I emailed the executive office with questions about auto-gratuity dispersement.

First questions and answer: 

"How are the gratuities we pay with auto-gratuities divided among the dining team if we do not eat in the main dining room at all ? Do 100% of the gratuities still go to the dining team?

If we do eat in the dining room each night, do 100% of the auto- gratuities go to the dining team that served us?

Do 100% of the cabin steward auto-gratuities go to the cabin steward for our cabin?" 

"Thank you for choosing Royal and sailing on the Wonder Of The Seas. Please be advised that gratuities are distributed to the crew, such as dining, bar, and culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, other hotel services teams, and others who work to enhance the overall cruise experience."

I was not satisfied, so I replied with :

"Do 100% of the gratuities go to the crew?

Do surveys effect gratuities received? "

"Thank you for the email reply. 100% of all gratuities are distributed to the crew. Surveys do not impact gratuities distribution."

I imagine it would be a bad idea to lie in writing signed by a member of the executive office. I choose to believe that I am being told the truth.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, budmeister said:

"How are the gratuities we pay with auto-gratuities divided among the dining team if we do not eat in the main dining room at all ? Do 100% of the gratuities still go to the dining team?

If we do eat in the dining room each night, do 100% of the auto- gratuities go to the dining team that served us?

Do 100% of the cabin steward auto-gratuities go to the cabin steward for our cabin?" 

So they really didn't answer any of these four questions.

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

So they really didn't answer any of these four questions.

Nope, which is why I replied  with 2 more very direct yes/no questions. 

15 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You were very easily satisfied. 

The second answer is what satisfies me. ""Thank you for the email reply. 100% of all gratuities are distributed to the crew. Surveys do not impact gratuities distribution.". 

I may prefer a better breakdown, but at least I know that the company does not take a cut and a bad or no survey does not effect distribution. 

Edited by budmeister
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

this is an often discussed question.   from previous threads  here is a breakdown from before the last increase.   it is probably still roughly the same

image.thumb.png.e1dfac39d1c3367d6a3bba4d3e8f6846.png

Someone posted the new breakdown on a different thread. For regular rooms just add 1.00 to stateroom attendant and dining room.

1 hour ago, budmeister said:

First questions and answer: 

"Thank you for choosing Royal and sailing on the Wonder Of The Seas. Please be advised that gratuities are distributed to the crew, such as dining, bar, and culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, other hotel services teams, and others who work to enhance the overall cruise experience."

I would like detail on these:
Culinary services staff

Other Hotel services teams

Others who work to enhance the overall cruise experience.

so even though they said 100% go to these groups, who knows who is actually IN these groups of “staff”,  “teams”,  “cruise experience enhancers”

staff could be anyone from bathroom cleaners to the Captain..they’re all staff.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Culinary services staff

so even though they said 100% go to these groups, who knows who is actually IN these groups of “staff”,  “teams”,  “cruise experience enhancers”

Me too, but I did not get that. There is a post on redit  and another cruise info site for crew wages. A lot of normally non- tipped positions are paid very little, so I am ok if some of my money goes there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Culinary services staff

try this link it may help (or generate more questions)

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/royal-caribbean-gratuities/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

this is an often discussed question.   from previous threads  here is a breakdown from before the last increase.   it is probably still roughly the same

I did not mean to start this kind of a breakdown thread. I meant more about dining positions, as I rarely eat  in the dining room. I am curious, but I do not need to know. I am glad that all tips go to crew and that they are not jipped because of bad or no surveys. I don't know how tips are distributed by position anywhere I tip at home either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, budmeister said:

I did not mean to start this kind of a breakdown thread. I meant more about dining positions, as I rarely eat  in the dining room. I am curious, but I do not need to know. I am glad that all tips go to crew and that they are not jipped because of bad or no surveys. I don't know how tips are distributed by position anywhere I tip at home either. 

But do you eat in the buffet? as those staff are included and many of the dining room staff work there in mornings and lunch

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Thanks ! I enjoyed these tidbits from your link: 

"However, it’s not exact because, for example, there will be several people serving you in the dining room such as your main waiter, the wine waiter and the dining room receptionist. There are also waiters in speciality dining venues and crew members who work in the buffet."

"The breakdown of gratuities is carefully worked out to be fair for all crew members. If you tip individuals instead, you may be doing a disservice to staff members who you haven’t met personally, such as the kitchen staff or cleaners."

I am fine with tipping kitchen staff and cleaners. 

6 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

But do you eat in the buffet? as those staff are included and many of the dining room staff work there in mornings and lunch

Yes. I do not remove tips even though I rarely eat in the dining room because I know that the same doing room staff work several positions on the ship. Also because I want some of my tips to go the  people that I do not see but work hard for my whole experience. 

24 minutes ago, budmeister said:

Yes. I do not remove tips even though I rarely eat in the dining room because I know that the same doing room staff work several positions on the ship. Also because I want some of my tips to go the  people that I do not see but work hard for my whole experience. 

Meant dining room staff, not doing room staff.

12 minutes ago, loman said:

Meh , i pay the gratuities in advance and let the company figure out who gets what .

I always pay in the auto-gratuities in advance too. I do not want anyone to lose out if I switched to only cash. My curiosity was perked by another thread where people  said the company takes a cut and surveys can lower an employees tipped received. I prefer fact to guesses, so I asked.

Edited by budmeister
  • Like 2

The breakdown for attendants and dinning are close to the old suggested amounts that used to be used with envelopes back around up tp 2010.  All they have done is add more people to the pot.  Adjusting for inflation, the attendants and dinning staff are far behind what they used to get.

• Like 2

Even though you may never go to the Dining Room the entire cruise your Tip still goes to the  the wait staff that was assigned to your table.

The reason they still get your tips because think of it this way. What would happen if during the entire cruise the waitstaff was assigned tables in the Dining Room that no one ever ate in the Dining Room the entire cruise?

Would that mean that wait staff crew wouldn't get paid for the entire week just because no one ever showed up at their tables?

That wouldn't be far to them no pay for the week. That is why they still get your tips whether you show up or not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Yes, was just few days ago this topic was discussed on 2 Threads

39 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

The breakdown for attendants and dinning are close to the old suggested amounts that used to be used with envelopes back around up tp 2010.  All they have done is add more people to the pot.  Adjusting for inflation, the attendants and dinning staff are far behind what they used to get.

Though compared to years ago Wait Staff/Cabin Attendants now have 3 times as many Passengers AND ton less work Serving/Caring for them. It was 2 Tables per Waiter, 4 Tables for the Asst Waiter with a 5 Course Meal that took 2hrs. We always had same table for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner and our Wait Staff served us all 3. Now it's just for Dinner and we're out in 30-40min most nites, 25min when I'm SOLO. Same with Room Attendants, they went from 8 Cabins my first Cruises cleaning my room 8-10 times a day and having to make new beds every nite, now 20-24 Cabins once a day spending at most 10 min a day in my Cabin. Rates back then on my first Royal Cruise $1.25 per person per day for Waiter and Room Attendant and .50 for Asst Waiter. They work hard now? Yes! But they use to have to work even harder

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Even though you may never go to the Dining Room the entire cruise your Tip still goes to the  the wait staff that was assigned to your table.

The reason they still get your tips because think of it this way. What would happen if during the entire cruise the waitstaff was assigned tables in the Dining Room that no one ever ate in the Dining Room the entire cruise?

Would that mean that wait staff crew wouldn't get paid for the entire week just because no one ever showed up at their tables?

That wouldn't be far to them no pay for the week. That is why they still get your tips whether you show up or not.

Yes, Many Cruises I had Main Dining, never went and Wait Staff still got my Auto Tips

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woody14 said:

The link is total BS - nothing is true..... e.g you never need to explain anything if you remove the gratuities or the breakdown is not true either as there are many versions of that slip.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2