Specialty Dining Confirmation Problem

MarkieMarkNYC

Hello,

I am booked on a 14-day TA this spring and purchased a package of 4 specialty dining nights that are in addition to the two nights that were included in the promo at booking.

I just booked those dinners and subsequently received a dining confirmation email that lists the first four dinners as included but specifies that the last two nights are a la carte. I called NCL and asked if they would send a revised confirmation with all dinners listed as included but the agent (who spoke with his supervisor) said that this is a "glitch" and that I won't be charged for the last two dinners.

I'm frustrated that they can't send an accurate confirmation and assume I will have to deal with this at Guest Services once on board.

Has anyone else reading this had this experience?

The first time this happened to me I was all sorts of confused. It was also the first time I had sailed NCL. You're fine. The hostess will ask if you would like to use your dining plan. The server will confirm. And likely, the server will confirm again. Just let them know you're using the dining plan and they'll take care of you. 

@MarkieMarkNYC Enjoy your upcoming TA ... as long as you purchased the extra specialty dining and/or have them otherwise listed on your Amenity Confirmation/Booking Summary, it's all good ... as the host/ess on duty at the restaurants will scan your card (or check your "voucher" status i.e. Platinum) to confirm what is available & what you plan to use - the waiter will ask for a keycard for the cabin to swipe at the end of that dinner, charges should be zeroed out (unless you agreed to & order any extra or upcharged items)

I did noticed in fine prints/disclosures on our recent Prima FSD (dailies) that special reservations booked but not cancelled 24 hours prior, are subject to penalties for no-shows, especially if it's soething like Teppanyaki/Hauski - with the majority of SD nowadays being a la carte if not on a package or comp'd.  Just something to be aware of, it used to be the case and then it was dropped, more or less quietly, but this does free up reservations booked with no-shows preventing others from booking last minute or onboard ... standby and/or walk-up asking to be seated aren't always "practical", especially for a larger group.  

3 hours ago, MarkieMarkNYC said:

Hello,

I am booked on a 14-day TA this spring and purchased a package of 4 specialty dining nights that are in addition to the two nights that were included in the promo at booking.

I just booked those dinners and subsequently received a dining confirmation email that lists the first four dinners as included but specifies that the last two nights are a la carte. I called NCL and asked if they would send a revised confirmation with all dinners listed as included but the agent (who spoke with his supervisor) said that this is a "glitch" and that I won't be charged for the last two dinners.

I'm frustrated that they can't send an accurate confirmation and assume I will have to deal with this at Guest Services once on board.

Has anyone else reading this had this experience?

No problem at all. 

In fact, you don’t decide how you are paying until you are at the restaurant. Many have the Free at Sea dinners, vouchers for free meals from NCL, free meals from other sources, and the option to room charge a meal. At time of service, you tell the hostess how you intend to pay for the meal. 

2 hours ago, MarkieMarkNYC said:

Wonderful!

Thank you all for your responses and encouragement!

Everyone posting here says no worries.

I have no argument against that.

However, being a not always entirely trusting soul, I suggest you bring documentary proof that you ordered and paid for the the additional package. It never hurts to be cautious.

10 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Everyone posting here says no worries.

I have no argument against that.

However, being a not always entirely trusting soul, I suggest you bring documentary proof that you ordered and paid for the the additional package. It never hurts to be cautious.

It would be printed on your room key. You would see the 2 FAS SDP and the 4 SDP along with your beverage package printed on your key. 

You do not need to carry a portfolio of paper around to every meal. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

It would be printed on your room key. 

Are you saying that the key shows how many meals you are entitled to?

If true, if an error did occur, receiving your key is a bit late if that security "proof" I suggested is not available.

Call it belt and suspenders.

I am actually having a similar problem.  15 day TA cruise in April.  I ordered several meals packages since we will have so many sea days.

My Vacation Summary shows

Specialty Dining Package
Dining Package - Promo
QTY:

Specialty Dining Upgrade
Upgrade your Free at Sea Dining package by adding two extra meals for only $69 USD plus gratuity – a 30% discount off the two meal package retail price.
QTY:

Specialty Dining Upgrade

Upgrade your Free at Sea Dining package by adding two extra meals for only $69 USD plus gratuity – a 30% discount off the two meal package retail price.
  • QTY:1
Which I thought meant I had 8 meals lined up.  In addition to my Platinum status 2 meals, I thought that covered most of the cruise.

I called NCL to make a final payment last night, and was told "No, that's only 5 meals."  I tried to confirm with them, but the told me they only saw 5 meals ordered, they were 100% confident.

I called today to confirm, and was told "That's 4 meals, guarantee, I can clearly see you have 4 meals".

So I don't even know what is going on!

I have sailed so many times, this should not be confusing for me, and yet it is.  I guess I have a case of the stupids.

This is my most recent Booking confirmation codes.

PROMO CODES: AIRPROM3
DINMEAL
DISC50
EASYFARE
FASUDP
HSDISXIN
LATITUDE
LATREW*
SHX50

And my add ons in the confirmation email.

1 x Shore Excursion Discount
2 x FAS Dining Package Upgrade – 2 meals
2 x 3 Meal Speciality Dining Package
2 x Internet Package (300 Minutes)

Can any old hats on there tell me where the confusion is?  I don't trust NCL customer service.

Thanks in advance.

58 minutes ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

I am actually having a similar problem.  15 day TA cruise in April.  I ordered several meals packages since we will have so many sea days.

Specialty Dining Package
Dining Package - Promo
QTY:

Specialty Dining Upgrade
QTY:

Specialty Dining Upgrade

Which I thought meant I had 8 meals lined up.  In addition to my Platinum status 2 meals, I thought that covered most of the cruise.

I called NCL to make a final payment last night, and was told "No, that's only 5 meals."  I tried to confirm with them, but the told me they only saw 5 meals ordered, they were 100% confident.

I called today to confirm, and was told "That's 4 meals, guarantee, I can clearly see you have 4 meals".

I have sailed so many times, this should not be confusing for me, and yet it is.  I guess I have a case of the stupids.

DINMEAL
DISC50
EASYFARE
FASUDP
HSDISXIN
LATITUDE
LATREW*
SHX50

Can any old hats on there tell me where the confusion is?  I don't trust NCL customer service.

Thanks in advance.

I thought that you could only upgrade the free at sea package once, which would give you the original three plus two more. In theory there should be no problem with then adding non discounted dining packages to that, but I have heard of people having trouble when trying to add extra packages (never tried it myself).

When upgrading the free at sea packages you should have been charged, so you should be able to see how many you have added from your credit card statements.

From the confirmation email details it looks as though you have the original three plus the extra two from the upgrade, which would be my expectation. Just make sure that you haven't been charged for any extras.

The latitudes meals never show up here, so I wouldn't expect to see them yet.

I think you have 7 meals:

3 original free at sea

2 free at sea upgrade

2 latitudes.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I thought that you could only upgrade the free at sea package once, which would give you the original three plus two more. In theory there should be no problem with then adding non discounted dining packages to that, but I have heard of people having trouble when trying to add extra packages (never tried it myself).

When upgrading the free at sea packages you should have been charged, so you should be able to see how many you have added from your credit card statements.

From the confirmation email details it looks as though you have the original three plus the extra two from the upgrade, which would be my expectation. Just make sure that you haven't been charged for any extras.

The latitudes meals never show up here, so I wouldn't expect to see them yet.

I think you have 7 meals:

3 original free at sea

2 free at sea upgrade

2 latitudes.

Keith, there's on flaw in your review.

Looking at the OP's summary, you can clearly see 4 meals - which agrees with the comment from NCL.

What's not shown (and should be) with the addons is the original FAS 3 meals.

I don't know if the Platinum meals are supposed to show with the addons or not, but they don't seem to be listed.

Lastly, the purchases shown are for Specialty Dining Upgrade X 2 plus another Specialty Dining Upgrade X 1 - which tallies to the 3 Specialty Dining package listed with addons. Of course, that means using the upgrade twice (apparently ordering for only 1 passenger on the second) which you think is not allowed.

Worst case scenario, the summary shows 5 meals each for 2 people; so, NCL saying I see you have only 4 is utter nonsense.

All in all, this is quite a mess.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, the comp'd Latitudes meal ("coupon") never shows up on any of our previous or upcoming Guest Confirmation & Amenity Statements - specifically for @LongIsland-Cruiser - the code "LATREW* (for being Platinum) meant they will ... "should" have the "correct" Platinum Welcome mini booklet with the micro-coupons for the 2 free specialty dinner and 1 including the bottle of wine.  Assuming you got charged correctly for the other 5 nights of SD, your total is (should) be 7 nights ... check your credit card charges ... I believe it should be reflected in the payment section under your "MyNCL" account for that sailing. 

If there is a mix-up, between CruiseNext and Guest Services onboard, have your "proof" saved digitally as PDF should suffice, and they can get it resolved & fixed.  Sailing on the Prima TA, 15 days next April ... if you wish to book Hauski (Tappenyaki) - make sure you book that first so you won't get "charged" or need to pay anything on top now ... all the other venues aren't price fixd, rather a la carte.   Make your reservations ahead and you should be fine ... do remember to cancel any SD booked now, as last month onboard the Prima - a small disclosure/fine print in the FSD noted that failure to cancel at least 24 hours prior, can result in a no-show charge.  Not sure if that's new/specific only to the Prima, might not be true for other NCL ships (new for 2024 ??) - FWIW about the cancellation fee, which was in place a few years ago.  

Anyway, you should be able to book SD after midnight (120 days) ~ in a few hours as up to 30% of the slots opened up (another change, apparently ... rumor floating out there of (2024 changes ??) MDR dinner reservations no longer taken for parties of 4 or less - UNCONFIRMED yet - TBA.  We booked our 5 nights of SD at 125 days out, everything else being "too early to book" - taking a wait-n-see for "surprises" ahead.  

NCL's call center agents are often reading off their scripted replies and what's on their screen, not all of them are knowledgeable and/or sail NCL on a regular or routine basis.  You should be able to book 7 nights of SD without any issues on ships like the Prima, online yourself - if not, do a live chat with support agent and/or call into them during their operating hours.  Good luck.  

Slightly off-topic:  on that TA ?? been "lurking" the roll call, which is very unorganized, an online spreadsheet that hasn't been updated, another CC'er taking names & doing her private spreadsheet, and up to 3 CC'er already competing and contacting NCL to set up the Meet & Greet/Mingle months ago ... not in a spirit of cooperation.  No idea who's planning what and not much in terms of transparencies ... and God forbid, if this get co-mingled with the private groups on the other social media platform again.  This was a problem on the recent Prime repo cruise and I have no desire to get caught in the mess again.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Keith, there's on flaw in your review.

Looking at the OP's summary, you can clearly see 4 meals - which agrees with the comment from NCL.

What's not shown (and should be) with the addons is the original FAS 3 meals.

I don't know if the Platinum meals are supposed to show with the addons or not, but they don't seem to be listed.

Lastly, the purchases shown are for Specialty Dining Upgrade X 2 plus another Specialty Dining Upgrade X 1 - which tallies to the 3 Specialty Dining package listed with addons. Of course, that means using the upgrade twice (apparently ordering for only 1 passenger on the second) which you think is not allowed.

Worst case scenario, the summary shows 5 meals each for 2 people; so, NCL saying I see you have only 4 is utter nonsense.

All in all, this is quite a mess.

The original 3 meals are shown, as the top item. When it says Qty 2 that meals that two people have them not that there are two meals (ie it is qty 2 x 3 meals).

The latitudes meals never show up, as previously discussed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The original 3 meals are shown, as the top item. When it says Qty 2 that meals that two people have them not that there are two meals (ie it is qty 2 x 3 meals).

The latitudes meals never show up, as previously discussed.

I know that (first part).

Okay then, I agree - looks like a solid 7 meals.

13 hours ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

Specialty Dining Package
Dining Package - Promo
QTY:

Specialty Dining Upgrade
QTY:

Specialty Dining Upgrade

DINMEAL
DISC50
EASYFARE
FASUDP
HSDISXIN
LATITUDE
LATREW*
SHX50

Thanks in advance.

If you are in a balcony or above, you get 3 free at sea meals + the 2 upgrade + 3 purchased meals. That’s 8 meals. 

if you are in a studio, inside or ocean view, you get 2 free at sea meals + the 2 upgrade + 3 purchased meals. That’s 7 meals. 

All that being said, you should never take the upgrade AND buy additional meals. You end up paying more. 

Free at Sea Upgrade $69

3 purchased meals $139 

Your Total $208

No upgrade

5 purchased meals $199

Better Total $199

$10.80 per person more (after adding tip). 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you are in a balcony or above, you get 3 free at sea meals + the 2 upgrade + 3 purchased meals. That’s 8 meals. 

if you are in a studio, inside or ocean view, you get 2 free at sea meals + the 2 upgrade + 3 purchased meals. That’s 7 meals. 

All that being said, you should never take the upgrade AND buy additional meals. You end up paying more. 

Free at Sea Upgrade $69

3 purchased meals $139 

Your Total $208

No upgrade

5 purchased meals $199

Better Total $199

$10.80 per person more (after adding tip). 

8 - that's what LongIsland-Cruiser thought he purchased.

That summary list he posted shows, it seems, only 7.

Could the issue be that he tried to buy the FAS upgrade twice? As Keith mentioned, he thought it could only be done once (which seems logical). And, just for fun, notice that the second one shown is for i person while every other purchase was for 2 people.

If NCL ended up rejecting that second upgrade, the purchases would agree with the confirmation. All okay as long as he didn't pay for that 2nd one.