Storing medication that needs refrigeration

17pandd

I saw this topic discussed before our recent Viking cruise but I can't find the topic again (and I have searched).  My husband has a medication that he injects every three weeks that needs a consistent cool temperature so he called Viking Customer Service with a number someone nicely suggested on this forum.  He was assured that it would be no problem, merely take the medication down to medical after we boarded and they would store the medication until he needed to use it.  If this is your situation, this is false.  Hubby took the medication down and they refused to take it.  He explained that he had called and been assured this would be handled with no problem.  They simply said no, we don't do it, good-bye.  So we stored it in the small cooler in our room where it was, of course, ruined.  $6000 worth of medicine.  Medication had the prescription attached, we did everything we could to make sure medication was safe, carried it in a medical carrier bag with ice, knowing it would be accepted since Viking reps told us it would.

I know everyone can jump in about liability, customer service has various answers for various people, yadda yadda but the facts are this is what happened and I don't want others to think their medications will be stored safely when they will not be. 

15 hours ago, 17pandd said:

I saw this topic discussed before our recent Viking cruise but I can't find the topic again (and I have searched).  My husband has a medication that he injects every three weeks that needs a consistent cool temperature so he called Viking Customer Service with a number someone nicely suggested on this forum.  He was assured that it would be no problem, merely take the medication down to medical after we boarded and they would store the medication until he needed to use it.  If this is your situation, this is false.  Hubby took the medication down and they refused to take it.  He explained that he had called and been assured this would be handled with no problem.  They simply said no, we don't do it, good-bye.  So we stored it in the small cooler in our room where it was, of course, ruined.  $6000 worth of medicine.  Medication had the prescription attached, we did everything we could to make sure medication was safe, carried it in a medical carrier bag with ice, knowing it would be accepted since Viking reps told us it would.

I know everyone can jump in about liability, customer service has various answers for various people, yadda yadda but the facts are this is what happened and I don't want others to think their medications will be stored safely when they will not be. 

Get it in writing. I was questioned about information I was given previous to my cruise (on a different topic). Once on ship I was told Viking couldn’t assist me. I told them I had it in writing that I had been told they could. Passenger service rep said she needed to see it. Luckily I’d made a copy and brought down the hard copy email for Viking onboard rep to see and she immediately said she would honor the request.

I use Ozempic, which is supposed to be refrigerated. I stored it in the room's fridge, which kept the medication cool enough to keep it useable.

I spoke to my physician before the trip, and was told that, so long as it didn't get hot, I could get away with not refrigerating it at all; I don't of course know the particulars of the OP's medication in question, but a call to one's endocrinologist might alleviate any concerns about drugs being ruined if not kept cold enough.

If I were to try to store my meds in the medical area, and then were refused, I'd take it up with the highest authority I could reach on the ship. I wonder if that was tried; regardless, I agree with the poster who recommended that something like this might best be documented in writing.

Edited by longterm

Wow....that is really concerning information. As Longterm stated, I would not have stopped at no. I would have taken it up with a higher authority. I can't imagine that they do not have a system for storing those medications since there is not a way to do that in staterooms. Yes, liability and all of that, but there are ways a medical facility can handle those issues as long as the medication is legal and properly documented. 

To 17pandd,

Since you talked to Viking, I would at least email Tellus@viking.com and tell them your story. Be as specific as possible, and request that they review your call if possible. (Hello, this is Viking on a recorded line…that’s what I hear often.) I’d request some compensation, and request a change in policy to handle the many medications that must be onboard every ship. If you get a call back, ask for a follow-up email if they promise compensation. I usually use the chat function or tellus for important questions, as I have a written record of the conversation, Sorry for your troubles, and hope someone at Viking makes some changes as it appears medication storage is not standard on the various ships. 
For those reading this, if I had medication needing refrigeration I would email the ship itself, the address is usually in the final documents.

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:17 PM, 17pandd said:

We appreciate you taking the time to share your unique experience, @17pandd, and regret to learn about your medicine. In order to better assist, please reach out to us at tellus@vikingcruises.com where one of our seasoned Guest Services agents will happily assist. We look forward to connecting and wish you a great rest of your day. 

• Like 3

On 12/18/2023 at 5:57 PM, Viking Cruises said:

We appreciate you taking the time to share your unique experience, @17pandd, and regret to learn about your medicine. In order to better assist, please reach out to us at tellus@vikingcruises.com where one of our seasoned Guest Services agents will happily assist. We look forward to connecting and wish you a great rest of your day. 

Unfortunately, their experience is not "unique". I also have a medication that I need to inject every 2 weeks, and needs to be kept in a temperature range. We were lucky enough to be traveling for 2 weeks where I could take my injection on the morning before we left for the airport, and then next one 2 weeks later when we arrived at home after disembarking in Fort Lauderdale and drove home where my injection was waiting for me in the refrigerator at an optimum temperature.

We booked this cruise before I needed this medication, so it was only a coincidence that the shots lined up perfectly. Otherwise, I would have been in the same situation as 17pandd's husband. There are many other people who need this service. If Viking can't provide it, they need to make it public so we can try to book our cruises around it. Skipping our medication can have severe results for us.  Thanks for your consideration of all future Viking quests.

• Like 1

With so many older people these days (including me) needing meds that need refrigeration, it's distressing to imagine that Viking wouldn't have policies in place that would accommodate these guests. With the majority of Viking's customers being over 50 (being kind there!), an acceptable policy needs to be put in place and its ship's officers informed that accommodations must be made.

I know Viking's watching this thread, so hope they'll address this issue publicly here so that those of us affected by these policies will be more willing to book cruises in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Unfortunately, their experience is not "unique". I also have a medication that I need to inject every 2 weeks, and needs to be kept in a temperature range. We were lucky enough to be traveling for 2 weeks where I could take my injection on the morning before we left for the airport, and then next one 2 weeks later when we arrived at home after disembarking in Fort Lauderdale and drove home where my injection was waiting for me in the refrigerator at an optimum temperature.

We booked this cruise before I needed this medication, so it was only a coincidence that the shots lined up perfectly. Otherwise, I would have been in the same situation as 17pandd's husband. There are many other people who need this service. If Viking can't provide it, they need to make it public so we can try to book our cruises around it. Skipping our medication can have severe results for us.  Thanks for your consideration of all future Viking quests.

This is not the norm though.  I know people who did deliver their meds to the medical center and they were stored for them during the cruise.  I can’t explain why the OP had the problems he did, because what he was informed was what *should* have happened.  I hope Viking sorts this out for them.

I am not familiar with these meds and the requirements either.

I take three injectables and they are all safe from anywhere around 56 days at room temperature.  They specifically state that the temps should not exceed 30C or 86F during that time.  Regular room temp is how I store these at home once a syringe is first used.  I don't put it back and forth to the fridge.

If you are going on a cruise longer than 60 days, then it would be a problem.

I have not done it, but I did in the beginning have concerns about storage and emailed Viking and I was told that the medical centre would store them for me on request.

I am not asking you to disclose your medication nor am I suggesting that because I don't know what it is that it does not need proper refrigeration, but talk with your pharmacist and get their input because many medications today are manufactured with prolonged storage out of refrigeration in mind. 

• Like 1

I’m an insulin dependent diabetic and have been using an insulin pump for longer than I have been cruising. As CDN states, different medications have different storage and temperature requirements. I personally have never had a problem using the cabin refrigerator. Detailed info is available on several websites.

• Like 1

I too am a insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. My medication has similar storage requirements to what CDN detailed. Store refrigerated between 36°f and 46°f until expiration date. Store at room temperature up to 14 days for one an up to 28 days for the other. My DW travels with Embrel which requires the same long storage temperature and can only stay out at room temperature for 7 days. As to the fridge in Viking cabins... I travel with a thermometer to monitor the fridge temperature. On both ocean and river ships the fridges have always been reliably below the 46°f ceiling, typically at 40°f to 42°f. This covers multiple sailings. So I personally have not had a problem on Viking ships myself.

Is there medication that must be kept refrigerated right up to the time of use, I don't know. I can see where such medication would need much more monitoring. 

7 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I too am a insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. My medication has similar storage requirements to what CDN detailed. Store refrigerated between 36°f and 46°f until expiration date. Store at room temperature up to 14 days for one an up to 28 days for the other. My DW travels with Embrel which requires the same long storage temperature and can only stay out at room temperature for 7 days. As to the fridge in Viking cabins... I travel with a thermometer to monitor the fridge temperature. On both ocean and river ships the fridges have always been reliably below the 46°f ceiling, typically at 40°f to 42°f. This covers multiple sailings. So I personally have not had a problem on Viking ships myself.

Is there medication that must be kept refrigerated right up to the time of use, I don't know. I can see where such medication would need much more monitoring. 

My medication is in the same class of drugs as Enbrel. My medication must be stored between 36 and 46 F. It's sent to me once a month via FedEx in a styrofoam color with 3 ice packs and a lot of bubble wrap. If it freezes, it turns cloudy and must be discarded. It can be allowed to go to room temperature (maximum 77 F), but must then be used within 14 days, and if not, be discarded. Living in Florida, room temperature is often above 77. On our recent Viking Ocean cruise, I didn't bring a thermometer since I didn't need to bring my medication, but I haven't seen the drawer type refrigerator before, and have no idea where the cold and warm spots are.

I'm really hoping Viking will respond with a policy statement on this.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:25 PM, formernuke said:

I’m not familiar with these drugs. Is it possible there are different temperature bands and perhaps they couldn’t accommodate multiple different bands??

I don't use insulin and can't comment there, but when I was about to leave for our Viking river cruise at the first of October, I called my endocrinologist and told her that I'd be taking my weekly dose of Ozempic a day early (day before the cruise), and asked whether she thought I could just skip the next 2 weekly doses, since our total travel time was going to end up being 18 days. She told me that I could pack my Ozempic, which needs refrigeration, in my suitcase, and then unless it were to get warm, it would survive the flight and would be just fine in a stateroom mini-fridge. 

• 2 months later...

How does one keep injecter type medications cold enough on the way? From our door to the room refrigerator (assuming they have one) in the pre-extension hotel is going to be probably sixteen hours + or -.

6 minutes ago, duquephart said:

How does one keep injecter type medications cold enough on the way? From our door to the room refrigerator (assuming they have one) in the pre-extension hotel is going to be probably sixteen hours + or -.

Not to be prying, but what medications?

I take 2 different injectables, and both are good at room temperature for up to 60 days.

Do they absolutely have to be constantly refrigerated?  So many do not today.

Have you talked to your pharmacist?

If you absolutely do need to keep cold, there are tubes that have ice packs that you can buy that will keep cold, but flights and hotels....  who knows how long.

Also it has been commented on that many fridges are not refrigerators but "coolers" and cannot be relied upon for constant or specific temperature.

There is also recommendations that many medications - like insulin - are not in and out of the fridge.  Once it has come to room temp, leave it at that.

All of this said, your medication may have different needs.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I take 2 different injectables, and both are good at room temperature for up to 60 days.

If you absolutely do need to keep cold, there are tubes that have ice packs that you can buy that will keep cold, but flights and hotels....  who knows how long.

Also it has been commented on that many fridges are not refrigerators but "coolers" and cannot be relied upon for constant or specific temperature.

There is also recommendations that many medications - like insulin - are not in and out of the fridge.  Once it has come to room temp, leave it at that.

Do injectables have to travel in checked luggage on a flight, or can they be in your carryon?

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

https://4allfamily.com/products/portable-medical-fridge-usb-insulin-medicines?tw_source=google&tw_adid=&tw_source=google&tw_adid=&tw_campaign=18066227747&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwkuqvBhAQEiwA65XxQPETa8Y05erpQrEiPdNjUHH1DzwTnoRRIPy5t4pzfkc9zexkEJM40BoCwWgQAvD_BwE

I have 2 of these and love them. As long as you have power they will maintain temp forever. Just on the gelpak they will hold a safe temp for 12-14 hours. TSA recognize them and pass them through quickly without issue. 

8 minutes ago, millybess said:

Do injectables have to travel in checked luggage on a flight, or can they be in your carryon?

Been told to NOT put my type 2 medications in my checked luggage. Never had an issue getting through TSA and in fact my medication kit doesn't count towards my carry-on luggage limit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, millybess said:

Always carryon and if they try to force the checking of the carryon, you would always remove them first.

TSA and security around the world are well used to diabetic insulin and other injectables.

• Thanks 1