Alaska Excursions

BeachFamily1989

Are you sailing from Vancouver to Seward or Seward to Vancouver? The ports are slightly different depending on the cruise with Icy Strait Point 

I highly recommend an excursion in Seward through Major Marine Tours or Kenai Fjord Tours. They will take you up close to see glaciers and wildlife while being protected from the unpredictable weather. 

In Skagway, you can do a price comparison for the White Pass Summit excursion directly with the railroad or through NCL. You get on the train close to the cruise ship if booking through NCL.  You can book the Ghost and Good Times Girls tour independently or through NCL.   I recommend both options if you have time.  

6 hours ago, BeachFamily1989 said:

4 of us are going to Alaska on Norwegian Jewel in June and of course we want to go on some excursions. I have heard they can be cheaper if you book on your own rather than thru the ship. Can anybody give me some good advice and/or companies that you went through? Thanks

You should check the ports board.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 8:17 PM, BeachFamily1989 said:

4 of us are going to Alaska on Norwegian Jewel in June and of course we want to go on some excursions. I have heard they can be cheaper if you book on your own rather than thru the ship. Can anybody give me some good advice and/or companies that you went through? Thanks

On 12/30/2023 at 9:11 PM, Seas2mountains said:

Are you sailing from Vancouver to Seward or Seward to Vancouver? The ports are slightly different depending on the cruise with Icy Strait Point 

I highly recommend an excursion in Seward through Major Marine Tours or Kenai Fjord Tours. They will take you up close to see glaciers and wildlife while being protected from the unpredictable weather. 

In Skagway, you can do a price comparison for the White Pass Summit excursion directly with the railroad or through NCL. You get on the train close to the cruise ship if booking through NCL.  You can book the Ghost and Good Times Girls tour independently or through NCL.   I recommend both options if you have time.  

Hi, I am doing Whitter to Vancouver in Sept 2025. on the NCL Jade, any advice for me?

I first recommend that you research what the cruise line offers  These are likely the most popular options available in those ports.

Then as you identify things you want to do, you can then research those items in the port you are in.

IE Whale Watching in Juneau is big.  Then if you search here on Cruise Critic there are a LOT of posts about Whale Watching in Juneau and the groups that people recommend.

Pro Tip:  Many cruise line excursions are large groups.  As in their Whale watching will be on a catamaran with 100+ people.  But you can get on a boat with 6 other people (plus the Captain) for a cheaper price.  Which sounds better to you?  For some, the Catamaran does sound better.  Not to me though!

Another item, if you pick a flying excursion, be careful.   That is one I lean towards going through the cruise lines.   Also, cruise lines offer guarantees that the ship will not leave without you.  If you go out on your own, no guarantee.   Keep that in mind.  Now most operators have some guarantee to get you to the next port but that is not fun.  So there is a little bit of dice rolling involved.  

16 hours ago, Shella73 said:

Thanks for lots of good advice. The cruise line hasn't posted any excursions yet, and I am trying to get an idea of what's available and what it costs.

You could look at any NCL cruise that is going to your ports this year and look at what excursions they are offering at each port. Things may change before next year but it should give you a pretty good idea of what may be available. I hope this helps!

On 1/22/2024 at 8:12 PM, SirTomster said:

Another item, if you pick a flying excursion, be careful.   That is one I lean towards going through the cruise lines. 

I am curioius.  Why do you advocate this?

Go to youtube and search for port names for every stop. Just about every tour will be on there. Look for personal ones not the ad ones and newer the better. Be sitting down when you see the prices. Many will run $200+ and if flying $600+ p/p. There are cheap walking tours and free things to do but dont expect few people and much exciting tours. Some ports will be overrun with people looking for tours or that have already booked tours. We like to know who we go with to be able to read the reviews. I strongly suggest that you know what you are doing before hand and not walk off the ship and wonder what to do.  "Port Monkeys" on youtube does walking tours and they walk alot and cruise alot. For 2025 look now and very likey good info to verify in 2025. In winter many things shut down and info is hard to come by until spring 2025. 

Edited by SightCRR

56 minutes ago, aquidneck1 said:

I am curioius.  Why do you advocate this?

So some of this is based on what I have seen on YouTube.  I think popular Youtuber "Tips for Travellers" mentioned this in one of his Alaska videos.

But also, you can find locals with a plane that will offer the option, but how maintained is their aircraft?  It is one thing to hire someone to drive you around and another to hire someone to "fly" you around.  

I had assumed that the cruise lines would have more requirements for the tour operators they work with to ensure their equipment is well maintained.   Cruise lines do not want to be associated with their passengers dying while on a cruise line excursion.

But now I am not so sure.  I did a quick google search on "Alaska cruise excursion plane crash" and there are unfortunately a few hits. Including people suing the cruise line for plane crashes.  One article did seem to imply that there are no additional requirements to be a tour operator for a cruise line besides adding the cruise line to their insurance.   So do they vet these people and ensure their aircraft are safe?  I had assumed so, but now.. I wonder.

Here is a cruise critic article from 2019 that discusses this.   https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/q-a-are-flightseeing-shore-excursions-safe

So I will be doing 3rd party operators for my pending Alaska cruise, (Whale Watching, Skagway Train) but if I ever want to get into a helicopter or plane, I think I would go through the cruise line just to be a little safer.  Not that this means you are safe, you are flying in a small craft.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 6:51 PM, SirTomster said:

I had assumed that the cruise lines would have more requirements for the tour operators they work with to ensure their equipment is well maintained. 

I have booked the same tour operator so no difference in requirements. No one wants to be responsible for a death.    Thanks for your thoughts.  

On 1/23/2024 at 12:57 PM, jean-lynd said:

You could look at any NCL cruise that is going to your ports this year and look at what excursions they are offering at each port. Things may change before next year but it should give you a pretty good idea of what may be available. I hope this helps!

That's a great idea thanks. 

On 1/24/2024 at 6:39 PM, SightCRR said:

Go to youtube and search for port names for every stop. Just about every tour will be on there. Look for personal ones not the ad ones and newer the better. Be sitting down when you see the prices. Many will run $200+ and if flying $600+ p/p. There are cheap walking tours and free things to do but dont expect few people and much exciting tours. Some ports will be overrun with people looking for tours or that have already booked tours. We like to know who we go with to be able to read the reviews. I strongly suggest that you know what you are doing before hand and not walk off the ship and wonder what to do.  "Port Monkeys" on youtube does walking tours and they walk alot and cruise alot. For 2025 look now and very likey good info to verify in 2025. In winter many things shut down and info is hard to come by until spring 2025. 

Thanks, I am definitely a planner. That's why I am looking now. Thanks for the tip on Port Monkeys, I will look into it.

32 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Michelle with Island Wings is very good.

My husband and son who I am traveling with are excited to do a helicopter tour. My soms GG amd myself, not so much, but you gave a very good recommendation based on my google search  thanks.

On 1/24/2024 at 6:39 PM, SightCRR said:

Thanks, that is just what I will do.