Barcelona logistics

Mark O

My wife and I will be arriving in Barcelona on April 2nd.  As we've previously seen many of the major sights (La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, La Pedrera-Casa Mila, Jewish Quarter, Gothic Quarter, Basilica de Santa Maria, Barcelona Museum, Picasso Museum, Barceloneta Beach, Els 4Gats Restaurant and Las Ramblas), we're focused on seeing Casa Batlló, stopping for some tapas and wine (not on Las Ramblas) and we're looking for any other suggestions of things to do within walking distance.  Also, we plan to take a taxi to/from the port and city and would like some hints on how much to expect to pay, how not to get scammed, and where in the city would we be able to find a reputable taxi, etc.  I know this is a lot, but we'd appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by Mark O

Hi Mark,

We've stayed in Barcelona three times and have done most of the tourist things too. 

We did an evening tapas food tour and I highly recommend it! It was a small group, walking tour and we went to authentic, non-touristy places that you might not find on your own. We had a fun evening! Booked it in advance online-  "Devour" food tours - they have daytime options as well.

Have you taken the Montjuic Parc cable car up to the castle/fortress? Great views at the top and gets you away from the big crowds for a while. We also took our daughter to the Barcelona Aquarium and had a nice couple of hours there. Don't know if that would interest you but it was quite nice and it's located right on the waterfront. 

Last August was our third time visiting Barcelona. For something different,  we booked a private guide and went by high-speed train from Barcelona to Girona and absolutely loved it there. Or book the train online and DIY if you'd rather. Not sure how many days you are in Barcelona, but there are also a few seaside towns that are very doable by train for a day trip from Barcelona if you prefer. We usually try to meet up with a local guide who knows all the good spots, best food and history/information, because it makes the day so much more enjoyable for us.  

We have always pre-booked a taxi/car service with our hotel and had no issues getting to/from the cruise port at the correct time. It always seems a very busy port so I would definitely pre-book your ride. 

Love Barcelona! Have a great time!🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark O said:

My wife and I will be arriving in Barcelona on April 2nd.  As we've previously seen many of the major sights (La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, La Pedrera-Casa Mila, Jewish Quarter, Gothic Quarter, Basilica de Santa Maria, Barcelona Museum, Picasso Museum, Barceloneta Beach, Els 4Gats Restaurant and Las Ramblas), we're focused on seeing Casa Batlló, stopping for some tapas and wine (not on Las Ramblas) and we're looking for any other suggestions of things to do within walking distance.  Also, we plan to take a taxi to/from the port and city and would like some hints on how much to expect to pay, how not to get scammed, and where in the city would we be able to find a reputable taxi, etc.  I know this is a lot, but we'd appreciate any suggestions.

hi Mark

I wrote this post about transportation in Barcelona.

I hope you find it interesting but feel free to post there further questions

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 2:00 AM, alserrod said:

I wrote this post about transportation in Barcelona.

I hope you find it interesting but feel free to post there further questions

Do you have a suggestion for someone traveling solo who cannot stand in a taxi line?  I do have wheelchair assistance from the plane, to luggage, and to the curb.  I can't imagine a wheelchair pusher would push me through a taxi line.  I've used reserved services in other European locations but haven't found anything for Barcelona that comes highly recommended, or even sort of recommended.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Do you have a suggestion for someone traveling solo who cannot stand in a taxi line?  I do have wheelchair assistance from the plane, to luggage, and to the curb.  I can't imagine a wheelchair pusher would push me through a taxi line.  I've used reserved services in other European locations but haven't found anything for Barcelona that comes highly recommended, or even sort of recommended.  Thanks.

hi

you can have a look here about this info

On 12/14/2023 at 2:46 PM, Mark O said:

and we're looking for any other suggestions of things to do within walking distance.

Last time we docked in Barcelona we really didn't want the crowds that we had experienced on previous port calls. (plus a one week land stay) we thought we had also seen most of what was of interest to us, so we did something totally different. 

We walked along the pleasant waterfront, passing small marinas, cafes, restaurants etc to historic Barcelonetta and explored there before continuing further along the promenade which runs alongside the sea and the several beaches.  If doing this, you will pass a hospital on the left opposite the beaches, continue onwards. We walked as far as Port Olimpic (correct spelling) then took a left along a main road with traffic next to that port and close to a small shopping centre walked a very short distance before cutting in to the left at the fountain with Olympic athletes in the middle, then walking anti-clockwise around the perimeter of  the Zoo until we arrived at one of the entrances to Parc de la Ciutadella, a wonderful public park  The rest of the route was traffic free apart from the few streets in historic Barcelonetta. .  Nowhere we went was crowded, and like the waterfront/promenade walk, was peaceful and free of traffic noise.  Parc de la Ciutadella is very important park in Barcelona and there is quite a lot to see and do in there., including a truly monumental fountain which is quite a sight to behold, a boating lake and various other attractions. If you don't like the sound of the beacv/promenade/Barcelonettasuggestions, you could simply head to the park which is worth a visit.

Try googling Barcelonetta and Parc de la Ciutadella for info, images also tripadvisor for reviews.

There are two cable cars in Barcelona.  We have only ridden the Montjuic one but it was worth doing..

12 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Last time we docked in Barcelona we really didn't want the crowds that we had experienced on previous port calls. (plus a one week land stay) we thought we had also seen most of what was of interest to us, so we did something totally different. 

We walked along the pleasant waterfront, passing small marinas, cafes, restaurants etc to historic Barcelonetta and explored there before continuing further along the promenade which runs alongside the sea and the several beaches.  If doing this, you will pass a hospital on the left opposite the beaches, continue onwards. We walked as far as Port Olimpic (correct spelling) then took a left along a main road with traffic next to that port and close to a small shopping centre walked a very short distance before cutting in to the left at the fountain with Olympic athletes in the middle, then walking anti-clockwise around the perimeter of  the Zoo until we arrived at one of the entrances to Parc de la Ciutadella, a wonderful public park  The rest of the route was traffic free apart from the few streets in historic Barcelonetta. .  Nowhere we went was crowded, and like the waterfront/promenade walk, was peaceful and free of traffic noise.  Parc de la Ciutadella is very important park in Barcelona and there is quite a lot to see and do in there., including a truly monumental fountain which is quite a sight to behold, a boating lake and various other attractions. If you don't like the sound of the beacv/promenade/Barcelonettasuggestions, you could simply head to the park which is worth a visit.

Try googling Barcelonetta and Parc de la Ciutadella for info, images also tripadvisor for reviews.

There are two cable cars in Barcelona.  We have only ridden the Montjuic one but it was worth doing..

Thanks for that great suggestion.  Did you need to take any transportation on that journey?

I focused on the "how not to get scammed" issue.  Because of about a half century of independent travel. we have become pretty good at sniffing out scams (it has become instinct).  This has been further reinforced by living our winters in Puerto Vallarta (a cruise port) and realizing that taxis (and many vendors) have different prices;  locals, gringos, and cruisers.  And guess who gets the shaft?

I think the first rule for cruisers is to understand that much of the world considers cruisers "easy marks."  Why do you think there is a Diamonds International only in cruise ports?  For whatever reason. many cruisers seem to leave their good judgement at home when they get on a ship.  We could talk about the art auctions, overpriced excursions, jewelry shops. etc.  It is just a part of cruising and cruisers.

So this brings me to Barcelona, a place where some taxis will often do their best to rip-off cruisers.  It can be as simply as setting their meters to the #2 setting for day fares (which generates higher fares), not even using meters, taking the long routes, etc.  And there are the local restaurants that specialize in tourists and charge tourist prices for sub-standard food/drink.  But Barcelona is an amazing city with much to offer the folks.

My simple advice to cruisers in Barcelona is to make sure your valuables are not accessible to pick pockets, make sure taxis run their meters and take a direct route (follow along on google maps or Apple maps) and have a great time  Also be very careful if you sit down at one of the outdoor restaurants on the Ramblas!  Know the price of what you are ordering and make sure that is what you are charged.   We have been to Barcelona more then a dozen times and still enjoy the city.

Hank

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I focused on the "how not to get scammed" issue.  Because of about a half century of independent travel. we have become pretty good at sniffing out scams (it has become instinct).  This has been further reinforced by living our winters in Puerto Vallarta (a cruise port) and realizing that taxis (and many vendors) have different prices;  locals, gringos, and cruisers.  And guess who gets the shaft?

I think the first rule for cruisers is to understand that much of the world considers cruisers "easy marks."  Why do you think there is a Diamonds International only in cruise ports?  For whatever reason. many cruisers seem to leave their good judgement at home when they get on a ship.  We could talk about the art auctions, overpriced excursions, jewelry shops. etc.  It is just a part of cruising and cruisers.

So this brings me to Barcelona, a place where some taxis will often do their best to rip-off cruisers.  It can be as simply as setting their meters to the #2 setting for day fares (which generates higher fares), not even using meters, taking the long routes, etc.  And there are the local restaurants that specialize in tourists and charge tourist prices for sub-standard food/drink.  But Barcelona is an amazing city with much to offer the folks.

My simple advice to cruisers in Barcelona is to make sure your valuables are not accessible to pick pockets, make sure taxis run their meters and take a direct route (follow along on google maps or Apple maps) and have a great time  Also be very careful if you sit down at one of the outdoor restaurants on the Ramblas!  Know the price of what you are ordering and make sure that is what you are charged.   We have been to Barcelona more then a dozen times and still enjoy the city.

Hank

About Barcelona I would be very alert about pickpockets (not thieves but pickpockets), especially in the Ramblas area. It is enough to be careful and for them to see that it is not going to be easy for them to take your money or your things so that they do not do anything to you (don't carry anything in sight, everything very tight).

The restaurants advertised for tourists also deserve a separate comment. The suggestion here is to always check reviews... and sometimes trust your instinct or simply consult.

However, in taxis it is not so easy to deceive.
They cannot select rate 2 (applies from 8:00 p.m. and weekends) if rate 1 applies.... the rate is selected by itself with the taxi clock (and at 8:00 rate 1 is selected again) and... is displayed on the outside of the taxi (next to the taxi sign the number indicates the rate to be applied). If a police officer sees a wrong number he can stop the taxi and the fine is not small.
Even so, and if they had tampered with it, they have random inspections. The money they can make by cheating on the fare is not worth the consequences of being caught in a random inspection (plus, the airport, port, station supplements, and the minimum fare are the same on any fare).

Yes, they can scam you with a different route.
To do this, know that you can choose the itinerary you want to go to your destination. For certain routes there may be several options and you can choose the cheapest or the fastest. You can even point it out on Google Maps and show it to them before leaving. He'll have to take you there.

And most importantly... know the rates. There are fixed prices on some routes and on others you can find out the approximate price before getting on

I recommend you visit this post

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2976917-transport-in-barcelona-taxi-metro-bus-etc-to-the-city-port-and-airport-all-information-and-questions/#comment-66513801

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from Barcelona for the second time. We opted to do Casa Batllo "Be the First Visit" at 8:45am. It was not crowded and we used the audioguide we received. The audioguide is detailed enough to really get a feel for how the house and how all of the details were created. I have always been a big Gaudi fan, so I really enjoyed it.  My DH thought it was a little lengthy for each room. There is an opportunity for a photo leaning out of one of the upper balconies. Do it! We ended up buying both pictures of DH and myself and the one with two of my daughters. 

We also tried the Montjuic cable car this time as it was a great way to spend some time in the sunshine while we wore off our jet lag the first day. There are lovely views of the city and I enjoy a nice cable car ride. 

We walked or took taxis for our two days pre-cruise and one day after. I never felt we were over-charged or scammed. My husband paid with ApplePay on his phone. 

Enjoy your trip! We love Barcelona. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1