Cancelling booking penalty

latebuyer

23 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry i found the schedule. I don’t love the 120 days they have vs. 90 days for princess and royal caribbean. Just an observation.

Worth noting though that with Royal, if you cancel anytime before final payment you forfeit your deposit...unless you pay a hefty upfront fee by paying more for the cruise price. 

And, as you now know, the penalty is scaled over time.

Could be worse.

48 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry i found the schedule. I don’t love the 120 days they have vs. 90 days for princess and royal caribbean. Just an observation.

The short cancellations started with COVID allowing people to back out if they were uncomfortable. With the end of COVID and ships sailing full every week, locking in customers at the “normal” 120 days only make smart business sense. 

Just to add my dad has an unstable heart condition and it appears most cancellation insurance is for unforeseen medical emergencies. So it would appear princess would work best for me right now. (I’m canadian and i feel like americans have better insurance. I look forward to trying norwegian at a better time.

8 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks, princess is 90 days and i thought royal caribbean as well. Its definitely a plus. I’ll need to look at terms of cancellation insurance closer if i cruise norwegian.

It's smart to have travel insurance for reasons other than cancellation.  They cover so much more.  The most important part of travel insurance for us is the medical coverage.  We have an annual policy, which was not a whole lot more than coverage for one individual trip.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

It's smart to have travel insurance for reasons other than cancellation.  They cover so much more.  The most important part of travel insurance for us is the medical coverage.  We have an annual policy, which was not a whole lot more than coverage for one individual trip.

I agree.  120 day vs. 90 day final payment isn't much of a factor.  We buy third party insurance at final payment and it covers us for cancellations due to medical reasons (as well as the much more important medical emergency and medivac).  If we can't pass the 60 day pre-existing lookback, we cancel the cruise if it looks like there may be some issues.  We should probably look into an annual policy "one of these days." 🤣

21 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Just to add my dad has an unstable heart condition and it appears most cancellation insurance is for unforeseen medical emergencies. So it would appear princess would work best for me right now. (I’m canadian and i feel like americans have better insurance. I look forward to trying norwegian at a better time.

Or, you could just buy NCL's house insurance that provides FCC for cancel for any reason.