Meraviglia Review - December 9-16, 2023

Ottawa_Cruiser

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Ottawa_Cruiser was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I've had several days to recover from my vacation. 🙂

This was our second sailing on the Meraviglia, our first being April 29. I do have a review of the April 29th sailing, but I'm having issues finding it. Once I do, I'll link it here. This review will be short and sweet.

Embarkation

As was our experience the first time, this process was flawless and very well organized. From the time of arrival at the terminal to the time on board was 40 minutes.

Overall Experience

This sailing we didn't have the luck of the weather. We actually had terrible weather for the most part and we had to miss Ocean Cay, going to Miami instead.

One of the vast differences between this cruise and our first one was the service in the MDR. Breakfast always arrived cold and coffee was hard to get, let alone get a refill. Dinner in the MDR was also not nearly as good. There were 4 of us sailing, my hubby, myself and our two kids. Every single dinner two of us would receive an appetizer, while the other two waited...and waited. The first two were finished by the time the other two got appetizers. The same for the main course. It was an awful experience to be truthful and most dinners took 1.5-1.75 hours. On our pervious sailing, they were all around 45min to an hour.

The buffet was often short of coffee mugs. Tea ran out (thanks to a certain passenger group) on day #2. The ice, water and juice machines mostly didn't work also. Plates, cutlery, bowls were also missing at various times.

Want a mimosa on the first 4 days? Good luck. Orange juice was nowhere on the ship.

As usual, the staff are mostly incredible. I have never had an issue getting a drink within a couple of minutes. I do tip each time I order something. We didn't particularly enjoy our MDR waiter, Frezer. He didn't have much personality and the service was subpar. Our cabin steward was on his second sailing, so still very very new. Unfortunately he likely needed more training. On day #1 when we arrived in the cabin, I went to the washroom...only to realize we had NO toilet paper. I'm not sure how one manages to completely forget toilet paper. We also had no bath mat. I called about both of these items and they were promptly delivered. Unfortunately the consistency in which we received toilet paper and the bath mat through the cruise was an issue. At times, we were also short towels. Despite having to make numerous requests for items that should be basic knowledge for a cabin steward, he still had no issue leaving his card and an envelope for an additional gratuity at the end of the cruise.

Give the weather (almost gale force winds, rough seas, storms, etc) - many activities outside were closed. This made for a rather boring experience for the 13 year old.

Disembarkation

We always walk our luggage off the ship. Again, this process was flawless and we were off the ship 10 min after vacating out cabin.

Final Thoughts

MSC is a bargain cruise line and I can't expect it to be like NCL. However, despite this, they definitely need to improve on several factors for us to consider sailing with them again. This trip was far worse than our first sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for sharing! I'm eager to read your first review too. We are taking our 2 teenage boys over spring break year and trying MSC for the first time. Doh, my husband like the tea. The weather may be better, but there will be lots of people being spring break time. 

Tammy

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 12:00 PM, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

Despite having to make numerous requests for items that should be basic knowledge for a cabin steward, he still had no issue leaving his card and an envelope for an additional gratuity at the end of the cruise.

Have NEVER encountered this before....

5 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Have NEVER encountered this before....

Every cruise I've ever been on the room attendant has left an envelope on the last day.  It's up to you if you want to put anything in it.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, nferr said:

Every cruise I've ever been on the room attendant has left an envelope on the last day.  It's up to you if you want to put anything in it.

We’ve been on 72 cruises with 5 on MSC and never experienced a cabin steward leaving an envelope on the last day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

We’ve been on 72 cruises and never experienced a cabin steward leaving an envelope on the last day.

I've been on over 30 and always get an envelope evening before disembarkation. On every line.

Edited by nferr
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nferr said:

Yes back in 1995 I got envelopes, since auto tips I have never gotten an envelope no matter the cruise line and I sailed most mass market. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:37 AM, Brighton Line said:

Yes back in 1995 I got envelopes, since auto tips I have never gotten an envelope no matter the cruise line and I sailed most mass market. 

Right. I didn't know this was still a thing, handing out envelopes.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, tammyjw305 said:

Thank you for sharing! I'm eager to read your first review too. We are taking our 2 teenage boys over spring break year and trying MSC for the first time. Doh, my husband like the tea. The weather may be better, but there will be lots of people being spring break time. 

Tammy

Hi Tammy! We’re on this ship for Spring Break too! 03/24-03/31

1 hour ago, Neotericisis said:

Hi Tammy! We’re on this ship for Spring Break too! 03/24-03/31

Oh, our Spring Break is March 10th-17th instead. I guess it is better if they spread Spring Break crowds out some. I should have been more specific. Have fun on your cruise!

Tammy

3 hours ago, tammyjw305 said:

Oh, our Spring Break is March 10th-17th instead. I guess it is better if they spread Spring Break crowds out some. I should have been more specific. Have fun on your cruise!

Tammy

I’m actually a little nervous because though we are in NJ, NYC’s Spring Break is the 24-31 so public school kids will be out. I hope its not too crazy since its a NYC port. I’m hoping my 14 year old son will meet some nice kids since its just him and parents are uncool lol. I’ve heard that the Brooklyn port had some kinks since it was fairly new, so I’m hoping its all ironed out by now (I saw a video with an almost 3 hour embarkation wait at this port!). They now have scheduled check-in times so I’m crossing my fingers. There are still some cabins left, but the prices are still affordable so I’m sure it will be at capacity by the time of sailing since NYC is so populated.