New to Royal Caribbean but nearly platinum Carnival. How different?

We have cruised on Carnival Dream and Glory. I was sent an offer from Royal for 9 days on the Jewel of the seas for much better than 7 days for Carnival. Anyone sailed these ships and can give advice on what's different or the same. We love the Cloud 9 Spa on Dream. Thank you!

Jewel is smaller than both Dream and Glory. It’s a fairly older ship in the Royal fleet being 20 years old so it’s going to not be a great representation of what sailing on Royal is all about. For me, I’m not a fan of anything below Freedom Class for Royal. For the smaller/older class ships, I actually prefer NCL Jewel class. Also the vibe on smaller RC ships might be vastly different than what you may be used to on Carnival. 

It’s an older crowd on Jewel with entertainment targeted accordingly - just a nightly theatre show, a small cinema and the standard live musicians. No dedicated comedy club.

Far fewer casual eateries than on Carnival - there’s no equivalent to Guy’s burgers, Blue Iguana, the BBQ place or the pasta bar, although I think Royal’s buffets are better. 

If you like smaller, older, more traditional ships you’ll be fine but if you prefer bigger ships with lots going on you may find Jewel a bit dull and old-fashioned.

Edited by gumshoe958

Perks on rcl are the best. Try it and at least you got a start with rcl to compare. Mdr dinners are the same fleet wide for instance. Buffet will be similar all ships. 

Jewel has a lot of glass. Glass elevators to the outside is what I most remember. I'd go.

Thank you for the information. Anyone know anything about the spa? It's nearly half the price that  Carnival wants same week but only 7 days, so worth trying. Can we eat in MDR for lunch. When we first got married we went on Sovereign of the Seas, but that seems like forever ago, so we don't know what to expect. We pretty easy going and can make our own fun.

Edited by slavigne5577