Has anyone purchased Priority Access for a cruise out of Los Angeles?

orchidking

We are sailing to Mexico on the Bliss in February.  We have not yet reached Platinum so I have looked at the option of purchasing priority access for $199.  We have had pretty good success using the Key on Royal Caribbean but never tried this on NCL. For the most part, reviews I have read indicate that at best, priority access is hit or miss on NCL.  With the exception of the spa discount, the package does not have much value to us other than embarkation and disembarkation so I don't mind the cost if we can skip some lines and also board the ship early.  Love to hear any experiences others have had, particularly out of Los Angeles, as it seems some terminals have a better time handling this perk than others.  Thanks!

The main hiccup with embarking from Los Angeles is the winding line to get through security. Once you get past that point, it’s pretty easy and quick to get onboard. Having that Priority Access does NOT get you through that security line any quicker. Being in the Haven does not even give you a way to by pass that part. So for this port, I would skip it if this would be 1/2 the reason for purchasing it to begin with. That’s my two cents. I live in LA and sail out of that port quite often. Just check in early on the 21st day until your sail date and pick an early time to board. Totally free and your time difference to embark will be within 30 minutes of spending that $199/pp.

Edited by TheDawg79
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDawg79 said:

The main hiccup with embarking from Los Angeles is the winding line to get through security. Once you get past that point, it’s pretty easy and quick to get onboard. Having that Priority Access does NOT get you through that security line any quicker. Being in the Haven does not even give you a way to by pass that part. So for this port, I would skip it if this would be 1/2 the reason for purchasing it to begin with. That’s my two cents. I live in LA and sail out of that port quite often. Just check in early on the 21st day until your sail date and pick an early time to board. Totally free and your time difference to embark will be within 30 minutes of spending that $199/pp.

You say pick an early time to board. Two issues with that.

First, the time you pick is for check in, not boarding.

Second, if you arrive extra early, you may indeed board sooner, but doesn't that mean a longer wait at the terminal before they let anyone board?; plus there are lots of priority passengers that will board before you (if you're not one of those, which I am not).

I am interested, as I will be departing from there in 3 weeks.

I've seen comments about boarding that if you show up later, you shorten your total time by quite a lot.

9 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

You say pick an early time to board. Two issues with that.

First, the time you pick is for check in, not boarding.

Second, if you arrive extra early, you may indeed board sooner, but doesn't that mean a longer wait at the terminal before they let anyone board?; plus there are lots of priority passengers that will board before you (if you're not one of those, which I am not).

I am interested, as I will be departing from there in 3 weeks.

I've seen comments about boarding that if you show up later, you shorten your total time by quite a lot.

We've found that to be the case at other terminals too.  For example, we have found at NOLA, showing up later results in less time spent at the terminal.

Edited by RocketMan275

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Boarding typically begins around 11:15 give or take

Thanks.

I was originally figuring somewhere between 11 and 12 for check in. We're staying at a hotel about 24 minutes away from the terminal, so easy to adjust the time.

5 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Thanks.

I was originally figuring somewhere between 11 and 12 for check in. We're staying at a hotel about 24 minutes away from the terminal, so easy to adjust the time.

It's much more comfortable staying at  the hotel than it is sitting in a plastic chair at the terminal.  Usually, the actual boarding will start about two, maybe two and a half, hours after the first allowable checkin time.

That should tell you that if  you get there before the first checkin time, you'll be sitting in the terminal for about two plus hours.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's much more comfortable staying at  the hotel than it is sitting in a plastic chair at the terminal.  Usually, the actual boarding will start about two, maybe two and a half, hours after the first allowable checkin time.

That should tell you that if  you get there before the first checkin time, you'll be sitting in the terminal for about two plus hours.

Good tip.

Thanks, RocketMan

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Good tip.

Thanks, RocketMan

Understand that there are some who vehemently disagree insisting that one should be at the terminal prior to 9 AM so that you'll be one of the first to board.  

I remember when we  used to get to the terminal before the gates were opened. That just doesn't seem so important now.  

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Understand that there are some who vehemently disagree insisting that one should be at the terminal prior to 9 AM so that you'll be one of the first to board.  

I remember when we  used to get to the terminal before the gates were opened. That just doesn't seem so important now.  

True enough.

Already have my dining reservations (3).

I'll see how the show res. goes on Thursday night.

Need to get upgraded internet after boarding (paying with OBC).

Cabins, of course, are untouchable for some time.

So, rush to board? Not so much.

21 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

True enough.

Already have my dining reservations (3).

I'll see how the show res. goes on Thursday night.

Need to get upgraded internet after boarding (paying with OBC).

Cabins, of course, are untouchable for some time.

So, rush to board? Not so much.

It seems like some think the buffet will run out of food.

• Haha 1

I used to check in at midnight, head to the port at 9:30 and receive those coveted Group 1 boarding passes to be among the first to board.  Now I check in at midnight, head to the port at 9:30 - 10:00 and remind the counter agent that I don't need no stinkin' pass, because as Platinum or above I'll get to board three minutes before those suckers in Group 1.  Do I wind up sitting around for an hour or so?  Absolutely!  Do I mind?  Heck no!  That is when anticipation is at its peak and I can gaze at that beautiful ship awaiting me right outside those big windows.

Others?  They may despise the wait and choose to remain in their boring hotel rooms watching a morning talk show (which I despise).  Just get me to the terminal and it's happy times! 😎

Back on topic.  I would suggest the OP pocket their $199 and just get to the terminal at 9:30.  I'll wave to you.

Priority disembark is a different matter.  I want to have a leisurely breakfast and hang around on the ship until they boot me off.  We screwed up a few weeks ago and headed for the exits when they made their "last call."  Still waited in lines for 15 - 20 minutes.  In July we waited until they started naming names and we just walked off without any lines to be seen.😏

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm more concerned with O'Shehans or the Brewhouse running out of Guinness.  It's happened on two of my cruises.  True story.

disclaimer: I was likely part of the "problem"

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yeah.

But they just might run out of seats in that mad dash.

I hate roaming around searching for a seat when it crowds up.

Perhaps it's wise to hit another spot for some lunch.

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I used to check in at midnight, head to the port at 9:30 and receive those coveted Group 1 boarding passes to be among the first to board.  Now I check in at midnight, head to the port at 9:30 - 10:00 and remind the counter agent that I don't need no stinkin' pass, because as Platinum or above I'll get to board three minutes before those suckers in Group 1.  Do I wind up sitting around for an hour or so?  Absolutely!  Do I mind?  Heck no!  That is when anticipation is at its peak and I can gaze at that beautiful ship awaiting me right outside those big windows.

Others?  They may despise the wait and choose to remain in their boring hotel rooms watching a morning talk show (which I despise).  Just get me to the terminal and it's happy times! 😎

Back on topic.  I would suggest the OP pocket their $199 and just get to the terminal at 9:30.  I'll wave to you.

Priority disembark is a different matter.  I want to have a leisurely breakfast and hang around on the ship until they boot me off.  We screwed up a few weeks ago and headed for the exits when they made their "last call."  Still waited in lines for 15 - 20 minutes.  In July we waited until they started naming names and we just walked off without any lines to be seen.😏

Alas, I do not have that exalted status - and probably never will.

After next month, I'll be just a tab short of gold.