cooking classes

flare3192

We've taken a dozen or so of the Culinary Kitchen classes and we enjoyed them all.  If you read the descriptions, that'll let you find the ones that match your tastes.  Frequently, our choice has been determined by what was offered on the days we didn't have other plans (excursions, mostly).  They are offered from 10-12 and 4-6, but not every day and sometimes only morning or afternoon and not both.

When we do the mornings classes, they usually suffice for lunch since you'll prepare modest-sized portions for multiple courses.  Plus paired wine.

We usually follow the afternoon courses with a light and/or late dinner. 

Let me add to bitob's advice:

If you don't see the Culinary Kitchen classes posted when excursions open for booking, keep checking.  And checking.  I'd come to the conclusion that for some reason (port-intensive, lots of families, etc.) that our Alaskan cruise on Explorer next summer just wasn't offering any classes.  That would have been a first for us on many Explorer and Splendor cruises.  Nope.  Sometime in the last week or so since I was looking at that reservation, classes were added.  And booked.

I just booked the Shorex on our 12/7/24 cruise on splendor but there are no cooking classes showing yet.  It is 15-day cruise with 5 seadays so I would expect some classes but nothing showing as of today.

Fwiw, we booked our excursions this last June for a cruise next June -- I'll never forget the experience as I had to run home from a bar in the pouring rain without an umbrella before 8PM ET as I almost forgot that was our window!  Made it home just in time to find the dreaded "system down for maintenance" message!  I checked back in a few hours and it was back up and running, but no options to reserve the cooking classes at that time.

I as well thought perhaps we would not have cooking classes on our cruise as it is port intensive with only 1 sea day out of 13. I have been periodically checking the booking for various reasons since June and did notice that last week they appear to have added the links to the cooking classes.  It appears to be only random days that they are offered, but they are offering at least 8 different classes (2x a day at 10AM and 4PM). I assumed the one sea day we have would already be sold out, but was able to get us 2 spots in the 4PM class!

I have noticed this week that all the 10AM classes are now sold out (well, at least not showing up anymore as options with no ability to wait list) so I'm guessing the morning classes are more desirable than the afternoon offerings (because the timing makes attending dinner unlikely I am guessing).  We decided if we like the food then we'll just order snacks from room service later in the evening, but if we don't we'll just go the CR for dinner if we get hungry. 

20 minutes ago, Navis said:

Fwiw, we booked our excursions this last June for a cruise next June -- I'll never forget the experience as I had to run home from a bar in the pouring rain without an umbrella before 8PM ET as I almost forgot that was our window!  Made it home just in time to find the dreaded "system down for maintenance" message!  I checked back in a few hours and it was back up and running, but no options to reserve the cooking classes at that time.

I as well thought perhaps we would not have cooking classes on our cruise as it is port intensive with only 1 sea day out of 13. I have been periodically checking the booking for various reasons since June and did notice that last week they appear to have added the links to the cooking classes.  It appears to be only random days that they are offered, but they are offering at least 8 different classes (2x a day at 10AM and 4PM). I assumed the one sea day we have would already be sold out, but was able to get us 2 spots in the 4PM class!

I have noticed this week that all the 10AM classes are now sold out (well, at least not showing up anymore as options with no ability to wait list) so I'm guessing the morning classes are more desirable than the afternoon offerings (because the timing makes attending dinner unlikely I am guessing).  We decided if we like the food then we'll just order snacks from room service later in the evening, but if we don't we'll just go the CR for dinner if we get hungry. 

Generally morning is preferred.  On sea days I've seen both times offered on port days usually only have seen the 4pm so maybe my memory is bad or they changed that.   I guess the 4 pm is good if you eat late but we are usually stuffed after the cooking class so we prefer the 10 am slot.

Edited by Lonedaddy

9 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Generally morning is preferred.  On sea days I've seen both times offered on port days usually only have seen the 4pm so maybe my memory is bad or they changed that.   I guess the 4 pm is good if you eat late but we are usually stuffed after the cooking class so we prefer the 10 am slot.

Oh, good point!  I thought I saw them offered both times, but perhaps I am misremembering and it was only offered at 10AM & 4PM on the sea day and just at 4PM on the rest!  I really wanted to try the French cooking class, but unfortunately it conflicts we an excursion we already signed up with so we went with a class that I am sure will be fun and we'll learn a lot, but I'm not jazzed about the cuisine. We shall see.

I do wish they sent out emails when the classes become available (like they do for so many other things). Maybe consolidate the 100 Black Friday Sale emails into one and free up that time to draft and send a CAK reservations are now open email. Haha

• Haha 2