Ideas for Perth overnight from ship

cruiselvr04

We are cruising on a B2B staying over night in Fremantle, just outside of Perth.  On turn around day we plan on seeing Fremantle since it’s close to port and we have no idea what time we’ll be able to get off the ship. The day prior we get into Fremantle at 0630.  This gives us an entire day to explore Perth or farther. Our cruise line has offered no excursions except to Swan Valley.

We really can’t decide what to do.  The DH is interested in doing an independent desert tour at night to see the stars.  This doesn’t leave until 3 p.m. or so from Perth, returning about 11:30 p.m.  It’s a 2 hr drive each way. I’m a little concerned about getting back to the ship that late at night on the train as it’d be after midnight. It’s a 30 min train trip though the ship of course remains in port. If it’s cloudy we see nothing. We don’t want to spend the night in a hotel in Perth as it’s an extra expense. 

Our other options are to go to Rottnest from Fremantle which seems easy or meeting with a independent tour group in Perth near the train station about 9:30 a.m. to do an all day food and wine tour which includes a river cruise back to Perth. Both of these are doable in our time frame too. 

Any comments from people who have done any of these things or live in the area would be helpful.

I live in Perth and would not be doing a train trip at midnight after going on a long, tedious bus drive to see the stars. I wouldn't feel safe especially as you would be tired then. 

Going to Rottnest is lovely and you can hire a bicycle, though I hired an e-bike in advance. That was fun and we had lunch at Pinky's Cafe with great fish and chips. Lots of little coves to swim. There is also a bus you can take around the island. Check out the quokkas the are often to be found near the bakery, don't feed them though. Get a selfie with a Quokka like Roger Federer and many other famous people. 

The food and wine tour could also be good and the river cruise back could be nice. Our Swan river is very wide and healthy. I live near it and when I walk the dog I often see various birds like our black swans, pelicans, ducks, Ibis etc and also fisherman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I second going to Rottnest island from Fremantle - ferry there and back, hire a bike if you want to or take the  hop on hop off bus around the island, also there is a little open sided train that goes to guided tours of the old military site, that was very interesting.

Also Fremantle prison, old convict site - very interesting tours, especially the underground tunnels one.

If you are in central Perth, (easy short train ride from Fremantle) going to the Mint and the Bell Tower are interesting - you can get a pre paid combination ticket, flexible timings,  and then you just walk from one to the other in about 15 mins.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

Any comments from people who have done any of these things or live in the area would be helpful.

Another vote for Rottnest Island. If you need any help to convince you google "quokkas"

Tell DH to go out on deck while at sea and look up if he wants to see a magnificent night sky.

Edited by yarramar
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  We will do the ferry to Rottnest. The trip out to the desert seems a little too ambitious even though we are there overnight. We will see Fremantle including the prison the next day depending upon what time the back to backers are allowed off the ship.

DH would love to see the stars from the ship.  Unfortunately there are always too many lights even at sea from the ship to see much.  One cruise we had a cruise director who was interested in astronomy.  He did talks twice on the front of the ship and the captain turned off the lights for us.  It was wonderful.