Starlink internet

molecrochip

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Hello everybody

To confirm that following the successful commissioning of Aurora, the entire P&O fleet is now offering internet via the Starlink system.

Thank you Molecrochip.   Do you or anyone else know if it’s possible to check what the star link coverage is in various parts of the world? Thinking in particular of northern Norway coverage for upcoming Aurora cruise/West Africa and Red Sea for later cruises on another line.  I had in flight Wi-Fi over the Pole on a flight back from Japan a few weeks ago.  Didn’t work for most of the flight. Had been great on the way out, flying over Khazakstan and Mongolia etc

Edited by galeforce9

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Does that map mean that there is no continuous link across the oceans, which I assume is incorrect.

Yes, the starlink satellites communicate with each other via laser links so coverage is maintained across oceans etc. Your cruise Wifi can send data via a series of starlink satellites and eventually to a ground station. Apparently those laser links can be faster than fibre optic cable.

• Like 1

The map with the link above is for land use. In international waters it should be available in most areas.
We recently travelled on another cruise line to Antarctica and got Starlink coverage all the way around the Antarctic peninsula and on the trip down and back to Argentina.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

Yes, the starlink satellites communicate with each other via laser links so coverage is maintained across oceans etc. Your cruise Wifi can send data via a series of starlink satellites and eventually to a ground station. Apparently those laser links can be faster than fibre optic cable.

Could Starlink be used to carry TV channels, maybe replacing or improving satellite TV transmissions?

Using it on Aurora now.

Ultimate package for the last few days of the cruise.

Very good performance in the cabin.

About 30 mbps download and 18 mbps upload speed according to various speed test I have run - these aren’t very accurate- but it’s like bring at home.

Very impressed.

Way faster than at the start of the cruise.

I will buy a full cruise package next time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Using it on Aurora now.

About 30 mbps download and 18 mbps upload speed according to various speed test I have run - these aren’t very accurate- but it’s like bring at home.

Very impressed.

At the start did you have normal not ultimate?

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Using it on Aurora now.

Very impressed.

This is excellent news and I really appreciate the updates. I tried the WiFi for the first time ever (just for 2 x 24 hour periods) when we were on Ventura recently as a trial, and assumed that it was Starlink as it seemed to work as well as it does at home (BT Superfast Broadband) for the basic package (emails, web browsing and social media). I even managed to make a video call via Snapchat, which I didn’t think that I’d be able to do on the basic package. 

I am now reassured that I’ve done the right thing pre-booking the essentials package for our long cruise next month, especially as I’ve got it for £6.47 a day!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Hope not ,T V is the last thing I'm interested in on a cruise, However if it provides better wi fi for those people that need it for work purposes etc then it has to be a good thing  

Why would you say you hope it won't provide better quality TV  just because you won't use it?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Could Starlink be used to carry TV channels

The obvious answer is yes it could, but the real question is whether it will, which i would imagine will come down to cost and the contract that Carnival have with Starlink.

2 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Hope not ,T V is the last thing I'm interested in on a cruise, However if it provides better wi fi for those people that need it for work purposes etc then it has to be a good thing  

Why do you ‘hope not’? Seems rather selfish. We certainly don’t book a cruise to watch TV, but I like to keep abreast of the news (and the picture quality and signal stability is dreadful), and we find that sea days can be rather tedious, especially since P&O have cut right back on guest lecturers, so having a decent, watchable TV in your cabin isn’t much to ask for. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, galeforce9 said:

At the start did you have normal not ultimate?

Had ultimate at the start so comparing like with like. I did try standard at the start for a few minutes but not good enough so upgraded to ultimate . I haven’t tried standard on starlink

In response to Terrier John and Selbourne, Re tv,  I was implying that any future bandwidth should be first made available to passengers paying for internet connection.  In no way was I suggesting that people should not watch tv . On a personal level tv is near the bottom of my things to do on a cruise , but as I have discovered in the past,  personal opinions are not the brightest things to express on these boards and I must therefore remind myself not to pass comment, unless of course it is to help answer specific queries or advice to help others