Thoughts on Princess new Future cruise credits packages

NthernLgts

We are live on the Sky right now, with a couple we met on our last cruise to Cabo.  The four of us are planning a Mediterranean cruise on the Sun next year.  Typically do not book direct with Princess, but their new future cruise credit program has us interested. Basically, for $5099 you get $4500 in Princess Cruise Credits, $200 in shipboard credit, a 2 night one city hotel stay, 7 night premium hotel stay certificate, plus $600 in hotel credits.  As some of you are no doubt already familiar with this package…. what are your thoughts?  Our intent would be to use it next year for the Barcelona to Rome cruise.  Overall cruise rates are basically within a few dollars to what our TA quoted. Thanks in advance.

I know someone "that bought into the package" and she says trying to use it has been an absolute nightmare. Hotel rooms are not just any hotel you wish to book but a selective group of hotels and the hotels rooms are not free but just a discounted room. She said she would NEVER do it again. I am not speaking from my personal experience, only what she has related to me.

I got this offered by phone. I considered it and rejected it, feeling that I wouldn't get the full value out of the hotel package parts of the deal. Looking at at the numbers...

You pay $5099 and the $4500 cruise credits and $200 shipboard credit. These are the only "hard" (imo) value components that you'll very likely get back at a 1:1 value.

That means you're paying $399 for the rest and I felt that these "soft" value parts of the deal might not yield a worthwhile payout. I suspect that the 7 night premium hotel stay certificate comes with a whole bunch of strings. The $600 in hotel credits reminded of my "free" $200 hotel credit that I get with my Amex Platinum, but which are only applicable at super high priced hotels that already have that amount baked into their base price and are effectively useless because I'd never book there.

Anyway, I looked and said no. Your mileage may vary.

Walkingsoon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my biggest peeves with these packages is that they are completely non-refundable after the grace period.  Even if you were to cancel your cruise before final payment you're money is stuck as an FCC with a firm expiration date.  There's no such thing as a cold hard refund.

Then there's the problem of using the hotel portion, which seems a lot like timeshare.  Also, remember Princess isn't the one taking your money it's a 3rd party.  You're not dealing directly with Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jaymuxman said:

I know someone "that bought into the package" and she says trying to use it has been an absolute nightmare. Hotel rooms are not just any hotel you wish to book but a selective group of hotels and the hotels rooms are not free but just a discounted room. She said she would NEVER do it again. I am not speaking from my personal experience, only what she has related to me.

What we are seeing are three separate hotel credits. One is a 2 night “city stay” certificate. The other is a 7 night “premium stay” certificate. Then there is the $600 Hotel credit (this part I AM discounting completely). I will be honest and say that I am considering this knowing that the $600 hotel credit is probably a minimal benefit if any. I’m going to talk to them again tomorrow, We may wind up being a test case. The one thing and all of this that has been a bit surprising is that booking direct with Princess, at least on this cruise, has been extremely competitive with TA pricing.