New Bidding Process

tgloersen

On 1/4/2024 at 7:29 PM, prt328 said:

Going through this live bidding now.  I know for a fact that there is a LOT of open inventory on Club Balcony and Havens.  When you get the notice "you have been outbid" it means just that.  There may be 5 of the room you are bidding on available, and you MAY have the SECOND highest bid, but, technically, you have been outbid.  The crapshoot comes in when there are 35 other bidders on that room and you have no idea the range of those bids.  But knowing how many bidders helps...at least a little.

Update.  There were appx. 60 bidders on each of the Haven categories.  There were 70 Haven rooms available.  I was in a balcony and put in a small bid for Club Balcony.  Of my 7 bids, I was awarded the Club.  Basically everyone who bid the minimum was awarded Club.  There were ZERO Havens awarded as there are still 70 available and all bids (mine and all other bidders) were canceled and ineligible to bid again.  If NCL did not want to fill Haven they should not have perked everyone around with the live bidding.  

On 1/5/2024 at 5:45 PM, itsnotjustme said:

I am never excited when the seller also controls a non-transparent bidding process.  That is ripe for abuse.

10 minutes ago, prt328 said:

If NCL did not want to fill Haven they should not have perked everyone around with the live bidding.  

I thought the bidding was done by a third party. That would not be "control" or "perked everyone around" by NCL, right?

remember, the bidding is only an offer from ncl. if you feel the process or the way it's handled is unfair, improper, or downright crooked, you dont have to participate in the bidding process.

pick the cabin you want, decide if the price is what you wish to pay, and go ahead and book. dont worry about a potential bid offer that may or may not come.

we're on the star from rio to lisbon this april. although we really dont need all the extra space, we got (IMHO) a phenomenal price on the 2 bedroom suite. ncl  offered me   the chance to bid on the garden villa. while i would love to experience that cabin at least once in my life, my wife and i certainly dont need all that space, so naturally i passed on the offer.

if by chance, the DOS comes up for bid, and the price seems reasonable, i ,might consider bidding, but right now it shows all cabins in that category are sold out. so, i'll happily stay  in/with my 2 bedroom

10 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I thought the bidding was done by a third party. That would not be "control" or "perked everyone around" by NCL, right?

I meant to write "jerked."  Yes it is a 3rd party but I'm sure NCL has final say.

3 hours ago, prt328 said:

I meant to write "jerked."  Yes it is a 3rd party but I'm sure NCL has final say.

Look at the T&C and that recent thread where 3rd/NCL ignored the terms and withdrew a confirmed bid later.

Your  bid with payment taken is only binding on you NCL can change their mind.

They could set the min bid on the range below a reserve.

3rd party is used to save each cruise line developing their own system.

given the state of most cruise lines IT you can understand.

21 hours ago, prt328 said:

Update.  There were appx. 60 bidders on each of the Haven categories.  There were 70 Haven rooms available.  I was in a balcony and put in a small bid for Club Balcony.  Of my 7 bids, I was awarded the Club.  Basically everyone who bid the minimum was awarded Club.  There were ZERO Havens awarded as there are still 70 available and all bids (mine and all other bidders) were canceled and ineligible to bid again.  If NCL did not want to fill Haven they should not have perked everyone around with the live bidding.  

Where do you get all of this bidding data from?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:44 AM, insidecabin said:

that recent thread where 3rd/NCL ignored the terms and withdrew a confirmed bid later.

Wow, I must've totally missed this one. Do you know where this was on the forum? I'd be interested to read it. That's pretty crappy on their part.