Fast Wide

donaldsc

I need to buy a wide angle fast lens for an aurora photography cruise that I am taking.  I figure that I need a lens that is no more than 20 or 25 mm and at least f/2 or faster.  I am buying it just for this trip and I doubt that I will have much use for it after the trip so I do not want to spend the large amount of money for a good one.  Also even though this trip is expensive my wife with balk at me spending several hundred dollars for a lens that I will not use much.  I may end up buying one of the more expensive lenses hopefully used with the idea of selling it after the trip or else I may buy one of the inexpensive ones with the thought that I may end up liking the lens and keeping it.

1) If I buy one one of the expensive ones can anyone make a guess as to how much of a hit when I sell it to either B&H or KEH.  I would probably buy a lens for $400 or $500.

2) If I buy cheap I am looking at the TTArtisan 25mm f/2 Manual APS-C or Meike 25mm f/1.8 Manual Lens for Sony E-Mount.  I can get either one used form KEH for between $50 and $70.  Has anyone ever used one of these or a similar lens for aurora photography?  The resolution and stuff like that should be good enough for aurora phots but if I use them for other stuff are they decent.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

DON

When I shut down my photography business, I sold off most of my specialty lenses via eBay. You'll get more money there than going through B&H/KEH ime.

I'm not familiar with those lenses (I have Canon) so I can't speak to those lenses specifically though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacMadame said:

When I shut down my photography business, I sold off most of my specialty lenses via eBay. You'll get more money there than going through B&H/KEH ime.

I'm not familiar with those lenses (I have Canon) so I can't speak to those lenses specifically though.

They are inexpensive because they are totally manual focus and of course they are not name brand.  If I use them for aurora then manual focus is not a problem and they have gotten decent reviews. 

In response to penui1n's (by the way love your handle) I have checked on rental places.  The problem is that if I rent the cost for the few places that have the type of lens that I need will be almost $120 and if these used low cost manual lens will work for me it is a better deal.  And I maybe might even decide toi keep it at that price.

Thanks for the thought however.

DON

First, 25 mm on APS-C crop is not that wide. Comparable focal length giving similar field of view on full frame is 37.5 mm.

My current favourite lens for aurora photography is Sony FE 1.8/14 GM. Sure, that is not something I would call a cheap lens, but on the other hand, it offers a lot bang for the buck. And it is still cheaper than Sony's (super) wide angle  f/2.8 GM zooms. And it is also much lighter in weight than those zooms, so that is a definate advantage while traveling. Also it is already few years old, so there should be some available on second hand market, which could offer some savings compared to prices of a new lens.

I have earlier also used other lens, some of which haven't been that fast, but that obviously has meant using longer shutter speeds (although then you sure may lose some details as the auroras may move quite actively) or/and higher ISO (might get more noise then).

Also, you could try using wide angle lenses for other photo subjects than just auroras to justify the cost of your purchase.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hezu said:

First, 25 mm on APS-C crop is not that wide. Comparable focal length giving similar field of view on full frame is 37.5 mm.

My current favourite lens for aurora photography is Sony FE 1.8/14 GM. Sure, that is not something I would call a cheap lens, but on the other hand, it offers a lot bang for the buck. And it is still cheaper than Sony's (super) wide angle  f/2.8 GM zooms. And it is also much lighter in weight than those zooms, so that is a definate advantage while traveling. Also it is already few years old, so there should be some available on second hand market, which could offer some savings compared to prices of a new lens.

I have earlier also used other lens, some of which haven't been that fast, but that obviously has meant using longer shutter speeds (although then you sure may lose some details as the auroras may move quite actively) or/and higher ISO (might get more noise then).

Also, you could try using wide angle lenses for other photo subjects than just auroras to justify the cost of your purchase.

Good thoughts.

DON

Quick reply.  I can't justify the Sony at ~$1200 used.  What do you think about the Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS CS Manual Focus Len which I can get from KEH for #130.  

DON

17 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Quick reply.  I can't justify the Sony at ~$1200 used.  What do you think about the Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS CS Manual Focus Len which I can get from KEH for #130.  

DON

I have the Rokinon 12mm f/2 for APS-C and it is very nice for the price. Sharp and very solid.

2014-36EarlyMorningattheRiver.thumb.jpg.431070362fbc1fe7f8b8ea5a985e1b17.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

I am a Canon user, but have really been enjoying my Sigma Art lenses for Aurora photography. I have a 20mm 1.4 and a 35mm 1.4 and both are amazing. A friend has the 14mm 1.8 and it looks to be on par. I definitely recommend them!

13 hours ago, jnicktem said:

I am a Canon user, but have really been enjoying my Sigma Art lenses for Aurora photography. I have a 20mm 1.4 and a 35mm 1.4 and both are amazing. A friend has the 14mm 1.8 and it looks to be on par. I definitely recommend them!

Sigma does make some decent lenses indeed, but I have to mention that Sigma 14 mm F1.8 is not the most optimal choice for E mount cameras, especially if talking about APS-C camera models, as it is still a design for DSLRs and thus is quite big and heavy. The newer Sigma 14 mm F1.4 has been designed for mirrorless cameras and it probably should work pretty well also in aurora photography since it is aimed for astrophotography, although it is also big and heavy, although it should be more balanced than the older Sigma 14 mm F1.8 as it includes tripod attachment collar. The newer Sigma 14 mm might be still bit too specialized if one does not have that big interest in night photography.

• Like 1

I bought a used Rokinon 12 mm f2 from KEH. It seemed a good fit for what I need at a price I can justify.  I paid $150 for it.  At the end of the trip I can sell it back for about $60 or else I can keep it.  Will keep you posted once I get it and try it out.

DON

• Like 2

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I bought a used Rokinon 12 mm f2 from KEH. It seemed a good fit for what I need at a price I can justify.  I paid $150 for it.  At the end of the trip I can sell it back for about $60 or else I can keep it.  Will keep you posted once I get it and try it out.

I think you made a good decision. I've seen great results from Rokinon for astrophotography. I'm considering picking one up as a dedicated lens for the same purpose over my 24mm 2.8 Nikkor lens.

• Like 1