Thermal Spa Price Increase

jaxdog315

I was just looking at the Spa + Beauty options for my January 15, 2024 sailing on the MSC Meraviglia 11 night cruise.  MSC just raised the Thermal Area Cruise Pass from $195 to a whopping $303.  I wonder if the cause of this increase is related to the amount of passes already sold?  So as to limit the amount of people buying cruise passes because they are already at capacity, or that this is a permanent price increase.  If so, the daily rate for an 11 day pass just went from $17 to $27 pre cruise purchase.  Wow.  I'm so glad I already purchased the Thermal Pass for $195.  Two items have had significant price increase since I booked this cruise my 3 specialty dining package price went from $71 to $110 and I'm able to still pick my own restaurants or it I have to follow the new guidelines where MSC picks them for the dining packages as they do now.  Of course they added Hola Taco to the 3 package price 😞  I wanted to go there ala carte since all you can eat is $17.99 or maybe they raised that price as well?  Oh I forgot that the upgrade to Premium drink to Easy Plus was available at $222 but now that option has just disappeared from the beverage section.

I don't think that they (are smart enough to) look at spa capacity in relation to passes sold (plus YC members plus Aurea plus Diamond members sailing...)  It's likely just a price increase as it gets really crowded in the thermal areas at times.

On the dining package you SHOULD be able to use as the wording stated when you booked.  Make sure that you have a copy of the language otherwise the default will be the new program.  (In either case I think you can only go to Butcher's Cut once.)

• Thanks 1

Looking at our February 11 Divina sailing, the Thermal Area Couple Cruise Pass -- 11 Day is $341 per adult; the single pass is $227 per day. 

The 2 Specialty Dining Experiences is still showing $70 per person which is what it has been since we booked this cruise. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Looking at our February 11 Divina sailing, the Thermal Area Couple Cruise Pass -- 11 Day is $341 per adult; the single pass is $227 per day.

Could you re-check that?  I find it hard to believe:  A couple's pass for 11 days is $341 each, or $31 per person/per day, and a one-night stand is $227 per person/per day!

Edited by JAGR

52 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Could you re-check that?  I find it hard to believe:  A couple's pass for 11 days is $341 each, or $31 per person/per day, and a one-night stand is $227 per person/per day!

The single was for the 11-day cruise not one night. 

image.png.c77eed7a1f0408d4f609fe047e79091d.png

image.png.13c944e44e746e53826e10b1ce413d53.png

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The single was for the 11-day cruise not one night. 

image.png.c77eed7a1f0408d4f609fe047e79091d.png

image.png.13c944e44e746e53826e10b1ce413d53.png

Thanks!  That was my point!  You originally said, "

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Looking at our February 11 Divina sailing, the Thermal Area Couple Cruise Pass -- 11 Day is $341 per adult; the single pass is $227 per day. (My emphasis!)

• Thanks 1

If anyone is considering a spa pass on Divina, I would seriously consider it unless you really like a sauna or steam room that is not co-ed.  I loved the spa on Seaview, but Divina was disappointing, although I was aware ahead of time and it came as a perk of YC.  I wouldn't pay extra though.

1 hour ago, mnpurple said:

If anyone is considering a spa pass on Divina, I would seriously consider it unless you really like a sauna or steam room that is not co-ed.  I loved the spa on Seaview, but Divina was disappointing, although I was aware ahead of time and it came as a perk of YC.  I wouldn't pay extra though.

We are sailing on Divina in February in YC and I am curious why you found the Spa disappointing?  Care to share the details? 

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We are sailing on Divina in February in YC and I am curious why you found the Spa disappointing?  Care to share the details? 

Our first MSC cruise was on Seaview and that spa had a thermal pool, heated loungers, salt room, wet and dry steam, two saunas, an outdoor whirlpool, etc.  Divina only has gender specific sauna and steam room, so if you are traveling with someone of the opposite sex, you can't spend time together. There is only a small lounging area and they are not heated.  We only went once on an 11-day cruise.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Forkboy2 said:

Can anyone explain why the couple cruise pass is $198.50/adult but the singles cruise pass is $131/adult?  Something doesn't seem right about this.

2024-01-12 21_52_09-msccruisesusa.com_my-msc_plan-my-cruise#_Wellness and 1 more page - Personal - M.png

I would guess it’s a way to maximize revenue and get people to spend more. It’s like a Buy One Get One 50% Off Sale that retail stores use. Maybe two people are traveling together and only one is really interested in the thermal spa, but when they see it’s only 50% more for both to get the package, they decide it’s worth it. They feel like they got a deal and MSC gets more money.

But if you are traveling solo, it feels like you are getting cheated. MSC appears to be discouraging, or at least penalizing, solo cruisers now compared to the last couple of years. They limit the number of solo bookings on most cruises, have increased the solo supplement from 0-20% a year ago to 50-70% now in many cases and now are charging a premium for solo thermal spa packages.

Edited by JT1962

Unfortunately, while the cruise lines, in most cases want the solo cruisers, they also want them to pay exhorbetant prices for everything. The claim is that solos don't spend as much as couples on board, and this makes up for it. Rubbish, it's just a money grab because they can.

Maybe I'm not understanding something.  If my wife and I both want the spa package, why would we pay the couples rate of $198.50 each adult ($397 total for the two of us) vs the singles rate of $131 each adult ($262 for the two of us)?

At first I thought maybe a typo and it is supposed to be $198.50 per couple.  But I tried adding the package and it tried to charge $397 for the two of us.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Forkboy2 said:

Maybe I'm not understanding something.  If my wife and I both want the spa package, why would we pay the couples rate of $198.50 each adult ($397 total for the two of us) vs the singles rate of $131 each adult ($262 for the two of us)?

At first I thought maybe a typo and it is supposed to be $198.50 per couple.  But I tried adding the package and it tried to charge $397 for the two of us.

Are you entering 1 or 2 as the quantity? You would only need to enter 1 as the number if couples packages to cover both of you. If both of your names are options when purchasing, just choose one name, but it should cover 2 people. 

Edited by JT1962

11 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Are you entering 1 or 2 as the quantity? You would only need to enter 1 as the number if couples packages to cover both of you. If both of your names are options when purchasing, just choose one name, but it should cover 2 people. 

That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't say that anywhere on the website. In fact, it literally says "$198.50 per adult". I don't want to book one, show up and have them tell me the reservation is only good for one of us.

2024-01-14 02_20_35-msccruisesusa.com_my-msc_plan-my-cruise#_Wellness and 3 more pages - Personal - .jpg

On 12/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, mnpurple said:

Our first MSC cruise was on Seaview and that spa had a thermal pool, heated loungers, salt room, wet and dry steam, two saunas, an outdoor whirlpool, etc.  Divina only has gender specific sauna and steam room, so if you are traveling with someone of the opposite sex, you can't spend time together. There is only a small lounging area and they are not heated.  We only went once on an 11-day cruise.

Agree. We were on Seaside and it was similar to what you describe for Seaview. We considered Divina to be a "non-event" even for a freebie. We never went on our last 17-day cruise on Divina.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:00 PM, jaxdog315 said:

I was just looking at the Spa + Beauty options for my January 15, 2024 sailing on the MSC Meraviglia 11 night cruise.  MSC just raised the Thermal Area Cruise Pass from $195 to a whopping $303.  I wonder if the cause of this increase is related to the amount of passes already sold?  So as to limit the amount of people buying cruise passes because they are already at capacity, or that this is a permanent price increase.  If so, the daily rate for an 11 day pass just went from $17 to $27 pre cruise purchase.  Wow.  I'm so glad I already purchased the Thermal Pass for $195.  Two items have had significant price increase since I booked this cruise my 3 specialty dining package price went from $71 to $110 and I'm able to still pick my own restaurants or it I have to follow the new guidelines where MSC picks them for the dining packages as they do now.  Of course they added Hola Taco to the 3 package price 😞  I wanted to go there ala carte since all you can eat is $17.99 or maybe they raised that price as well?  Oh I forgot that the upgrade to Premium drink to Easy Plus was available at $222 but now that option has just disappeared from the beverage section.

Regarding your issue with the apparently unbookable drinks package upgrade, it is indeed possible to do it. However, MSC is honouring once again its tradition of inconsistencies along their already convoluted reservation process and the upgrades are to be found not under the drinks section as anybody would expect to, but under the "others" section, alongside with items such as fun pass, laundry o internet. Makes sense, right? 😂 Not sure if it is the same for all country-specific MSC websites, but it sure is like this for the Spanish website which is the one my May reservation on the Meraviglia is linked to. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever find out about the couples spa pass? I called MSC and she said they have the IT team working on it. Said to try again. In 48 hours. 

I would think it should be just pick one name and it's for 2 people.