I'm so overwhelmed! Not sure where to start....help!

Tippy_Toes

1 hour ago, Tippy_Toes said:

Thanks for sharing your amazing itinerary! That sounds absolutely fantastic. Like you, this will be a one and done trip for us too, so looking to spend 4 to 5 weeks travelling over there. I'm trying to decide if we should do Rocky Mountaineer and self drive around Bsnff, Jasper etc and 2 weeks cruise, or do Aladka land for 1 week taking in Fairbanks, Denali etc then cruise for a week Southbound to Vancouver. 

I'm also flip flopping back n forth about time of year to visit, May/June or late Aug/Sep to hopefully see the Northern lights.

I'm thinking September might be too late for bears though? I definitely hope to see bears!! 

You may find this link useful:

https://travel.usnews.com/features/northern-lights-in-alaska#time

It says the best time from August 21 to April 21. We were very fortunate and saw them on August 28, 2000.

3 hours ago, Tippy_Toes said:

I'm also flip flopping back n forth about time of year to visit, May/June or late Aug/Sep to hopefully see the Northern lights

The time to travel is something only the individual traveller can decide.

decide on what’s important to you to see and take it from there.

August is good but Northern lights can be a bit hit and miss….. the later you get the better the chances for the lights,. However other things start to shut down.

once the snow starts to melt on the glaciers, helicopter landings and dog sledding stops.

good luck with the planning. It can be frustrating at times, but once you start locking things in the anticipation takes over.

38 minutes ago, BINDY31 said:

The time to travel is something only the individual traveller can decide.

decide on what’s important to you to see and take it from there.

August is good but Northern lights can be a bit hit and miss….. the later you get the better the chances for the lights,. However other things start to shut down.

once the snow starts to melt on the glaciers, helicopter landings and dog sledding stops.

good luck with the planning. It can be frustrating at times, but once you start locking things in the anticipation takes over.

True... The tourist ports are basically shut down about mid September.

3 hours ago, nini said:

It says the best time from August 21 to April 21. We were very fortunate and saw them on August 28, 2000.

The August 21 through April 21 dates are the dates which we can potentially see an aurora in Fairbanks.  Dates change depending on location.

47 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

The August 21 through April 21 dates are the dates which we can potentially see an aurora in Fairbanks.  Dates change depending on location.

Thank you. I only followed the information that was on the link that I posted. It would at least give a general guideline to the person who wants to see them during "cruise season".