Canada/New England: need opinions on RT vs One way

cajun-crazy

Looking at September 2024.  I have previously sailed Breakaway and Sun and realize the Gem & Jade are inbetween these two classes.

A one-way from either NY or Boston to Quebec City presents more travel and a few more days, but I wonder if it is worth the extra effort to see.  And, if so, would you prefer to arrive or depart from Quebec City? We really aren't into museums or historical tours, preferring to wander and soak up the atmosphere of shops/eateries and quaint villages/harbors.

I can also choose RT from NY on Breakaway or RT from Boston on Jade. This will

I do realize opinions are subjective - but I'll respect yours!

This is our first time doing the Canada/New England itinerary.  Also realize we won't see any fall foliage.

a) Thoughts on one way vs RT (Joy and Gem offer one way)

b) If RT, thoughts on departure from NY (Breakaway) or Boston (Jade)

The big challenge with Quebec City is that the airport there isn't huge and doesn't have a lot of flights.  Your best success for flights will be through Montreal, which is a bit of a ride away (either by train or by bus).  That needs to be factored in to your decision.  This is by no means a statement meant to deter you from embarking or disembarking in that port, just making you aware.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

My mom and I did a round trip from Boston at the end of Sept 2019.  Our itinerary included Portland & Bar Harbor in Maine and Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.  While we enjoyed it immensely, I would have really liked to see more of Canada. I chose the cruise we were on because I knew my mom wanted to see Bar Harbor again.

When I was researching whether to do a one way or round trip in Alaska, I found that the port stops were longer on the one way. Maybe the same would be true on a Canadian cruise? If that is the case, I'd go the one way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

. . . , just making you aware.

I did realize that.  It would add another night, possibly two.  I wondered if the one way was that much more scenic.

I kind of compare it to doing a RT Alaskan cruise from Seattle, or a one-way to Seward/Whittier.  I've done both.  But I do agree the ease of travel will be a big factor.

3 hours ago, cajun-crazy said:

Looking at September 2024.  I have previously sailed Breakaway and Sun and realize the Gem & Jade are inbetween these two classes.

A one-way from either NY or Boston to Quebec City presents more travel and a few more days, but I wonder if it is worth the extra effort to see.  And, if so, would you prefer to arrive or depart from Quebec City? We really aren't into museums or historical tours, preferring to wander and soak up the atmosphere of shops/eateries and quaint villages/harbors.

This is our first time doing the Canada/New England itinerary.  Also realize we won't see any fall foliage.

It is all about the itinerary. We have always liked the northbound to Quebec. sailing down the St Lawrence. 

We’re not a big fan of the RT to Halifax.

We are not a big fan of the cruises that start in Quebec and over night there on the first night. 

Jade, Gem, Sun are all about the same size ship. Technically, different classes, but about the same. Breakaway is obviously twice the size. We like the bigger ships. 

While a consideration, flight home are less important to us. We normally fly from Quebec and take a hop or two to get home. If we need to plan an extra day on the way home, we could. We would never not sail to a cruise port because we can’t get a nonstop flight home. Or even spend an extra night (like flying home from Anchorage after an Alaskan cruise) 

• Like 1

@BirdTravels Have you done a review of a Canada/New England Cruise?  I did see the Breakaway to Bermuda review.

Thank you for the Northbound/Southbound opinion.  If sailing from NY, northbound - we would get to see NY departure, plus sailing down the St Lawrence.  (If I am correct with that).  That would be the Joy.

We were on the Dawn back in 2016 and since they did different ports NB and SB we opted to do a B2B and return to the port we started from which was Boston. We also had to add a year to our plans because we only budgeted for a 7 day one way. In the end we were glad we did the entire 14 day cruise. Now NCL does the same ports up and back so it is less of a reason to go RT. That said there are some ports worth visiting twice like Halifax

• Like 1

My family did something a little different. We chose a Princess cruise that started in Quebec and ended in New York. We flew in early and spent a couple of nights at the Frontenac and had some AMAZING food in the city. When the ship eventually docked in Boston we did a short tour, went back onboard and got our luggage, and then disembarked! A car was waiting to pick us up and we were home in less than an hour! It made way more sense than doing a day at sea, disembarking in NY, and then having to fly or drive for hours to get home. We live an hour west of Boston so our plan was perfect for us!

7 hours ago, WorldTourPrincess said:

When the ship eventually docked in Boston we did a short tour, went back onboard and got our luggage, and then disembarked

Was the ship aware?  Typically this is not allowed due to logistics of going through customs and needing the agents there to do that.  Immigration was cleared at the first US port, but customs would still have been needed.

My parents did the opposite direction on Princess.  I drove them to the port in Brooklyn, then after the cruise they took a train from QC to Montreal and then down the Adirondack line for me to pick them up in Saratoga.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Was the ship aware?  Typically this is not allowed due to logistics of going through customs and needing the agents there to do that.  Immigration was cleared at the first US port, but customs would still have been needed.

Yes, we called Princess after we booked and asked if this was something we could do. They okayed it. A few others did it as well.

Quebec City ( Old town) is very unique.  Feels like you are in France.  French is spoken everywhere     ( so learn how to say in French...Do you speak English).  Strolling along the streets in Old Town is just great.  The harbor walk is very pretty as well.  BUT...Boston is amazing.  You dont have to be a historical buff to enjoy Boston.  Some of the oldest restaurants in the USA are in Boston.  There is a marked walking trail on the sidewalks that will take you to most of the truly historical places where our country began.  If you have a good imagination, you can just think that you are walking on the very same ground that Benjamin Franklin walked, George Washington or a myriad of other historical figures.  Out off all of the Canadian stops, IMO , Halifax is the best.  Talk a bout a foodie destination.  New Brunswick is just boring ( and Lobster rolls are VERY expensive).

On 12/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, cajun-crazy said:

We have done both itineraries and enjoyed them both.  In fact, we have done the week long trip from Boston to Halifax and back as well as one way NYC to Quebec, followed by a B2B cruise Quebec to NYC.  The only downside of that itinerary is that you repeat several of the same ports on the southbound journey that you just visited on the northbound trip.  Not all the ports are same, there is some variety, but there is a lot of repetition as well.  On another occasion when we traveled just one way from NYC to Quebec, we chose to extend our stay a couple of additional days in Quebec, then take the train to Montreal for a few days there.  The trains are fast, efficient, and relatively inexpensive.  Also, the rail stations are right in the heart of the cities, so getting from our hotel to the train was easy.  Flights out of Montreal are plentiful and the airport is easy to reach by shuttle or taxi from a downtown hotel.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, cajun-crazy said:

I have the Joy booked for the B2B the first two weeks of September.  The logistics from Quebec City were definitely a factor, but in the end I simply don't like the typical 7 day cruise, so booking the B2B was kind of a no brainer for me.  I took the repeat ports into consideration as well.  I figure if the port is a dud - spa day on the 2nd go round and if it's awesome I am enriched with additional experiences.  

• Like 1

We were on the Joy last September QC to NY, it was a great cruise.   If you have not been to QC that should be a don't miss port for you.   We stayed 2 nights pre cruise in QC.   Our 2nd favorite port was Saguenay, particularly the national park there.   Saguenay is a deep fjord ...perfect for cruising into.    Our ship didn't stop in Maine or Boston, but of course those are great places too.... will likely do land based vacation to Maine soon.  

Have fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

I have the Joy booked for the B2B the first two weeks of September.  The logistics from Quebec City were definitely a factor, but in the end I simply don't like the typical 7 day cruise, so booking the B2B was kind of a no brainer for me.  I took the repeat ports into consideration as well.  I figure if the port is a dud - spa day on the 2nd go round and if it's awesome I am enriched with additional experiences.  

Charlottetown and Saguenay may prove to be "one and done" ports, but Sydney offers some variety.  I would recommend the Fortress of Louisbourg on one stop and the Sydney walking tour on the other.  We have done them both and found them quite interesting.

• Thanks 1

We enjoyed doing b2b from Baltimore to Quebec and back last September on Sky.  The biggest problems were lousy wifi and a hurricane which caused missing 3 ports on the way back.  Halifax is worth two stops as is Sidney.  These cruises are offered again this year, total of 20 days sailing.  We did not depart until 8 PM on the turn around day, so we had a lot of time in Quebec, loved the old city.