Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

Just now, TigerB said:

That's a bugger! What was the reason given?

This Captain says as little as is humanly possible. Very matter of fact announcement and just mentioned adverse conditions and the need to maintain safety. Personally, I would have gone into more detail about specifically why the weather forecast and the nature of Key West made docking unsafe, so that people have a greater understanding and appreciation, but that’s not his style.

In typical P&O fashion he mentioned that letters will be issued to all cabins for any insurance claims which, of course, is of no use to those who don’t have specific missed port cover. Thankfully, for the first time, we do and this missed port alone will allow us to recover 75% of the cost of our annual worldwide policy - but I’d still rather be visiting Key West. 

• Like 16

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

This Captain says as little as is humanly possible. Very matter of fact announcement and just mentioned adverse conditions and the need to maintain safety. Personally, I would have gone into more detail about specifically why the weather forecast and the nature of Key West made docking unsafe, so that people have a greater understanding and appreciation, but that’s not his style.

In typical P&O fashion he mentioned that letters will be issued to all cabins for any insurance claims which, of course, is of no use to those who don’t have specific missed port cover. Thankfully, for the first time, we do and this missed port alone will allow us to recover 75% of the cost of our annual worldwide policy - but I’d still rather be visiting Key West. 

There is a Hazardous Weather warning for Key West, especially small craft and if it was a tender port this could explain cancellation. I certainly would have expected the Captain to explain the reasons for cancellation in more detail. 

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=153&y=199&site=key&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=153&map_y=199

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

this missed port alone will allow us to recover 75% of the cost of our annual worldwide policy

Only until next year when you renew it at an increased price.

Just now, Snow Hill said:

There is a Hazardous Weather warning for Key West, especially small craft and if it was a tender port this could explain cancellation. I certainly would have expected the Captain to explain the reasons for cancellation in more detail. 

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=153&y=199&site=key&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=153&map_y=199

We were the only ship due in, so would have been berthing 🤔

Just now, david63 said:

Only until next year when you renew it at an increased price.

It shouldn’t affect the renewal at all. The basic cover is provided free of charge, and the claim is not connected to my wife’s medical condition (which we paid extra for). The missed port claim comes from the add on cruise cover, which is a £40 flat fee for everyone.

• Like 6

Day 20 - Monday 22nd January - At Sea

Having thought that the worst of the weather was at long last behind us, we woke to quite rough seas and a fair bit of movement. Thankfully this would calm down fairly quickly. 

After breakfast we attended William Joyce’s next space talk, this time on the search for advanced alien life. This was quite a technical, but none the less interesting, presentation on what constitutes a potential habitable zone within galaxies etc. It took some concentration, but this concentration was interrupted some 7 minutes into the presentation by our friend with the incredibly noisy reversing beep arriving late (again) on his scooter and manoeuvring himself at the back. I understand from those who replied that the volume may not be adjustable, but there was a lady also on a scooter and the reversing beeper on hers made a fraction of the noise. If I used a scooter that was so incredibly noisy I would arrive everywhere early so as to minimise the disturbance to others, and if I was running late then I would skip the performance or talk, but maybe that’s just me?

We still hadn’t received our complimentary Champagne for being Caribbean tier, so I reported it yet again at reception. They looked on their system and said that our steward had delivered it on 5th. No he hadn’t! Thankfully it arrived later in the day. 

At 1130 we attended the next port talk, this time on St Vincent & Barbados. We then went for an early lunch in the MDR. I had pulled pork, which was lovely, but the soft corn tortilla that accompanied it was inedible. 

Christopher Biggins did ‘An audience with’ in the theatre. It was a bit awkward when it came to questions from the audience as only one or two people had any! After this we went to Raffles for a drink, during which time the Captain informed us that our port call in Key West tomorrow has been cancelled. He just mentioned ‘conditions’ and the usual disclaimer about ‘our safety is paramount’ but failed to give a proper explanation as to why, which irritated not just us but others around us. My wife was particularly disappointed as, unlike me, she had never been to Key West before, and we had been keeping an eye on the weather forecast which had initially been showing a rainy day for our visit but had improved considerably. It also means that we now have another run of 4 sea days, which we thought we were done with until the final run home 🙄.  

At 5pm I attended the penultimate classical piano recital with Roman Rudnytsky in the Playhouse, which I enjoyed as much as the previous 3 concerts. Afterwards, to burn off some of my frustration at the cancelled port call, I paced 6 laps of the promenade deck. 

Tonight was the 4th (of 11) black tie nights but I am at a complete loss as to why. There was no special menu and no special entertainment, so why a black tie night? A complete waste of time IMO. My wife and I had Chicken Tikka Masala for dinner. That’s the first time that I’ve eaten a curry in a dinner suit - and I’ve had an awful lot of curries in my time. I don’t mind dressing up formally for a special night with a special menu, but this should have been an evening casual dress code. 

Prior to dinner we went to the Crows Nest for a drink. It was all fairly quiet until I became aware of the sound of somebody chocking and then an older gentleman got to his feet clutching his throat and staggering around as though he was about to pass out. I rushed over and asked his wife if he needed a medic and I then asked a staff member to call for one. They took quite some time to arrive (had it been a heart attack it would have been too late) but thankfully he had recovered by the time they arrived. 

Dinner was pleasant and although my wife was prepared to give ‘Vocal Comedy Entertainer Ben Moss’ a go in the theatre, she sensed my complete lack of enthusiasm, so we called it a night. Tomorrow should have been Key West but is now yet another sea day, but with very little happening. 

• Like 20

Sorry you've lost Key West. You are unfortunate that you are sailing US ports during one of their odd pattern weather sectors.  The Keys can be very windy due to being islands connected by long bridges (as of course are the Florida beach areas).  Further up the chain the Seven Mile Bridge is expecting 35 to 40mph gusts and the areas you've left behind are currently under severe rip tide warnings along the beaches stretching from Palm Beach down to Islamorda (half way down the chain of Keys) - sad that I am for many years i have received daily weather reports from the southern Florida area together with the local newspapers electronically and January is often a story of extremes day to day.

Has the Captain given any indication of expected sea conditions/weather in New Orleans?  You may need to be prepared for some heavy rain although thankfully the very low temperatures of the past week have improved greatly from today.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Having thought that the worst of the weather was at long last behind us, we woke to quite rough seas and a fair bit of movement. Thankfully this would calm down fairly quickly. 

After breakfast we attended William Joyce’s next space talk, this time on the search for advanced alien life. This was quite a technical, but none the less interesting, presentation on what constitutes a potential habitable zone within galaxies etc. It took some concentration, but this concentration was interrupted some 7 minutes into the presentation by our friend with the incredibly noisy reversing beep arriving late (again) on his scooter and manoeuvring himself at the back. I understand from those who replied that the volume may not be adjustable, but there was a lady also on a scooter and the reversing beeper on hers made a fraction of the noise. If I used a scooter that was so incredibly noisy I would arrive everywhere early so as to minimise the disturbance to others, and if I was running late then I would skip the performance or talk, but maybe that’s just me?

We still hadn’t received our complimentary Champagne for being Caribbean tier, so I reported it yet again at reception. They looked on their system and said that our steward had delivered it on 5th. No he hadn’t! Thankfully it arrived later in the day. 

At 1130 we attended the next port talk, this time on St Vincent & Barbados. We then went for an early lunch in the MDR. I had pulled pork, which was lovely, but the soft corn tortilla that accompanied it was inedible. 

Christopher Biggins did ‘An audience with’ in the theatre. It was a bit awkward when it came to questions from the audience as only one or two people had any! After this we went to Raffles for a drink, during which time the Captain informed us that our port call in Key West tomorrow has been cancelled. He just mentioned ‘conditions’ and the usual disclaimer about ‘our safety is paramount’ but failed to give a proper explanation as to why, which irritated not just us but others around us. My wife was particularly disappointed as, unlike me, she had never been to Key West before, and we had been keeping an eye on the weather forecast which had initially been showing a rainy day for our visit but had improved considerably. It also means that we now have another run of 4 sea days, which we thought we were done with until the final run home 🙄.  

At 5pm I attended the penultimate classical piano recital with Roman Rudnytsky in the Playhouse, which I enjoyed as much as the previous 3 concerts. Afterwards, to burn off some of my frustration at the cancelled port call, I paced 6 laps of the promenade deck. 

Tonight was the 4th (of 11) black tie nights but I am at a complete loss as to why. There was no special menu and no special entertainment, so why a black tie night? A complete waste of time IMO. My wife and I had Chicken Tikka Masala for dinner. That’s the first time that I’ve eaten a curry in a dinner suit - and I’ve had an awful lot of curries in my time. I don’t mind dressing up formally for a special night with a special menu, but this should have been an evening casual dress code. 

Prior to dinner we went to the Crows Nest for a drink. It was all fairly quiet until I became aware of the sound of somebody chocking and then an older gentleman got to his feet clutching his throat and staggering around as though he was about to pass out. I rushed over and asked his wife if he needed a medic and I then asked a staff member to call for one. They took quite some time to arrive (had it been a heart attack it would have been too late) but thankfully he had recovered by the time they arrived. 

Dinner was pleasant and although my wife was prepared to give ‘Vocal Comedy Entertainer Ben Moss’ a go in the theatre, she sensed my complete lack of enthusiasm, so we called it a night. Tomorrow should have been Key West but is now yet another sea day, but with very little happening. 

I used to have a white dj.I would have been terrified eating CTM being the messy sod that I am.Sorry that you missed your port.I remember worrying throughout a cruise that we would miss the Falklands as most ships do.We made it in and was a great experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry you've lost Key West. You are unfortunate that you are sailing US ports during one of their odd pattern weather sectors.  The Keys can be very windy due to being islands connected by long bridges (as of course are the Florida beach areas).  Further up the chain the Seven Mile Bridge is expecting 35 to 40mph gusts and the areas you've left behind are currently under severe rip tide warnings along the beaches stretching from Palm Beach down to Islamorda (half way down the chain of Keys) - sad that I am for many years i have received daily weather reports from the southern Florida area together with the local newspapers electronically and January is often a story of extremes day to day.

Has the Captain given any indication of expected sea conditions/weather in New Orleans?  You may need to be prepared for some heavy rain although thankfully the very low temperatures of the past week have improved greatly from today.

How are you feeling MB? Jane xx

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It shouldn’t affect the renewal at all. The basic cover is provided free of charge, and the claim is not connected to my wife’s medical condition (which we paid extra for). The missed port claim comes from the add on cruise cover, which is a £40 flat fee for everyone.

I'd be interested to know the outcome of this. One of the things that discourages us from selecting Cruise Cover add on, is how it affects next year's renewal in the event of a claim. 

At renewal time, there is always a question relating to whether you have made a claim in the last X years, and our assumption is one would have to declare the missed port payout. This would presumably affect the premium, and given the loading for our medical conditions, the difference could be more than the payout.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Key West port call has been cancelled. Very disappointing, not least because it now means that we have 4 sea days in a row between Miami and New Orleans 🙄

I'm so sorry to read this despite understanding the reasons it was necessary. Key West is one of my favourite ports and as your wife has never been, I'm not surprised she was disappointed. 

You have definitely had a few challenges and poor weather on your cruise and I do hope you continue to be able to tell us that you are still enjoying it overall.

And no, it's not just you who would not enter a theatre late whilst at the same time disturbing others!

We are now 3 weeks into our 5 week cruise and I'll still be following yours long after I'm home, so thank you for the time you put in to allow us to share, I especially enjoyed the Miami photos, which were fabulous 👍

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andy24v said:

I'd be interested to know the outcome of this. One of the things that discourages us from selecting Cruise Cover add on, is how it affects next year's renewal in the event of a claim. 

At renewal time, there is always a question relating to whether you have made a claim in the last X years, and our assumption is one would have to declare the missed port payout. This would presumably affect the premium, and given the loading for our medical conditions, the difference could be more than the payout.

It shouldn’t affect the basic premium as @Selbourne said but I think that due to the recent catalogue of missed ports on cruises the add on premium could increase. 
sorry you missed Key West, we enjoyed our visit there. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Beckett said:

How are you feeling MB? Jane xx

Not very good I'm afraid.  Doctor noted no improvement on the chest in fact right side is apparently "extremely rattly" whatever that means.  I've now been given another stronger antibiotic and am revisiting doctor Thursday with a view I may need to see medical facilities ashore in Barbados on Friday.  It was mentioned St Maarten has excellent European facilities if nothing improves but I'm going to hope for Barbados in case of the worst as far more flights home from there!  Allianz are being very good although I will not get confinement payout as believe it or not only first 48 hours was mandatory. Thankfully I have had the pneumonia jab and apparently this is helping keep the infection down.  I'd just like to sleep as I've not really been able to for 4 full days now.

Thankfully we have a deluxe balcony so my husband has moved to the sofa bed and so far - touch wood - hasn't gone down with anything.

Very glad to have lots of active threads on CC at present to occupy my sleepless nights.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I noticed that too- dress uo for dinner and no special menu. So if lots of people complain P&O can drop half of the black tie nights due to "customer feedback"?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not very good I'm afraid.  Doctor noted no improvement on the chest in fact right side is apparently "extremely rattly" whatever that means.  I've now been given another stronger antibiotic and am revisiting doctor Thursday with a view I may need to see medical facilities ashore in Barbados on Friday.  It was mentioned St Maarten has excellent European facilities if nothing improves but I'm going to hope for Barbados in case of the worst as far more flights home from there!  Allianz are being very good although I will not get confinement payout as believe it or not only first 48 hours was mandatory. Thankfully I have had the pneumonia jab and apparently this is helping keep the infection down.  I'd just like to sleep as I've not really been able to for 4 full days now.

Thankfully we have a deluxe balcony so my husband has moved to the sofa bed and so far - touch wood - hasn't gone down with anything.

Very glad to have lots of active threads on CC at present to occupy my sleepless nights.

So sorry to hear you are unwell but it does sound like you arae being well looked after.

Do I remember correctly that you went on a Celebrity cruise? If so I woud be interested to know how it compares to P&O. We are going on Millenium soon.

20 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I noticed that too- dress uo for dinner and no special menu. So if lots of people complain P&O can drop half of the black tie nights due to "customer feedback"?

I imagine if a poll of passengers was taken, then reducing all ships to at the most 1 formal night per week would win.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

So sorry to hear this MB. As a person who's had pneumonia twice and pleurisy three times I know how painful this can be and how difficult to sleep. Please don't hesitate to seek medical advice in Barbados. I wish you better. Jane xx

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sounds similar to my illness, just started 3rd coarse of antibiotics, had chest x-ray yesterday, and gave other samples as required. waiting for results. Have a good trip, and may I suggest that you do your homework regarding available emergency facilities should they be needed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Last year I had 2 episodes of chest infections - needed 2 courses of antibiotics for the first and another one for the second.
Very unusual for me.

x-ray showed infection in first case but all clear after antibiotics.

Took ages to shift.

Both cases were after Marella cruises with loads of people coughing - fly cruises.

Doctor said there were some very nasty infections going around last year.

Tested negative for C both times.

Hope things improve - best of luck.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So sorry to hear you are unwell but it does sound like you arae being well looked after.

Do I remember correctly that you went on a Celebrity cruise? If so I woud be interested to know how it compares to P&O. We are going on Millenium soon.

Yes we were on Celebrity Beyond over Christmas.  We absolutely loved it. It was my OH's first move away from P&O apart from one Cunard cruise and I'm now informed it's his go to despite the Miami flight.  I've only sailed Edge class ships so the dining arrangements are not really comparable with MDRs on P&O or other ships but I can confirm the quality was high and varied. We were lucky that we had the AI as a promotional add on as the drinks etc were extremely expensive.  I had to take a deep breath at the cost of excursions they sell but we had made our own arrangements so no problem.  Our deal was very reasonably priced but we caught it right.  That said the quality of service, cabin and overall facilities was so high I'd have happily paid more.  As most here know I'm a total devotee of Cunard and love the formality. Celebrity was the total opposite in that regard but Dress to Impress nights seemed well supported.  The P&O experience is still fun and offers a good deal, particularly on speciality restaurants, drinks and excursions but overall we think in future for our special cruises over Christmas, anniversaries etc we will definitely think of Celebrity and Cunard going forward.  I love P&O but my last two voyages - can't count this one really - did not offer the same thrill and well being feeling as my Celebrity and Cunard ones.

You might want to ask Presto2 her opinion when she returns from this first Caribbean cruise as she loved her Celebrity trip and will obviously have had a far better Britannia trip than us this time around.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind good wishes which are much appreciated.  Not wanting to block Selbourne's excellent thread with my woes I'll just say if anything changes or gets drastic I'll let you all know on a new thread.

Thanks again.

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes we were on Celebrity Beyond over Christmas.  We absolutely loved it. It was my OH's first move away from P&O apart from one Cunard cruise and I'm now informed it's his go to despite the Miami flight.  I've only sailed Edge class ships so the dining arrangements are not really comparable with MDRs on P&O or other ships but I can confirm the quality was high and varied. We were lucky that we had the AI as a promotional add on as the drinks etc were extremely expensive.  I had to take a deep breath at the cost of excursions they sell but we had made our own arrangements so no problem.  Our deal was very reasonably priced but we caught it right.  That said the quality of service, cabin and overall facilities was so high I'd have happily paid more.  As most here know I'm a total devotee of Cunard and love the formality. Celebrity was the total opposite in that regard but Dress to Impress nights seemed well supported.  The P&O experience is still fun and offers a good deal, particularly on speciality restaurants, drinks and excursions but overall we think in future for our special cruises over Christmas, anniversaries etc we will definitely think of Celebrity and Cunard going forward.  I love P&O but my last two voyages - can't count this one really - did not offer the same thrill and well being feeling as my Celebrity and Cunard ones.

You might want to ask Presto2 her opinion when she returns from this first Caribbean cruise as she loved her Celebrity trip and will obviously have had a far better Britannia trip than us this time around.

Thank you. You have confirmed what I thought. We have the Classics drinks package fortunately.  The trips are expensive but atm they are offering a discount if you book before hand. Most of the trips have sold out and we are struggling to find even non ship ones as these are sold out as well.

I see on the Celebrity boards that there have been lots of cuts but as we wiil be newbies wwe won't know any different. Hope you feel better soon,

• Like 3