Sailing for the first time in a long time, a couple questions...

AlpacaBag

Posted (edited)

Hi there, Sailing Princess again for the first time in a long time. Last time we sailed was on the Regal and I had a near death experience on St. Thomas that really ruined my taste for cruising for a while. By the time I was ready to do it again, the pandemic was here and we sorta forgot about it. That was, until a few nights ago when my partner suggested it for Christmas 2024. So, we booked the 10 night Enchanted that leaves Fort Lauderdale on Dec 20th last night.

Since it's been a hot minute, I have some questions. I did some searching to find answers to others I have, so these are the ones I couldn't find easily with the search.

1. Is there an HDMI port on the in-cabin telly we can use?

2. We booked with Plus, so there's just the one WiFi device connected. Has anyone obtained one of those travel routers that allow you to connect to the MedallionNet and then creates a private WiFi network you can use with your own devices? If so, is there a model you'd suggest? I have a few models to look into, but always appreciate additional suggestions. I know MedallionNet uses a captive portal for signing into the wifi, but there are companies who make travel routers that support that type of authentication, unless their IT has sorted out how to block this, lol

3. I have learned of the AARP method of acquiring gift card to save some money on the overall cruise, which is such a fantastic thing. If I have money left over on a Princess gift card, can that balance be applied as OBC?

4. About Port Everglades - We''re up in Jacksonville FL so it's feasible to drive, take the rail, or fly. Last time we did this, we flew from JAX to FLL and Ubered over to the Port, and we may do that this time, but one thing that stuck out was having to stand in what felt like a bus depot outside of the Port for several hours with our luggage before we went inside (to wait a bit more and then we went thru the luggage process before waiting a bit more, and then boarding, per normal processes). Has the port changed in any way that has an air conditioned seating area, or do they still have passengers stand outside? I heard there's a lounge but that sounds like it's only for VIP guests and is in a building that is semi-next-door, their HQ. The standing and waiting isn't so bad, I mean, you're about to go on holiday - but the smoke and smog from the bus depot was the part that really bugged me.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Edited by AlpacaBag

Welcome to cruise critic. I can't answer all, but I try what I can.

1) from what I hear the are HDMI ports on some TV's but may be hard to reach or get to work.

2) With the plus package, each person with the package can have 1 device (at a time) to the wifi. you can disconnect 1 device and switch to another.

3) Never tried this.....yet.

4) they have made Port Everglades better (at lease pier 2) and it is A/C'd

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Enchanted is our favorite Princess ship!  Enjoy! 

Great questions.  Sorry I can't help with helpful answers.     

Totally okay, the answer I found to using the rest of a gift card for OBC is yes, it can be done. Also, re: the travel router, I found a company that makes what I'm seeking. 🙂

Glad to hear about the Enchanted, we are very much looking forward to it.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know - if we do 360 - do we have to dress formal?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlpacaBag said:

Totally okay, the answer I found to using the rest of a gift card for OBC is yes, it can be done. Also, re: the travel router, I found a company that makes what I'm seeking. 🙂

Glad to hear about the Enchanted, we are very much looking forward to it.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know - if we do 360 - do we have to dress formal?

Have not done 360, so can't help there either.   Another incredibly unhelpful answer!  haha.   

• Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

The travel router should work fine. When looking they are also called MiFi (Mobile WiFi). It should cost much tbh... you won't need any bells and whistles. Take a look here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tn7HJtpZI

Disclaimer: I have not used one on a cruise but from what I have seen it should work fine.

Thanks All! Much appreciated. Now if I could get my logins sorted with Princess.com vs the Princess app, I'd be set. Have some time today to call them and try to work it out. Send positive vibes, lol