Storing medication that needs refrigeration

17pandd

On 3/20/2024 at 7:25 AM, duquephart said:

How does one keep injecter type medications cold enough on the way? From our door to the room refrigerator (assuming they have one) in the pre-extension hotel is going to be probably sixteen hours + or -.

My endocrinologist told me not to worry about it, that not being refrigerated for the flight would be okay and not damage the injectable drug.

So if someone was travelling with injectables for several weeks that needed to be refrigerated and it was specified that they couldn't be put back in the refrigerator after being at room temperature, what would one use?

9 hours ago, millybess said:

Now I see @Haqdeluxe previous post.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, millybess said:

So if someone was travelling with injectables for several weeks that needed to be refrigerated and it was specified that they couldn't be put back in the refrigerator after being at room temperature, what would one use?

There are many options for storing injectables for travel that are TSA approved.  The best options are all available on Amazon.  READ THE REVIEWS on all the products.

There are some that require the refreezing of an ice pack in the tube and there are even some that are USB charged like little coolers.

I personally have a "Breezy Pack" and it has worked well for me.  I store my injectables outside the fridge for up to 2 months but don't need that long typically on a trip.  The one thing that I am concerned with is that I will never leave my meds in a carryon case and leave that with the luggage going to the cruise ship.  You don't know if that luggage is going to be sitting in a hot truck or out in the sunshine beside the ship and for how long.  I put my "Breezy Pack" in my shoulder bag and keep that with me until I am on the ship.  I can control where and how that bag is exposed to the sun.

One thing that I find interesting is that everyone has different ideas and information on how long a certain medication can be kept at room temperature.  Many statements on here contradict what my Pharmacist has told me and what is on the Pharmaceutical manufacturer's website.

Typically for more common meds like insulin (Tresiba), and Ozempic, they can be out of refrigeration for  almost two months.

From the Tresiba site:

How should Tresiba® FlexTouch® and 10-mL vial be stored? 

Not in use (unopened)

If unopened, Tresiba® should be stored in a refrigerator (36°F to 46°F [2°C to 8°C]) until expiration date. It can also be stored at up to 86°F for 56 days.1

In use (opened)

After first use, Tresiba® can be stored at room temperature (up to 86°F [30°C]) or in the refrigerator (36°F to 46°F [2°C to 8°C]) without the needle attached for a maximum of 8 weeks (56 days).1

From the Ozempic site:

image.png.b13aa9b043d2b8eeab03e10cb0a6dd42.png

• Thanks 1

I take Trulicity for my type 2 diabetes. My pens can stay in the the fridge (36-46°F) until the expiry date. They can stay at room temperature (59-86°F) for up to 14 days. This 14 days is cumulative. Meaning I could fly with them at 59-86°F (the cooler the better) for say 48 hrs, put them back in the fridge, and still have 12 days at room temperature left to use.

My Lantus insulin has a 28 day window... bonus! 😉

I went to my current travel solution after we retired and we started frequently traveling on trips longer than 14 days and after I ran into a hotel room with a cooler where one expects a fridge.