NOLA Parking - NCL/RCI cruises - Out with the Whale lot, in with the Poydras lot

Source: https://portnola.com/cruise/parking-directions =>

I made reservations for our next cruise. On that "paid pass" it states we can optionally drop our bags at the terminal if we want, then drive over to the Poydras lot. There is a shuttle between the lot and the NCL terminal. Hopefully the Poydras lot will be more secure than the old Whale lot.

Parking for Julia Street Cruise Terminal (Norwegian and Royal Caribbean Passengers ONLY)

• PLEASE NOTE, THE HILTON “WHALE LOT” IS NO LONGER BEING UTILIZED BY THE PORT FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS.
    • Parking is available at the 100 Poydras Garage, located at 100 Poydras St. New Orleans, LA 70130. The 100 Poydras Garage opens at 9:00am (CST) and has over 500 covered and secured parking spaces.
    • Parking rates: $25 per day without reservations and $25 per day plus $1/per day fee for reservations.
    • Norwegian Cruise Line parking reservations can be made here.
    • Please come directly to the 100 Poydras Garage, as a shuttle will be available to take all cruise passengers and their luggage to the Julia St. Cruise Terminal.
    • Please have your boarding information available. You must show it to the parking attendant to enter the facility.
    • Maximum height is 6' 4" and maximum 22 feet in length. Garage is secured, lighted and patrolled.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Apparently no one paid any attention to the above. The NOLA Whale Lot was still being used by many cruisers as of 10 March 2024. However, the 100 Poydras Garage, which is actually the Hilton Hotel garage, was a fine place I used. Covered parking, more secure than the Whale lot.

Doug

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I just booked a cruise today for late October.  The recommended lot is booked full.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

WOW! Already? I have a cruise booked for min-October 2024, and had not even thought about reserving the lot. BTW, when we took our last cruise from NOLA last October, the the "Whale Lot" was still being used. No idea if it is still. There are many places to park in NOLA for cruises I hear, but I have only used the Whale Lot about a dozen times, and the new lot (Hilton Hotel garage) once.

Please post what you find as I may be booking right after you!😎

Doug

UPDATE - I just now tried to book the Hilton garage for dates in July and October 2024, and for March 2025, and get the same error message. I wonder if their computer is down or something right now? I'd suggest trying again in a day or two.

Edited by PaperSniper4

1 hour ago, DorothyB said:

I just booked a cruise today for late October.  The recommended lot is booked full.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

I just booked here: https://neworleansparking.com/reservation. There are several lots listed at that page, so choose carefully, some are covered, some are not, some are not for cruise passengers, etc. I booked the covered Fulton garage, 901 Convention Center Blvd.

Cost is $120.50, pay now, refundable less $5 up to 48 hours before your scheduled arrival time. They have a shuttle between the parking garage and the cruise terminal.

Doug

45 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Please post what you find as I may be booking right after you!😎

Doug

UPDATE - I just now tried to book the Hilton garage for dates in July and October 2024, and for March 2025, and get the same error message. I wonder if their computer is down or something right now? I'd suggest trying again in a day or two.

I did some google search and found this  https://go.lazparking.com/search-results/100-Poydras-St-New-Orleans-LA-70130-USA   I'm wondering if the top link is a legitimate one?? 

It has two options "Reserve Ahead (Taylor Swift . . . " $320 OR 7 day pass for $250 

5 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

I did some google search and found this  https://go.lazparking.com/search-results/100-Poydras-St-New-Orleans-LA-70130-USA   I'm wondering if the top link is a legitimate one?? 

It has two options "Reserve Ahead (Taylor Swift . . . " $320 OR 7 day pass for $250 

Ya got me, Dorothy. Weird. I booked the Fulton place in my post above. It's not very close to the terminal, but has a shuttle and the price for a covered spot was under $125.

Doug

7 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Ya got me, Dorothy. Weird. I booked the Fulton place in my post above. It's not very close to the terminal, but has a shuttle and the price for a covered spot was under $125.

Doug

Thanks - Canceled other reservation and booked the same one you did. 🙂

5 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

Thanks - Canceled other reservation and booked the same one you did. 🙂

Make sure you bring the receipt they will send in email. That's what you need to get into the garage apparently. I was not sure which of the emails was the actual receipt, so I printed them all, about 4 pages, and will have that on my car's dashboard when I arrive in New Orleans. This is a very good price; I hope the garage is as nice as it sounds on their webpage......😗

The papework did not indicate, but we can either drop the bags off at the (RCI) terminal then go to the garage, or simply take them with us on the shuttle from the garage to the terminal. We will probably do the first so we don't have to manage the bags on the shuttle, at least going to the terminal on the day our ship departs.

Doug

I did see that I have to bring PRINTED receipt.  Not sure how much luggage I will have . . . I am Platinum so have one free laundry, but will be bringing laptop & cpap.  If I have just backpack and carry-on suitcase I might not drop them off . . . but just remembered - snorkel & fins . . .