Baltimore Carnival cruise port to Amtrak

htkodiak

We will be traveling by Amtrak back to Florida after our cruise on the Carnival Pride.What I'm wondering is the best way to travel to the train station with a stop to pick up some food and drink for the overnight ride back to Tampa.Any suggestions or info is appreciated .

2 hours ago, htkodiak said:

We will be traveling by Amtrak back to Florida after our cruise on the Carnival Pride.What I'm wondering is the best way to travel to the train station with a stop to pick up some food and drink for the overnight ride back to Tampa.Any suggestions or info is appreciated .

Assuming you are talking about Baltimore Penn Station (which is the one downtown) vs the Amtrak station at BWI (the nearby airport) the easiest way is by Uber or Lyft. Taxis in the city of Baltimore are sort of generally crummy. 

There is a Harris Teeter supermarket very close to the cruise terminal you could stop at on the way. I would just call two Ubers to make the trip. 

I've done a bunch of overnight trips on Amtrak-- unless you need something very specific or plan on consuming a lot of something the onboard selection of meals/drinks isn't bad enough or expensive enough that it would motivate me to go out of my way to bring my own supply. The hot food in the dining car is generally not bad for one night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Assuming you are talking about Baltimore Penn Station (which is the one downtown) vs the Amtrak station at BWI (the nearby airport) the easiest way is by Uber or Lyft. Taxis in the city of Baltimore are sort of generally crummy.

Both of the trains to Florida stop in Baltimore at Pennsylvania Station only, and do not stop at the BWI airport station. Pennsylvania Station is on the edge of downtown Baltimore; the "downtown" Baltimore station is known as Camden Station, but there are no Amtrak trains there, only commuter trains. Thus, the station needed is clear: Pennsylvania Station. The total distance to be traveled from the Maryland Cruise Terminal to Pennsylvania Station is about 3-1/2 miles.

The Harris Teeter supermarket is more convenient to the Maryland Cruise Terminal than the Safeway supermarket is to Pennsylvania Station. Thus, you would likely best be served by first going from the Maryland Cruise Terminal to the Harris Teeter supermarket, then making the trip to Pennsylvania Station, The Harris Teeter supermarket, at 1801 Whetstone Way, is about one-quarter mile distant from the Maryland Cruise Terminal, less than a 10-minute walk.

In getting from the Harris Teeter supermarket to Pennsylvania Station, public transportation is available and practicable, but not particularly convenient. If you have plenty of time, and not overly-burdened with baggage and groceries, then you could walk the distance in about 1 hour 30 minutes (a possibility given that the Silver Star departs at 1:55 p.m., and the Silver Meteor even later at 6:08 p.m.). The most convenient transportation, of course, would be by taxi or TNC vehicle.

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I've done a bunch of overnight trips on Amtrak-- unless you need something very specific or plan on consuming a lot of something the onboard selection of meals/drinks isn't bad enough or expensive enough that it would motivate me to go out of my way to bring my own supply. The hot food in the dining car is generally not bad for one night. 

I have universally relied on snacks when traveling long-distance by railroad, preferably purchased in advance at a supermarket, because the same items in the Amtrak café are overpriced. For example, a microwaved cheeseburger is $7.25, a hot dog $5.00, cheese and crackers $6.75, potato chips $2.00, cookie $3.25, soda $2.50. If traveling with sleeping accommodations then meals in the dining car are included (but no snacks outside of basic meal times in the dining car); otherwise you may be stuck with snacks from the café car substituting for dinner. In this case stocking up in advance at the supermarket is a very good plan.

• Like 1