Quito: Top Destination for 2024?

TLCOhio

From Condé Nast Traveler magazine last month, they had this headline: “24 Best Places to Go in 2024” with these highlights for Quito, Ecuador by writer Adam Graham:Quito is finally getting its due. The city’s mile-high skyline got a lot higher thanks to the work of architects like Bjarke Ingels Group, whose 32-story IQON tower (completed in 2022) is now the city’s tallest. It's just one of several projects to come from Ecuadorian development firm Uribe Schwarzkopf, in its ongoing effort to mature the ancient Andean city into an unlikely new hub of contemporary architecture. That’s no small feat considering that Quito stands atop both the ruins of a pre-Columbian settlement and an earthquake-prone high plateau and is anchored by an untouchable colonial center with UNESCO status. But a new generation of Ecuadorian and international creatives are pushing the city toward the future—and not just for the sake of visitors.  Quito’s dining scene is finally catching up to culinary neighbor Lima.”

Sound exciting and interesting?  Maybe a good reason to head back to South America?

Full story at:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/best-places-to-go-in-2024#intcid=_conde-nast-traveler-verso-hp-trending_80991bd1-1d14-4b9f-965a-7f9ff1e971d6_popular4-1

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 247,027 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

We will be there in May for a few days before a Galapagos cruise and can't wait!

We've booked a private, all day, birding excursion to the Mindo cloud forest, a Quito food tour, a Quito street art tour, and plan to take the TeleferiQo cable car up the side of the Pichincha Volcano to the lookout at the top.

We spent 50 days in Ecuador in Oct-Nov 2021. Then, we went to Machu Picchu and Cusco for 10 days. It was night and day in regards to the way we were treated. Ecuadorians were so happy we were visiting their country. Peruvians, not so much as they were rude, just thinking of making $$ out of you. It was such a drastic difference after 50 days in Ecuador. I would go back to Ecuador any day, Peru, we will never go back…

Edited by cashmeremypuppydog

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a recommended day tour from Quito to Pailon Del Diablo.   Many of them want a minimum of 2 people and I'm just one person.   

I wanted a "recommended" tour to ensure that I'd get there and back in one piece, but my agent claimed that there is no day tour there.  I think that she really meant that Hurtigruten didn't offer one and she didn't want to look at other operators in the area.