Live from Norwegian Breakaway (Western Caribbean) - December 17-24, 2023

HoosierShipmate

A quick review of disembarkation now that I’m not the driver. We stopped for gas, Angie is behind the wheel and I can type. After Christmas I’m sure I’ll put some additional general thoughts together here but that will give me some time to review in my mind any thoughts or comparisons with prior cruises.

I put a stopwatch on disembarking today:

At 7:24am we walked out of the kids’ cabin on deck 5 where we had put our luggage all together during breakfast.

By 7:47am we had scanned our keycards for the final time. The final scan was in The Manhattan Room which I don’t remember from the past.

At 8:14am we cleared US Customs and were outside.

At 8:21am we were in car.

Before 9:00am I’m driving across the causeway and clear of NOLA headed north.

It felt longer than usual, but when I look back it wasn’t as long as it seemed. I do think we have been much faster in the past but normally we grab something in the buffet and sit in the hallway (probably against their wishes) waiting for the CD to tell us they’re ready. Then I shove little old ladies out of my way and rush to be up front ahead of everyone else carrying their own stuff.  Today we weren’t as worried about getting on the road bc our travel needs are different.  

Thanks for following along this week. I read trip reports all the time for entertainment and planning and knew it would be work but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would!  

Everyone enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate and look for the recap later in the week!

J

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, HoosierShipmate said:

Everyone enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate and look for the recap later in the week!

J

Merry Christmas, and drive carefully on the way to Nashville. We're about 20 miles east of Memphis, so wave as you cross the AL/TN border. You have provided a bunch of people with invaluable information on the ship and itinerary!

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 10:56 AM, HoosierShipmate said:

Savor for breakfast this morning - and @RocketMan275 I ordered my eggs specifically for your enjoy  Random food shots from the table with my main entree first:

export_0.jpeg.8929ffccec301f0c1ad9f77bc522c817.jpeg

look at those yolks @RocketMan275!

Ok, Rocketman might be here for the eggs, but I'm here for that bacon. It looks PERFECT!!! Not quite limp, but far away from crispy. I'm loving the one potato too. That's all I need to know I still hate them. 😂

• Like 3

I appreciate this Live so much! I am sailing on the Breakaway next December and it will be my first sailing on NCL. I appreciate you  @HoosierShipmate so much for taking the time to take all the photos, taking your time to answer others questions and giving your time to do this. This helped me cement in that I will enjoy my first cruise on NCL and the Breakaway!  

I am a balcony junkie. I will be spending probably over 50% of my time there so for me a balcony is a must. And I splurged on the Club Balcony Suite with a larger balcony since I know how much time I'll be spending there.  Anyone who looks down on me on my balcony will get bored quickly so I'm not worried about that lol

Hope you got home safe! 

Oh and I prefer sunny side up 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:17 PM, LincolnLog said:

We were on this cruise in March. Same ship, same itinerary, same cabin class. But we definitely did not get any free bags of laundry! I’m thinking it might be because of your latitudes level? I don’t think it’s because of your cabin category. 

We've sailed Breakaway and other NCL ships in Club Balcony.  Club Balcony includes one bag of laundry at no charge, not related to tier.  Thanks,  Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:54 AM, HoosierShipmate said:

In the time since the first pic this morning as I fought the upload of Freestyle Daily, things changed drastically- a better good morning from Roatan pic!

export_0.thumb.jpeg.033ff975df3b5ecefbf35ec61a8244cd.jpeg

Great posts!

I’ll be on the Breakaway for the first time in early January. I’ll be with 3 generations of family ranging from 20-81. How many ports do you tender? My mom will use a wheelchair on the cruise. She can walk but very slowly with a cane. 

It’s been so long since I’ve cruised in January so are the ports and ship warm for shorts & t-shirts? Thanks

On 12/26/2023 at 11:32 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Ok, Rocketman might be here for the eggs, but I'm here for that bacon. It looks PERFECT!!! Not quite limp, but far away from crispy. I'm loving the one potato too. That's all I need to know I still hate them. 😂

I actually found the bacon on the buffet the day we had that to be amazing - I made a bacon sandwich that probably wasn’t heart heathy!

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, chewsifer1220 said:

I appreciate this Live so much! I am sailing on the Breakaway next December and it will be my first sailing on NCL. I appreciate you  @HoosierShipmate so much for taking the time to take all the photos, taking your time to answer others questions and giving your time to do this. This helped me cement in that I will enjoy my first cruise on NCL and the Breakaway!  

I am a balcony junkie. I will be spending probably over 50% of my time there so for me a balcony is a must. And I splurged on the Club Balcony Suite with a larger balcony since I know how much time I'll be spending there.  Anyone who looks down on me on my balcony will get bored quickly so I'm not worried about that lol

Hope you got home safe! 

Oh and I prefer sunny side up 🤪

Thank you for the kind words - and I may now be a balcony junkie too. Was looking at future cruises and spent more time on balcony prices than usual!

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, HoosierShipmate said:

Parking in the whale lot was simple. No line, and @PaperSniper4 the charge was $150 for the week.  Drive right in and parked, about two minute walk to luggage dropoff and then went straight to Cafe Du Monde Riverwalk. 

IMG_9805.jpeg

Hearing a lot of chatter about how bad traffic is around the port.  Also that luggage drop-off is in the opposite direction of the ship.  Can you advise?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OurAnniversary25 said:

Hearing a lot of chatter about how bad traffic is around the port.  Also that luggage drop-off is in the opposite direction of the ship.  Can you advise?

Luggae Drop off is next to the Whale lot. You can park then walk your luggage over, If drop off luggage first then park it can be a pain becasue there is no through road, you need to turn around and come back out the way you came in. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, HoosierShipmate said:

Hey @KtayRN per your request 🙂. Full menu and they do have a small selection of pastries in the case.  Lines have been pretty reasonable even when I go early morning.  If you don’t have Starbucks as part of your dining/drink package you can also use Starbucks app or gift cards. That’s a hot topic on the boards and I personally witnessed it happening 🙂

Guy in front of me ordered a medicine ball off the ‘secret menu’ and barista didn’t flinch.  My extra espresso shots are always covered in the drink package no additional charges.

IMG_0360.thumb.jpeg.3b02eadc7bdc718c7d9e78fda514cc75.jpeg

IMG_0363.thumb.jpeg.e4b99c80e17ab20cf6bc1465f20be451.jpeg

IMG_0361.thumb.jpeg.37620adf40a790ba228426daf928e0d9.jpeg

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.95858959591fd897d0239dc4ea36aeef.jpeg

Wait...Starbucks was included in your drink package? I've sailed NCL several times and never was able to use Starbucks with my drink package...instead I used my app and payment I already have on there. Hmmm. Must really find out about this so I am prepared in February.

20 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Wait...Starbucks was included in your drink package? I've sailed NCL several times and never was able to use Starbucks with my drink package...instead I used my app and payment I already have on there. Hmmm. Must really find out about this so I am prepared in February.

you can upgrade your free at see package which would then include starbucks. not included with the original free at see when booking. 

On some other sailings we have gone to the cabin & dropped off the CPAP & carry on, then gone right back out for lunch & to wait for cabins ready announcement. Not elderly, just in the 70's 🙂 Not handicapped but one has had knee surgery & the other sometimes needs a cane, not eligible for any perks. Can I do something similar on this cruise?

DH has lots of meds, & necessary items in carry on that he won't surrender to anyone. 🙂

Edited by eltigre

3 hours ago, OurAnniversary25 said:

This was the last Whale Lot Parking for NCL. Below is direct from the Port of New Orleans.

• PLEASE NOTE, THE HILTON “WHALE LOT” IS NO LONGER BEING UTILIZED BY THE PORT FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS.
    • Parking is available at the 100 Poydras Garage, located at 100 Poydras St. New Orleans, LA 70130. The 100 Poydras Garage opens at 9:00am (CST) and has over 500 covered and secured parking spaces.
    • Parking rates: $25 per day without reservations and $25 per day plus $1/per day fee for reservations.
    • Norwegian Cruise Line parking reservations can be made here. 
    • Please come directly to the 100 Poydras Garage, as a shuttle will be available to take all cruise passengers and their luggage to the Julia St. Cruise Terminal.
    • Please have your boarding information available. You must show it to the parking attendant to enter the facility. 
    • Maximum height is 6' 4" and maximum 22 feet in length. Garage is secured, lighted and patrolled.
    •  
  •  

3 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Luggae Drop off is next to the Whale lot. You can park then walk your luggage over, If drop off luggage first then park it can be a pain becasue there is no through road, you need to turn around and come back out the way you came in. 

• PLEASE NOTE, THE HILTON “WHALE LOT” IS NO LONGER BEING UTILIZED BY THE PORT FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS.
    • Parking is available at the 100 Poydras Garage, located at 100 Poydras St. New Orleans, LA 70130. The 100 Poydras Garage opens at 9:00am (CST) and has over 500 covered and secured parking spaces.
    • Parking rates: $25 per day without reservations and $25 per day plus $1/per day fee for reservations.
    • Please come directly to the 100 Poydras Garage, as a shuttle will be available to take all cruise passengers and their luggage to the Julia St. Cruise Terminal.
    • Please have your boarding information available. You must show it to the parking attendant to enter the facility. 
    • Maximum height is 6' 4" and maximum 22 feet in length. Garage is secured, lighted and patrolled.

26 minutes ago, ltmguy said:

Thank you so much.  We will actually be walking over from the Omni Riverfront Hotel, but getting conflicting information as to exactly where the porters are.

58 minutes ago, OurAnniversary25 said:

Thank you so much.  We will actually be walking over from the Omni Riverfront Hotel, but getting conflicting information as to exactly where the porters are.

Exit the Omni.  Turn right on Convention Center Blvd.  Turn left on Julia Street.  Walk straight ahead till you see the terminal and the porters should be out front.  About two tenths of a mile.  

Or, when you exit the Omni, the Whale Parking lot will be to your front.  Walk across the lot and the porters will be there.  

google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.9455194,-90.06481/29.9437166,-90.062279/@29.9440847,-90.0649916,364m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2?entry=ttu

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ltmguy said:

This was the last Whale Lot Parking for NCL. Below is direct from the Port of New Orleans.

•  
  •  

Is this official? Anyone have a source for this? Sounds odd that that large "Whale" parking lot would suddenly be closed....and $25 per day is nuts; higher than the last time we parked near the Los Angeles cruise terminal.

Doug

27 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Is this official? Anyone have a source for this? Sounds odd that that large "Whale" parking lot would suddenly be closed....and $25 per day is nuts; higher than the last time we parked near the Los Angeles cruise terminal.

Doug

100 Poydras Garage is much more secure than the Whale Lot.  Many reports of vehicles broken into and items stolen.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

Yes, this is official. I have exchanged a couple emails this week with Ann Hanks (POC listed on the website). Straight from the PORTNOLA website: https://portnola.com/cruise/parking-directions

• Like 1