Gift Basket for New to Cruising family member

SRQMom

I'm wanting to do a Christmas gift basket for a family member who is going on a cruise in Feb but has never cruised before and am stumped on ideas.  So far I've got magnetic hooks (strong ones for the walls and clip type for daily agenda's etc), waterproof phone case (Belize), retractable lanyards, and a shoe holder for the door (I love this as an organizer for the boat).  Other than that, I'm stuck.  Any other fun suggestions??  Thanks!!

• Like 1

You probably won't like my answer...but ya know, I'll give it anyway.

Cash! My family still wants to give gifts. I don't want gifts. I would prefer cash or gift cards. Cash helps me plan experiences. Memories are important to me. Extra stuff isn't. I still appreciate the fact they think of me and thankfully they ask what I want. I tell them cash. They say no. So, I rack my brain coming up with something that might be useful. My husband gave my family my list this year as I have no clue what I want or need. 

Here's why. I know what I want. And frankly, nothing you mentioned in your post is of any interest to me. I'd actually toss it or give it away. Now, I'm not the person you're gifting the basket to, so take my words for what they're worth. Nothing at all. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You probably won't like my answer...but ya know, I'll give it anyway.

Cash! My family still wants to give gifts. I don't want gifts. I would prefer cash or gift cards. Cash helps me plan experiences. Memories are important to me. Extra stuff isn't. I still appreciate the fact they think of me and thankfully they ask what I want. I tell them cash. They say no. So, I rack my brain coming up with something that might be useful. My husband gave my family my list this year as I have no clue what I want or need. 

Here's why. I know what I want. And frankly, nothing you mentioned in your post is of any interest to me. I'd actually toss it or give it away. Now, I'm not the person you're gifting the basket to, so take my words for what they're worth. Nothing at all. 

We already got them OBC for excursions, etc. but wanted something fun to "unwrap" on Christmas morning.  Maybe some chuckles (I'm adding an Airtag "finder" for the one who looses stuff).  It's Christmas and an envelope with "here's your onboard credit" or "cash" seems very boring.  

• Like 5

I’m doing something similar for a family member and am including luggage tag holders for boarding the cruise ship, passport holder (rfid blocker one) and may include some towel clips (I have so many). They requested water shoes that they need for an excursion 

Luggage tags, non-surge protector power strip, seasick wristlets, Tide stain stick, bug spray, sunscreen, sticky notes and pen for notes to steward, highlighter for Dailies, if it's a female maybe a wallet on sting - great for off board activities. Oh and ear plugs. I've only ever needed once but they were a life (sleep) saver!

24 minutes ago, TenForward said:

Luggage tags, non-surge protector power strip, seasick wristlets, Tide stain stick, bug spray, sunscreen, sticky notes and pen for notes to steward, highlighter for Dailies, if it's a female maybe a wallet on sting - great for off board activities. Oh and ear plugs. I've only ever needed once but they were a life (sleep) saver!

Great list!

Maybe a small notebook -- I write down what we've done each day, even what we had for dinner.

Sunscreen -- I get something stronger than what I use at home. (which is about nothing...)

Luggage locks.

Chapstick

1 hour ago, tartist said:

I’m doing something similar for a family member and am including luggage tag holders for boarding the cruise ship, passport holder (rfid blocker one) and may include some towel clips (I have so many). They requested water shoes that they need for an excursion 

Thanks.  Water shoes for an excursion is perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TenForward said:

Great ideas.  Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, vswan said:

Not sure if they will be going in the ocean, but reef safe suncreen is difficult to find where I live. Also found I needed chap stick and body lotion.

chapstick! Every time I have forgotten it I spend so much time trying to find it in port. 

Love all these ideas… I will add a few of my favorites that I don’t think have been mentioned:

Individually wrapped wet wipes

Door decoration that magnetically sticks to the door. 🙂

This organizer for chargers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPJPIFO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Very small roll of painters tape for things that go bang in the night -- like a cabinet or closet door that bangs open and shut or hangers in the closet that clang together in rough seas.  I've only used it a couple of times but was SO glad to have it. 

Small kit of OTC meds like asprin, rolaids, cold meds, pepto bismol tablets, Bonine/Dramamine, tweezer and bandaids, small travel packs of tissues and wipes, battery operated "click on" light for the bathroom at night. 

Plastic tray from Ikea or dollar store for transporting food/beverages from the buffet (other passengers will keep asking you where you got it).  Insulated coffee/beverage cup with a top for walking around the ship.

Since they have never cruised, they don't know how they like to cruise or what they would actually use/need/want. If you want something for them to open, luggage tag holders, a couple of magnetic hooks, a stretchy towel holder (easier to pack than the huge plastic clips!) would be enough IMO. Then you could just point them here to CC and let them figure out the rest. We've never wanted or needed an over the door organizer thing or a lanyard. Let them get excited about the trip and find the "sweet spot" on their own. That's part of the fun of cruising.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SRQMom said:

I'm wanting to do a Christmas gift basket for a family member who is going on a cruise in Feb but has never cruised before and am stumped on ideas.  So far I've got magnetic hooks (strong ones for the walls and clip type for daily agenda's etc), waterproof phone case (Belize), retractable lanyards, and a shoe holder for the door (I love this as an organizer for the boat).  Other than that, I'm stuck.  Any other fun suggestions??  Thanks!!

I was looking to do something similar for my sister who I am taking on her first cruise in September.  She was watching me pack before I left for Rome last month and if I had a nickle for every time she said "what is that?", "what do you need that for?", "you pack all of that?" etc., I'd be a wealthy woman.  In the end I decided I would buy her some OBC and every time she uses/borrows something I pack it's going to be her Christmas gift NEXT year.  Out of the goodness of my heart I will just give her a lanyard and save us all alot of stress because she is the most "key" losing type person I have ever seen.  Drives me insane!  

It's a very nice gesture and I hope you come up with something useful.

10 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Very small roll of painters tape for things that go bang in the night -- like a cabinet or closet door that bangs open and shut or hangers in the closet that clang together in rough seas.  I've only used it a couple of times but was SO glad to have it. 

Those clanging hangers!!  Had not experienced the clang until our last cruise.  In the middle of the night I’m combing through the closet in the dark trying to figure out how to make them stop!!  Thanks for the idea.

We LOVE our lanyards.. i know some people hate them, but from our Disney days we always had lanyards with pins to trade on them.  So lanyards were a no brainer for us.. If they are going to be in a different room, then the non surge power things are awesome, and since they arent crazy priced, I'd get both US and EU style.   There are certain things we bought and took and wont again, and dont think there was really anything that we wished we had taken, which was nice.  

I love having a little alarm clock.  We use this one.  I like that it isn't smart like the phones and won't change the time on us in the middle of the night!

Amazon.com: Digital Travel Alarm Clock - No Bells, No Whistles, Simple Basic Operation, Loud Alarm, Snooze, Small and Light, ON/Off Switch, 2 AAA Battery Powered, Black : Home & Kitchen

I also would suggest a non-surge protector plug too.  There are never enough outlets on the ship.  We have this one:

Amazon.com: Multi Plug Outlet, Outlet expanders, POWSAV USB Wall Charger with 3 USB Ports(Smart 3.0A Total) and 3-Outlet Extender with 3 Way Splitter, No Surge Protector for Cruise Ship, Home, Office, ETL Listed : Tools & Home Improvement