Bosphorus Cruise/Istanbul

Can't find any previous reference to the Bosphorus Cruise options. According to the Turkey Travel Planner website, there are quite a few ways to take this excursion. I am specifically interested in taking the cruise that goes as far up toward the Black Sea as possible. I believe there is one that turns around w/ an extended lunch stop that takes maybe 5-6 hours (is that 5-6 hours round trip or one-way). I would greatly appreciate any info you might give regarding exactly which tour boat operators do this tour. And more specifically, which ones are the most modern & comfortable & where the starting point is?

Hi,

There are two opportunities for Bosbhorus cruise.

1- Regular boat trip : One departing at 10.30 a.m from Eminonu which is going almost up to Black Sea by calling both sides of Bosphorus ( Asian & Eurepean). Rolund trip takes arround 4-5 hours including a lunch break at Rumeli Kavagi, very closed to Black Sea.

Again the same trip second one every day,departing at 2.30 p.m from the same ferry station.

The cost of this round trip is arround US$ 6 per person

2- There are some small private boats are departing from the same area. But I don't know the time and the cost of those trips.

Good luck

We plan to take the ferry when we visit Istanbul in October. The last stop is at Andalou Kavagi which is on the Asian side. That is where you exit and have lunch. You then can return via the same ferry. I believe it is a 1.5 hour ride each way with a 2+ hour lunch stop. Here is a response I received when I posted this question on virtual tourist:

RE: RE: Ferry Question????

Posted:*Wed February 01 12:59:46 2006 EST

Dear karen, As time passes you will be a Turkey expert. Let me give you some information about the landing bridges. 1. Eminonu (Departure) is just infront of Yeni Cami, the New Mosque. Eminonu is one of the two ends of Galata Bridge. Eminonu is on the old historical part of Istanbul. Eminonu is on Europa. 2. Besiktas on the Bosphorus. After pasing the Dolmabahce Palast you will arrive to Besiktas. Besiktas is on Europa. 3. Kanlica is on Asian part. That means you will cross the Bosphorus. Yougurt is the most famous speciality of Kanlica. I am sure you know yougurt. Some people usualy sell in the ferry. I advice you to buy and taste. Not very expencive.

4. Yenikoy is on the European side. That means you will cross from Asia to Europa. While sailing to Yeniköy you will pass under the bridge binding the two continents. On the way you will pass the great Fortress of Rumeli or European Fortress. On the other side in Asia there is also a little Fortress which is called Anadolu Hisari the Asian Fort. 5. Sariyer is on Europa side.

6. Rumeli Kavagi is on Europa ****7. Anadolu Kavagi (Arrival)is on Asia.

During your sail you will be sitting in the ferry. Only in Anadolu Kavagi you will leave the ferry. The ferry will stay there on the landingbridge for the return. Anadolu Kavagi and Rumeli Kavagi are the last stations on Bosphorus. After that is the Black Sea. On Anadolu Kavagi there are many fish restaurants just on the sea shore. before offering fish please ask the price and handle with the waiter. Otherwise you will pay too much money. On the hill just 20 minutes walking distance there is a grave of a Turkish Derwish called "Telli Baba" Telli Baba is very famous for finding husbants or wifes for unmarried youngesters. You must visit him. Very intersting. After marrage the newly married couples vist him and lay a bridgesstring. Tel means string.Telli means stringer.

If you don't want to return with the ferry you can have the "dolmus" minibus, to Taksim. Dolmus is a minibus shared with 14 people.

Marty

The public Ferry is very easy to use and its fun. There will be large numbers of people on board and you can talk with them. There will be guides with groups aboard. One suggestion try to avoid the weekends as the Ferry gets crowded. It goes up to a point near the black see which you can see from the ship. There is a hike up to a castle that you can do and return in time for the ferry.

The non public ferry/sightseeing ships, are shorter but don't get you up as far and are about $20.00 per person.

Does anyone happen to know if you can board a ferry, or a sightseeing boat, and cruise back to Eminonu from a stop on the European side? We would like to visit Dolmabahce, Yildiz, and Ortakoy in the morning, then continue our drive up the European side, and board in Yenikoy. (Or do they allow boarding in Anadolu Kavagi on the Asian side?) Unfortunately we can't spare the time to cruise round trip, and we'll be jet-lagged that day, so we wanted to get our walking done in the morning, then take a relaxing sail back to Eminonu. Thank you for any information.

You can get ferries up and down the bosphorus leaving all the time. To Dolmabache you can take the tram that gets you almost there. Over the golden horn and get more Ferry info. Its about one Euro. If you take a cab which is not that expensive either watch the cab drivers they will try to get you to over pay using new turkish money when the meter is in old(old NY cab driver trick)

smeyer > "they will try to get you to over pay using new turkish money when the meter is in old"

Thank you for the warning, especially since we'll be worn-out following the long flight over there. I'm so glad to hear the ferries run up and down all day, thanks again.

We loved Istanbul. On our first night there we were fighting the dreaded jet lag and trying to stay up as late as possible. We walked down a street and a tout from one of the rug stores asked us where we are from(they do this for a number or reasons-to find out where you are from and to gage how much you can afford-the people from the US are liked because they spend money) and we said NY he asked if we knew Brooklyn(we live in Brooklyn) He asked if we knew Atlantic Avenue- we live three blocks from Atlantic Avenue. He asked if we knew a store named Pomegranite - My wife said she did he said that's my brothers store- its a small world. He told us about the ferry. He was very nice offered us Tea and we went back sometimes to watch him sell rugs to others. We bought two the last night before we left...

I have been reading your posts and am amazed at your knowledge of the Med. ports, trips, etc.

If fact, it was from you that I learned that most points of interest in Istanbul would be closed on Sun. and Mon. before we sail on Tues. night.

We are arriving in Istanbul on Sun., Oct. 22. Do you have any suggestions concerning what we could do during those two days?

I know we will be up early on Tues. morning to see as much as we can of the mosque, bazaars, etc. before we board the Brilliance in the evening.

I have been reading the posts about the ferry ride, so that is a possibility.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Drebo

• 3 weeks later...

I beg to differ. I do not claim to be an expert on Turkey. I am a member of virtualtourist.com and much of the advice I receive (and share) is simply from VT members who live in your beautiful country. It is the advice of your fellow countrymen that I quote. I have used VT tips for my past travels

and have found the information to be very reliable.

As for guides. We plan to use one company in Kusadasi and another in Istanbul. Both had received very positive reviews from other cruise critic members in the past. I certainly agree that any of these tours could be good or bad. I can only hope for the best return for my $$$.

I am very much looking forward to my visit to Turkey and only want to make certain that I have all the information before I get there.

Drebo.....Since Seker Bayrami begins on 10/22 it is my understanding that

the Grand Bazaar and some other retail establishments will be closed on Sunday-Tuesday. Other points of interest will be for the most part open as usual.

Kindly,

Marty

I beg to differ. I do not claim to be an expert on Turkey. I am a member of virtualtourist.com and much of the advice I receive (and share) is simply from VT members who live in your beautiful country. It is the advice of your fellow countrymen that I quote. I have used VT tips for my past travels

and have found the information to be very reliable.

As for guides. We plan to use one company in Kusadasi and another in Istanbul. Both had received very positive reviews from other cruise critic members in the past. I certainly agree that any of these tours could be good or bad. I can only hope for the best return for my $$$.

I am very much looking forward to my visit to Turkey and only want to make certain that I have all the information before I get there.

Drebo.....Since Seker Bayrami begins on 10/22 it is my understanding that

the Grand Bazaar and some other retail establishments will be closed on Sunday-Tuesday. Other points of interest will be for the most part open as usual.

Kindly,

Marty

Dear Marty

Due to holiday in Turkey 22/10 shops and museums including covered bazaar

is closed only in sunday.

Topkapı will be closed Tuesday.

St Sophia and Dolmabahce will be closed Monday.

Although I said the museums are closed sunday there is a big possiblity that

they mght open in afternoon only at sunday the 1 st of holiday.

regards

Nejat

Thank you,

Your reputation and knowledge of your country has been well documented on these boards. I'm still a little confused about Seker Bayrami. My understanding is that the holiday begins at sundown on 22/10. The Grand Bazaar, normally closed on Sunday, will be closed on this Sunday. When does arife take place? Would it be on Saturday? Will the Grand Bazaar (and other retail) be very crowded on that Saturday? Will it be closed on Monday (first day of Seker)? Tuesday?

I understand that many local residents use these days to take a short holiday during Seker Bayrami. Is it normally a crowded time in Istanbul or rather quiet? or is it rather quiet? Seem to get different opinions. Some have even said that many "poorer and less fortunate" residents converge on Istanbul and become a bit rowdy and drunk. Any suggestions or advice? Our dates cannot be changed.

Marty

Thank you,

Your reputation and knowledge of your country has been well documented on these boards. I'm still a little confused about Seker Bayrami. My understanding is that the holiday begins at sundown on 22/10. The Grand Bazaar, normally closed on Sunday, will be closed on this Sunday. When does arife take place? Would it be on Saturday? Will the Grand Bazaar (and other retail) be very crowded on that Saturday? Will it be closed on Monday (first day of Seker)? Tuesday?

I understand that many local residents use these days to take a short holiday during Seker Bayrami. Is it normally a crowded time in Istanbul or rather quiet? or is it rather quiet? Seem to get different opinions. Some have even said that many "poorer and less fortunate" residents converge on Istanbul and become a bit rowdy and drunk. Any suggestions or advice? Our dates cannot be changed.

Marty

Dear Marty

I have checked and Sunday is arefe the day before the relious holiday.

relious holiday is monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Sunday the 22 nd the museums are open.

all banks and covered bazzar(grand Bazaar) is closed.

Monday 23 rd

The covered Bazaar is closed.

Topkapı palace might be closed but only till noon will get the definate information in few days and post it here.

The 23 rd

Archeolgical Museum

Saint Sophia

Dolmabahce is closed as this is their regular closing dates.

re 24 oct tuesday

Topkapı is closed.

re crowd

Usually the big crowd moves out of city they go to the resorts etc.

istanbul has less population but as the rest of the people are all outside

not in wotk makes in crowded .

avoid the public transportation.

try to visit most of the sites early in the morning before it gets crowded.

regards

nejat

p.s. the things change up very rapidly too regarding to days of museums etc

I will post here when I get more clear knowledge.

Thanks....Wendy....I have used Tom from Turkey Planner and he is an excellent resource. We will be in Istanbul during an unusual time so I needed more than one opinion.

Thanks...Nejat....very helpful info. Please let me know if you find out anything else. We'll be arriving on Thursday so we can visit the Bazaar before the real crowds on Saturday. If arefe is on Sunday....before Seker...why does the Grand Bazaar not stay open to handle the high demands???? Sounds like Christmas eve in the USA.

Marty

Archived