Overnight in Nawiliwili port - questions

storkington

Hi all,

We are getting into Nawiliwili on 13 Oct 2024 at 8am and don't leave until 14 Oct 2024 at 5pm. We are considering a hire car for the duration of our stay. The plan is to drive to see the Waimea Canyon and perhaps a little further up that road (and take in anything in between) and then back to Eleele for a sunset cruise to the Na Pali coast, then return to the cruise port. The following day we plan to drive the east side of the island, as far as Tunnels Beach, and again stop at various points on the way. We don't plan on doing any hikes, just want to utilise the different look outs, and take in a beach or two for snorkeling/swimming. Couple of questions:

1. Does the above sound doable, or are we taking on too much for the time we have?

2. Is there anywhere near the cruise port where we can park the hire car overnight?

Any comments/ideas are greatly appreciated, as this is our first time visiting Hawaii.

Thank you!

I think your plan is doable the first day, does the sunset cruise start about 5pm? Docking at 8 am and given time to rent the car, that would be plenty of time to go to Waimea Canyon and make stops along the way and back to Eleele, the next day is doable but need to make sure you head back to Lihue in plenty of time, I would say with a couple hours to spare, traffic can be terrible in Kappa area. You would need to get an early start go as far as you want to go and work your way back ( at least that is what I would do). Keep in mind tunnels has very limited parking, being there early with good luck will get a spot. But there are other beaches in the area, or beach stops along the way that are nice too. There is overnight paid parking  right in the port, at the shopping center there, but I have never used it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gkeep said:

I think your plan is doable the first day, does the sunset cruise start about 5pm? Docking at 8 am and given time to rent the car, that would be plenty of time to go to Waimea Canyon and make stops along the way and back to Eleele, the next day is doable but need to make sure you head back to Lihue in plenty of time, I would say with a couple hours to spare, traffic can be terrible in Kappa area. You would need to get an early start go as far as you want to go and work your way back ( at least that is what I would do). Keep in mind tunnels has very limited parking, being there early with good luck will get a spot. But there are other beaches in the area, or beach stops along the way that are nice too. There is overnight paid parking  right in the port, at the shopping center there, but I have never used it. 

Thank you! Yes, I think the sunset cruise is around 5pm, so it should all work out with times etc. Thank you also for the overnight parking info - very helpful!

We visited the canyon and had time to do a 2pm Napali Coast cruise, but we didn't make additional spots either. 5 pm will be more than doable. We found street parking when we got back but it was already looking somewhat full. Ymmv 3 hours later. 

• Like 1