Air to Trieste or Venice

footeam

13 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Thank you all..

Any guides for Dubrovnik, Kotor, Katakalon, Corfu or Valletta..

Janncruz1

Valletta, do not bother with the hop n/ hop off bus: a complete waste

we are flying into trieste the day before embarkation there are no direct flights to trieste we are going through frankfurt but taking the 4 hour layover as frankfurt youneed a minimum of 2.5 hours its a very busy airport.

im on the riviera may 29-june 10 is anyone interested in sharing tours with us?

i have booked on line with getyour guide the game of thrones tour at 930 am from dubruvnik if anyone is interested in joining us? im interested in booking the godfather tour in Taoromina with them as well if anyone is interested? 

my email

charongoldman@rogers.com

we are staying at the savoie palace hotel in trieste 

44 minutes ago, tigergoldman said:

we are flying into trieste the day before embarkation there are no direct flights to trieste we are going through frankfurt but taking the 4 hour layover as frankfurt youneed a minimum of 2.5 hours its a very busy airport.

im on the riviera may 29-june 10 is anyone interested in sharing tours with us?

i have booked on line with getyour guide the game of thrones tour at 930 am from dubruvnik if anyone is interested in joining us? im interested in booking the godfather tour in Taoromina with them as well if anyone is interested? 

my email

charongoldman@rogers.com

we are staying at the savoie palace hotel in trieste 

We have been to Dubrovnik a couple of times, once for multiple days.  The historic, walled part of the city is very compact and very walkable, with no cars.  There are a plenty of detailed tourist information both online and in books.  I have no idea if there's really a need to pay anybody to take you on a tour there.  And I am very suspect of anybody who is going to take you on a "Game of Thrones" themed tour of Dubrovnik.  I can't see why a tour like that is necessary.

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

And I am very suspect of anybody who is going to take you on a "Game of Thrones" themed tour of Dubrovnik.  I can't see why a tour like that is necessary.

It's necessary to try to goose interest in a tour company by attaching a popular TV show name to a generic tour.  All they used in Dubrovnik were some exterior shots, all of which can be both researched and found through simple online searches.

On 1/7/2024 at 10:33 PM, Jancruz said:

Any guides for... Kotor....

We were in Kotor off of Riviera in early Nov 2023.

The biggest decision is WHAT do you want to see. For us, we wanted to climb the "mountain" and all of its thousands of small steps to get to the top of the St. John's Fortress for the magnificent views. BUT this is quite a physically demanding effort. And if you do it, get to the entrance early, at 8 or 9 am. Beat the crowds. They'll be coming up when you're coming down.

The historic walled part of the city is very compact and very walkable, with no cars.  Lots of cats. There is plenty of detailed tourist information at the booth by the main gate, as well as online and in books. Doubt there's really a need to pay anybody to take you on a tour there. Seems like all the buildings are either churches or buildings with shops on the ground floor. Shops, shops, shops. Like in Taormina. Or Kavala. Or Split.

There is a nice Idea grocery store not too far from the walls. Bought inexpensive Montenegrin beer (E 0.69 per 500 ml can) and decent Serbian brandy (E 10.50), plus some wine. 

8 hours ago, Psoque said:

We have been to Dubrovnik a couple of times, once for multiple days.  The historic, walled part of the city is very compact and very walkable, with no cars.  There are a plenty of detailed tourist information both online and in books.  I have no idea if there's really a need to pay anybody to take you on a tour there.  And I am very suspect of anybody who is going to take you on a "Game of Thrones" themed tour of Dubrovnik.  I can't see why a tour like that is necessary.

Well my wife and I (mid 50’s) did a “Game of Thrones” tour on a Regent cruise, and it was awesome. So to each his/her own.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:08 PM, Psoque said:

There are multiple factors that should be considered before deciding to do your airfare vs. paying the cruise line, but my personal bias is to just book your own to Marco Polo (VCE) and spend a night in Venice, then take public transport/taxi to Trieste.  Or, if you don’t need to do anything in Venice, I would perhaps fly into Trieste on your own.  I’m partly suggesting this because if you let the cruise line book your flights, they may fly you to Venice or Trieste and you probably have no control over how, and for the matter, when, you will arrive there, unless you pay them more for “deviation.”

We changed planes in Frankfurt and flew to Trieste.  We were 3 days early. It is a delightful city. A highlight was a day trip to Slovenia- not to be missed. We would go back to Trieste in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I'm putting together a trip for my brother and his wife, as they are not well traveled, for their first time in the Med. Their Riviera sailing is Trieste to Athens.

I have them flying in to Venice a few days before, as they've not been there, and staying at the Hotel Moresco. When it's time to move on to Trieste, I have them walking 11 minutes to the Santa Lucia train station, and taking the train (direct, 2 hours 5 minutes) to Trieste Centrale. Then it's just a 14 minute walk from Trieste Centrale to the Savoia Excelsior Palace Hotel Trieste. On boarding day, it's a short walk to the ship.  Like me, they enjoy walking, but if not, it can easily be done with public/private transportation as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

I have them walking 11 minutes to the Santa Lucia train station, and taking the train (direct, 2 hours 5 minutes) to Trieste Centrale. Then it's just a 14 minute walk from Trieste Centrale to the Savoia Excelsior Palace Hotel Trieste. On boarding day, it's a short walk to the ship.  Like me, they enjoy walking, but if not, it can easily be done with public/private transportation as well. 

I hope you realize that this "walking" also involves dragging your suitcase, often over uneven to rough pavements. Not to mention the steps that have to be negotiated for the several bridges they will be crossing. 

Have you asked them about their luggage and its suitability for these treks?

And I'm not even going to go into the question of how well these "not well traveled" folks will do navigating through the streets and walkways.

Kotor option. We visited in early May. Took a nice morning tour to Budva, charming town. Easy to walk around. Then returned and strolled around Kotor, but seemed to be a lot of “junk” shops 6 years ago.

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

...Their Riviera sailing is Trieste to Athens. I have them flying in to Venice a few days before, as they've not been there, and staying at the Hotel Moresco. When it's time to move on to Trieste, I have them walking 11 minutes to the Santa Lucia train station, and taking the train (direct, 2 hours 5 minutes) to Trieste Centrale. Then it's just a 14 minute walk from Trieste Centrale to the Savoia Excelsior Palace Hotel Trieste. On boarding day, it's a short walk to the ship....

We flew into Marco Polo Intl. and spent Oct 27-28-29, 2023 in Venice for our Triest to Athens cruise on Riviera. We bought a 3-day Venice Pass for the Vaporetto (Water Bus) and our BnB was right off the Riva di Biasio station/stop. The Pass also got us entrance into some museums. We paid an add on to it for some public toilets (e.g., we used the one by the Illy Coffee Shop over by St. Mark's Square/Cathedral). We took the Vaporetto everywhere! The train station was just the next stop west of ours, so we just hopped on the water bus, took it to the train station, and then boarded our train from Venice to Trieste. We took a cab at the Trieste train station to the embarkation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I hope you realize that this "walking" also involves dragging your suitcase, often over uneven to rough pavements. Not to mention the steps that have to be negotiated for the several bridges they will be crossing. 

Have you asked them about their luggage and its suitability for these treks?

And I'm not even going to go into the question of how well these "not well traveled" folks will do navigating through the streets and walkways.

Yes, I realize this walking involves navigating stones and steps, all with suitcases, as I've done these routes myself. And yes, we've discussed their luggage which will be one carryon size each. 

They were able to follow my instructions and utilize public transportation and walking easily in England last year, and enjoyed it, so they have expectations that they can handle this as well. 

If they are not feeling up to it, they can always switch gears. In every instance, their itinerary from me gives them options, for example, here is what I wrote for Trieste Centrale to the hotel: 

Make your way from Trieste train station to hotel by taxi, bus or walk. Taxis outside station, approx 6 euros. Bus details here https://collezione.starhotels.com/en/our-hotels/savoia-excelsior-palace-trieste/contacts.html or Walk appr. 14 minutes. 

As to navigating streets and walkways, while they are not well traveled they are not daft or uneducated, and are capable and functioning citizens of the modern world and residents of Washington, DC. I have no doubts in their ability to use a maps app. 

But your concern is appreciated, as I imagine for some, this would not be a suitable way of travel. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

We flew into Marco Polo Intl. and spent Oct 27-28-29, 2023 in Venice for our Triest to Athens cruise on Riviera. We bought a 3-day Venice Pass for the Vaporetto (Water Bus) and our BnB was right off the Riva di Biasio station/stop. The Pass also got us entrance into some museums. We paid an add on to it for some public toilets (e.g., we used the one by the Illy Coffee Shop over by St. Mark's Square/Cathedral). We took the Vaporetto everywhere! The train station was just the next stop west of ours, so we just hopped on the water bus, took it to the train station, and then boarded our train from Venice to Trieste. We took a cab at the Trieste train station to the embarkation.

Like you, I also appreciate the water buses, and have given them information on how to utilize them during their stay. 

25 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

Yes, I realize this walking involves navigating stones and steps, all with suitcases, as I've done these routes myself. And yes, we've discussed their luggage which will be one carryon size each. 

They were able to follow my instructions and utilize public transportation and walking easily in England last year, and enjoyed it, so they have expectations that they can handle this as well………

In England at least we speak the same language, well after a fashion!

In Italy it might be a different story!

On 1/15/2024 at 10:45 AM, terry&mike said:

They were able to follow my instructions and utilize public transportation and walking easily in England last year, and enjoyed it, so they have expectations that they can handle this as well. 

If they are not feeling up to it, they can always switch gears. In every instance, their itinerary from me gives them options, for example, here is what I wrote for Trieste Centrale to the hotel: 

Make your way from Trieste train station to hotel by taxi, bus or walk. Taxis outside station, approx 6 euros. Bus details here https://collezione.starhotels.com/en/our-hotels/savoia-excelsior-palace-trieste/contacts.html or Walk appr. 14 minutes. 

As to navigating streets and walkways, while they are not well traveled they are not daft or uneducated, and are capable and functioning citizens of the modern world and residents of Washington, DC. I have no doubts in their ability to use a maps app. 

But your concern is appreciated, as I imagine for some, this would not be a suitable way of travel. 

We used  a taxi to get from the hotel in Trieste to port. It was inexpensive. When we didn't have luggage it was a great city to walk around.