Does anyone know if they ever completed the dock at Isafjordur?

ontheweb

We were on the Prima this past summer, and not only our cruise but every scheduled Prima cruise with this port missed it due to the dock not yet being completed. I believe each week they did not cancel until not much before the cruise hoping, or at least saying they were hoping, the construction would be completed,

Does anyone know if it has been finished? Or are they still working on it? Or maybe they gave up constructing a dock?

Sorry to hear about the Prima issues with Isafjordur; how frustrating!

We were on the HAL Zuiderdam this summer; I don't know about the status now but would say that we did see it in-progress on our cruise to the extent that our scheduled tender stop at Isafjordur was actually able to dock at the pier extension/construction. There was upturned earth and the walkway was still in the progress of being filled in, but it did all seem 'current' when we visited.

Looking at some previous articles, it seems like they started the construction in 2021 and were scheduled to complete in 2023, though of course unfortunately not in time for the summer season for all ships. An October article I could find seems more upbeat about progress since then: part of the phrasing sounds almost like they had completed the work (to extend the pier to 500m and water depth to 10m). Whatever the status, it does seem like they are still working on it and do have funds invested into its progress/completion. Hopefully there will be more clarification/confirmation soon from other posts!

20 hours ago, Nitemare said:

You might want to ask on the Iceland forum at TripAdvisor where a couple folks who live in Iceland might have local knowledge

Or consider contacting the local Tourist Information Office as the works are probably only a few meteres away from their office and they may have the most accurate information.

1 hour ago, marys350 said:

Just sent an email inquiry to the tourist information office and will post if/when I receive a response.

Although, we will not be getting back there soon if ever, I will still be waiting to see their response posted by you.

Posted (edited)
On 12/27/2023 at 1:45 PM, marys350 said:

Just sent an email inquiry to the tourist information office and will post if/when I receive a response.

I received a reply to my email this morning. Here is part of the response: "... a little bit more dredging is still required for the harbour to be regarded as safe for Norwegian Prima. I spoke with the harbour master this morning and he told me that new information regarding the situation are expected to be issued at the end of January..."

I have my fingers crossed that we will hear good news from the harbour master and that the project will be completed in time for Prima's 2024 cruises to Iceland.

Mary

Edited by marys350
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marys350 said:

I received a reply to my email this morning. Here is part of the response: "... a little bit more dredging is still required for the harbour to be regarded as safe for Norwegian Prima. I spoke with the harbour master this morning and he told me that new information regarding the situation are expected to be issued at the end of January..."

I have my fingers crossed that we will hear good news from the harbour master and that the project will be completed in time for Prima's 2024 cruises to Iceland.

Mary

Great info!  Thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, marys350 said:

Mary

🤞 for you. I hope you and all future Prima passengers on that itinerary do get to Isafjordur, unlike all of us in 2023.