might help you decide.

Edited by edinburgher

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on two eastern med cruises, lots in the western med. 

i like cruise 2 best.  I would stay two nights in Venice  pre cruise because Venice deserves it, but Trieste, nice as it is, is a couple of hours away by bus or train.  You can also overnight in Athens to make the most of a beautiful and interesting city.  You still get to visit Istanbul.  

I have been on several November cruises - loved the off-season calmness.  One year we got caught in a storm that meant a cancellation of our port stop in Naples.  It is a risk, we did not feel that it spoilt our cruise, but of course we had been to Naples before.

I cannot recall sunset being an issue for us, really it is Santorini that has the big sunset ‘thing’.   I think that it is overrated,  sunsets can be beautiful everywhere.  One of the problems of an early sunset in Santorini is that you have to get back to the ship after dark.   The steps are dangerous in the dark.  We shared a tender back with a lady who found this out to her cost.  She avoided the cable car because she was scared of heights and ended up with a nasty break to her leg when she slipped.    Crowds will not be an issue in November though.  

So at the end of the day I think it is about the ports you embark/disembark.  You might need to watch some youtubes or read some blogs about the ports.

happy planning