The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday, December 27th, 2023

kazu

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, good wishes for a successful surgery Friday,  and a speedy recovery.  Just one question, if your and Tina @0106 coordinate and do a cruise together, who will look after us and provide the recipes.  You two wouldn't let us starve would you? 😉

Lenda

That is an interesting question.  No, we wouldn't let you starve, but what if we decided to bring Eva @superoma with us?  LOL

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

For the Messy Cooks Brigade: at least you ended up with something to show for it, such as cookies or a cake. This afternoon, as I was getting ready to prep Brussels sprouts and carrots for roasting, I knocked over a container of sunflower seeds. All I have to show is about 6 ounces of them now in the vacuum cleaner.

I second what Lenda said.  I did get a laugh out of it.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

I am prepared for the Drake passage with Sea-bands, ginger and MotionEaze (thanks for the tip Jacqui).  I do not like to take pharmaceuticals and definitely do not want be tired which is their primary side effect.  I have never been seasick (knock wood) but am prepared just in case.  Does anyone else have any comments/advice about sailing through the Drake passage?

If it is rough (it isn’t always) - and assuming the decks (or balconies) aren’t closed - breathe some fresh air.  It can make a difference.  Also, along with the Motion Ease, the ship has very good aids that are free - green apples and saltines/crackers.  DD DH scoffed at green apples for years and I finally got him to eat one on one of last cruises together when he was suffering.  He was amazed how much better he felt very quickly.  Green apples can really help.  If you do not usually suffer from Mal de Mer (like me) I suspect you will be fine.  Sea bands really help with the equilibrium  & ginger & Motion Ease are great natural remedies.  No sleepiness and no restrictions on libations 😉 

And assuming it’s safe, don’t stay in your cabin.  Walk around and go centre ship and outside for air if possible.  Staying in your cabin can make you focus on the motion and you may feel it more IMO.  YMMV

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the anniversary wishes. Being so soon after Christmas, we've usually just wished each other a happy day. One year though, DH decided we should go to Seattle for dinner and a movie. Only problem was I was working at a temporary job-3 am to 11 am 7 days a week so you can guess what happened 2 minutes after the lights went down for the movie. 

Love all 3 days-friend gave me a loaf she made. It was really good and I asked if she'd share the recipe. It's Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake. It's moister than most and just really good! We were at the zoo when we were in Sydney in February and made snowflakes a couple of years ago with DGSs.

@dfish, positive thoughts for surgery and don't overdo too soon.

• Like 14

@kazu I always appreciate your wisdom. ( That’s why I bought the MotionEaze.) I may have told you this story on the TA but for the rest of you…DH and I had a reservation at Canaletto.  The seas were high but we were fine.  We entered the restaurant and were greeted by the hostess, “How are you this evening.”  “Fine, thank you, how are you?”  She hesitated, “Not perfect, the high seas.”  I said, “Have you ever tried sea bands..they work for my Mom”. She responded, “I know this sounds silly, working on a ship, I always get sea sick.  I use them, I just came back onboard, I left them at home.” I told her I would run down to my cabin and get her my unopened package.  “No, no” she said.  But that didn’t stop me, I got her the sea bands.  By the time we finished our dinner, she was feeling better. For the remainder of the cruise, whenever she saw me, she bowed to me.  🙏 I did nothing more than those who read the Daily would have done.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, kazu said:

And assuming it’s safe, don’t stay in your cabin.  Walk around and go centre ship and outside for air if possible.  Staying in your cabin can make you focus on the motion and you may feel it more IMO.  YMMV

I've read that the queasiness comes from the mismatch between what the eye sees and what the inner ear feels. If that's so, even looking out a window, if it's not possible to go on deck, might help, because the eye will be seeing what the ear feels.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good evening to all.

I am late to the party again.  

Today i had to drive Jim to the Podiatrist and then we needed to make two stops, first for gas and then at Publix.

By that time I was tired.

I am still not sleeping well and when I finally get to sleep, I wake up with a lot of pain in my shoulders, arms, hips and thighs.   

I did send a message to the Doc but have not yet received a reply.  Maybe tomorrow.

Hope every one had a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@dfish, positive thoughts for surgery and don't overdo too soon.

Thank you!   I plan to milk this for everything I can.  Sister Sue already knows she is doing the heavy lifting.

@Cruzin Terri What a shame that the doctor has not responded.  It is possible that he is off between the holidays.  I hope you hear something soon.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, dfish said:

That is an interesting question.  No, we wouldn't let you starve, but what if we decided to bring Eva @superoma with us?  LOL

I second what Lenda said.  I did get a laugh out of it.

That could be fun! With a little prep and an internet connection we could do it from the ship!

• Like 10

Just now, superoma said:

That could be fun! With a little prep and an internet connection we could do it from the ship!

Maybe you could get the chef to share his recipes.

Just now, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening to all.

I am late to the party again.  

Today i had to drive Jim to the Podiatrist and then we needed to make two stops, first for gas and then at Publix.

By that time I was tired.

I am still not sleeping well and when I finally get to sleep, I wake up with a lot of pain in my shoulders, arms, hips and thighs.   

I did send a message to the Doc but have not yet received a reply.  Maybe tomorrow.

Hope every one had a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm sorry you are still in pain and have not heard from the doctor.  Surely there is someone covering for him of he's off duty.  I hope you hear something tomorrow.  Or use his recipes from the cooking shows.

@0106  About the only time the motion of the ocean bothers me, is the first rough day when I'm trying to read.  I take two meclizine and I'm fine.

Lenda

• Like 7