Need excursion suggestions for Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Punta Arenas

gam888

We are sailing with Sapphire Princess in February to South America. We booked some excursions with the ship, but some of the ports we didn't find an excursion that interests us, or they are really pricy. Has anyone booked any excursions with a local vendor in Montevideo, Puerto, Punta Arenas? If you are happy with the experience, please share their names with us. Thank you in advance.

Montevideo is easy to do on your own. You will come right into the old town area, near the port. Walk up through this area, turn left on the main pedestrian street. Walk through the historic area. If you are fit, continue to walk on through the commercial area on the same street. At some point along here you can decide to turn right and head over to the sea on the other side. Have a nice lunch at a steakhouse, such as El Fogon. We were there 2 weeks ago, and found the city to be clean, safe, and very simple to navigate. We were able to pick up a print out of a city map on the ship (Azamara Quest), but if Princess doesn't have those you can probably download one. My husband and I enjoyed the city so much we are planning to return to rent an apartment for a few weeks. 

• Like 3

In Puerto Montt we had an excellent excursion arranged with Denis from PuertoMontt-Excursions dot com. It was shared with others from our ship (all coordinated by Denis) and covered a lot of interesting and beautiful things in the area. I would highly recommend.

i’ll have to look at my notes for what we did in the other ports.

• Like 1

Sue, who we travelled with, arranged a very interesting walking tour of Montevideo. It would be easy to find your own way around, but we really enjoyed the info we received from our walking tour. All I have is her email address if you want to communicate with Veronica. ( veronica.moner at gmail dot come.)

Posted (edited)

In Montevideo, I did the free walking tour with Curioso Free Tour (December 2022).  It was very good and was an excellent introduction to Montevideo.  Montevideo is a very walkable city.  I did not feel unsafe there.  I think I tipped $10. 

Free Walking Tours Montevideo - Curioso Free Tour

Hope you make Punta Arenas.  The Sapphire missed that port last December due to high winds.

Edited by Aggie83
Additional Information
  • Like 1