FYI - New Steak Broiler on Ascent

Cap_D

This was interesting amid the cutbacks, up charges, etc.....

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbeans-celebrity-makes-an-impressive-dining-change.

"Bethge then jumped in and explained that this wasn't an accident. Celebrity had actually been working for years on a new steak broiler designed to be hotter than previous options available on cruise ships, she told the group of us.

Celebrity Ascent is the first ship to add the new broiler, but plans are underway to change that."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

good reason to book ..oh wait already did! i found the chops steak on liberty of the seas disappointing but i did like central 150 on oasis. so this should be even better! 

Please report back.  Thanks. 

19 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Interesting, a high temp broiler is something I assumed was already in a cruise ship kitchen. 

Most cruise ships have a "salamander" broiler (I know the ship I worked on 20 years ago did), and they reach 1500*F.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Most cruise ships have a "salamander" broiler (I know the ship I worked on 20 years ago did), and they reach 1500*F.

If they do they don't seem to use them. The Lawn Club Grill cooks over an open flame and I find their grilled meats better than other venues on the ships. I had a BlueStar range with a 1800 degree broiler but I preferred using a searing hot cast iron pan and searzall. I guess I like a conduction better than a radiation heat source. The method - reverse sear - matters more than a hotter broiler.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

I preferred using a searing hot cast iron pan

Cast Iron Grill pan;Gas range. Ribeye steak,oiled and seasoned with fresh ground sea salt,pepper,garlic powder. Preheat grill pan;4 mins each side, rest for 5 and you have perfect ribeye steak with sear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Cast Iron Grill pan;Gas range. Ribeye steak,oiled and seasoned with fresh ground sea salt,pepper,garlic powder. Preheat grill pan;4 mins each side, rest for 5 and you have perfect ribeye steak with sear.

If your smoke detectors get set off easily or your kitchen has bad ventilation, can put the cast iron pan right over the grates of an pre-heated outdoor grill

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Sounds great! Depending on the thickness I bring the temp of the beef up to about 105 F in a toaster oven at 250 and then do a quick sear. Cooks the steak very evenly. 

IMG_2279.thumb.jpeg.06dfa751e9f4cdb4e69953c1d8eda722.jpeg 

IMG_2246.thumb.jpeg.dfd00415be4aa7b5f380a2444b4e9833.jpeg 

Edited by billc23

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If your smoke detectors get set off easily or your kitchen has bad ventilation, can put the cast iron pan right over the grates of an pre-heated outdoor grill

I love the Campchef Sidekick. 14 inch square size with a 28,000 BTU burner. Over the grate work well too:

IMG_8464.thumb.jpeg.3a1330c777cd9caeb0b1c8331116985e.jpeg