Icy Strait Point - considering Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search

surgie

We are considering the Spasski River Valley, Wildlife & Bear Search in Icy Strait Point for the family members that are 8 and older on July 15.  It is 2.5 hours. I only see it offered through the cruise line, though I'd like to find options elsewhere. Anyone with knowledge of this excursion? 

And suggestions for something for the 5 and 7 year olds to do with Nana while the others do the bear search?

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Thank you. That looks good and in the meantime I've communicated with John and Marilyn from Wilderness Islands Tours which would be a good option since there is not an age restriction and all 11 of us can go together in their 13-passenger van. https://www.wildernessislandtoursak.com

7 hours ago, sanmardar said:

Did you like it?  We are signed up for next August. 

Bears will be far more active in August.

I can say he is a great guy and he was bound and determined to find me bears and we found 3 in mid-May. I was sort of skeptical of seeing bears in May when I planned it. I did whale watching in the morning and did this in the afternoon.

It would have been more fun when bears are out more but I would recommend the tour.

He made sure I was safe at all times and he is a very experienced park ranger. You will be in good hands. Super nice guy.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Bears will be far more active in August.

We had a similar experience in May.  We did the bear search tour through the ship last May and while we did see two bears, they said that they were just coming out of hibernation and the salmon had not yet begun to run in that area.  

We also had a great time!  But next time we do Alaska, we're going to do so later in the season. 

• Like 1