MDR surcharges - US cruises

Ryan82

Hey, trying to figure out how the additional charges work out on the shis sailing from USA.

I want to preface any judgment by explaining I'm 6ft3, 12 and a half stone. We're pretty active on holidays.

From what I read an additional main is $5, but what about an extra starter?

Just off Magnifica out of Miami, always ordered two "mains", not charged. MSC used to serve seven courses, smaller servings, but many dishes over time.  Much more desireable than the current program.  Nonetheless, no $5 surcharge for the "extra" course (so far).

• Like 1

Not sure if the $5 surcharge is per each extra entree or a blanket fee for all extra entrees as the wording is confusing, and no one here had personal experience with ordering more than one extra the last time I asked here. Keep in mind that there are multiple pasta dishes available in the every day section, and there is either a pasta or risotto dish every night in the section of the menu that changes each night.  Ordering any of those as a "starter" will get you the meal sized portion with no extra fee.  Also, most nights there is an entree salad which should also have the same results.  You can order as many items as you want from the starters and desserts with no restrictions.

9 hours ago, gizfish said:

Keep in mind that there are multiple pasta dishes available in the every day section. Ordering any of those as a "starter" will get you the meal sized portion with no extra fee. 

we tried that and were told there was definitely going to be a fee. it will probably depend on your waiter team, but I wouldn't just straight up tell people that it will definitely be free.

Just an FYI for first time cruisers, these every day pastas are pretty tiny. You can see pics in my review (link in signature).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

14 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we tried that and were told there was definitely going to be a fee. it will probably depend on your waiter team, but I wouldn't just straight up tell people that it will definitely be free.

Just an FYI for first time cruisers, these every day pastas are pretty tiny. You can see pics in my review (link in signature).

Since the Italian tradition usually includes a pasta course, personally I would have spoken to a supervisor if they refused a starter size portion of pasta (if they insisted the fee was for the pasta as a main).  Our experience on Meraviglia with portion size was totally different.  While the sizes of the pasta dishes were not as large as one would get from a restaurant in the U.S., They were definitely a reasonable dinner sized portion and not nearly as tiny as your pictures.  Also the salad portions were larger than what you experienced.

• Like 1